IT.COM

BulkRegister Opens .pro Pre-Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
BulkRegister Opens .pro Pre-Registration

May 30, 2003 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- BulkRegister (bulkregister.com) announced yesterday that it is accepting defensive registrations from trademark holders during the "sunrise period" for the .pro domain that ends June 30. The company will also be accepting advanced pre-registration from all qualifying professionals.

The .pro domains are available only to licensed legal, medical and accounting professionals. Registrants must certify that they meet the domain’s eligibility criteria in order to qualify for pre-registration.

The “live launch” of the .pro domain is scheduled for July 1.

All new domains will be issued with a digital certificate that facilitates secure online communications and transactions.

"The new .pro domain, with its professional certification process and security standards, is a requirement for our members who need to create a secure environment to exchange sensitive information with their clients," said BulkRegister CEO Thomas Cunningham. "In addition, having a .pro name conveys credibility to potential clients and will provide significant differentiation in a highly competitive online business environment. We encourage all potential registrants and trademark holders to act now to protect their brands, before the land rush on .Pro begins July 1."

Based in Baltimore, Maryland, BulkRegister is a provider of B2B domain name registration.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One .Pro registrar indicated costs of $225 US-Dollars per domain/year in addition to a verification fee of 100 US-Dollars. Domains are not transferable.

I mentioned that to a doctor friend of mine who knows little about the internet. However, he wanted to know if he got injury.med.pro, law.med.pro, or health.med.pro could he get enough PPC to cover annual registration and hosting costs – or is that an improbable long shot?

I am interested in everyones opinion?

Good luck,

•••
Personally, at this early juncture, I'd rather see one pay to obtain ****Pro.com or something similar, rather than rely solely on these upcoming extensions. Especially for possible PPC's. IMHO.
Good Luck to you and your friend.
See you.

•••
Is this the only place offering .pro ?

Their website says 'coming soon' and you have to pay $79 before you can even register any domains - any idea of when 'coming soon' is?

I think we can meet the req's in one way or another - there's one name I want - just from a marketing standpoint it will sound great (the .com .net are already taken) - I don't mind spending the $.

•••
Will the "little guy" be able to reg any .pros?

ST

•••
Originally posted by Coastalguy

ST
Well i can see it now, www.game.pro is what i would like :D but yeah, it'll never happen.

•••
Any news on this tld? I'm interested in it because of my shoutbox script ShoutPro (http://www.shoutpro.com). .pro would be an ideal fit for the site, but all of the restrictions along with the hefty reg fee are problems. Plus the way I'm reading it I don't think I'll be able to register shout.pro, just shout.law.pro or something. Not good.

•••
Originally posted by Coastalguy

ST
Certainly, if the *little guy* meets the requirements:

The .pro domains are available only to licensed legal, medical and accounting professionals. Registrants must certify that they meet the domain’s eligibility criteria in order to qualify for pre-registration.
B-)

Personally I feel the cost is highway robbery, and the registrars are the only one's winning here.. IMO.. a .pro should be as moderately priced as the .com / .net etc..

•••
Originally posted by WandaCox
Certainly, if the *little guy* meets the requirements:

B-)

Personally I feel the cost is highway robbery, and the registrars are the only one's winning here.. IMO.. a .pro should be as moderately priced as the .com / .net etc..
Same here. The restrictions are preventing it from becoming a viable tld, which I think it has the potential to become.

•••
Originally posted by DuffMan
Same here. The restrictions are preventing it from becoming a viable tld, which I think it has the potential to become.

Bingo!
New meaning to the term "Land Rush", IMHO. :D
Have a great domain evening.
B-)

•••
I hope these restrictions are challenged in court because what gives ICANN the right to decide what/who can be termed pro? Why would they favor, for instance, accounting professionals over sales professionals? Also, will they honor traditional eastern definitions of medicine or does the internet only belong to western definitions?

This is clearly elitist and seems to have free speech issues.

Should it really be left up to ICANN to classify society?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back