Dynadot

advice Can I use Facebook?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RR151

Established Member
Impact
I currently purchased a food-related local domain that is for a specific city. I am looking for a specific end user that might want to use this domain as a food critic blogging asset.

I have found a Facebook group that has members that are from the local city and are interested in talking about food. Has anyone joined a Facebook group that is directly related to a specific domain then went looking for a buyer for the said domain name?

Godaddy Appraisal has priced my domain at $750 USD and I am asking $300 USD.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated, RR

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only started looking into Facebook recently myself for this, but one thing it does have going for it is the ability to search for Places and Pages that relate to what you have to offer. As for joining groups in order to do this, that's not something I've really thought about to be honest.

•••
Yes, that is what I thought...

I am going to try this strategy and see if I can find a buyer...just wondered if anyone else has looked into joining Facebook groups that directly relate to their domain name topic...RR

•••
Using Facebook advertising might be an option (it's been a long time since I used it so things may have changed). You pay a few cents per thousand shows and you can target really quite specific users in areas such as location, gender, interests, age etc.

•••
You can spend many hours searching and connecting with "interested" domain buyers on Facebook, and you might find a buyer. Or, you can invest those many hours in something else - less iffy maybe - and probably make much more than $300!

•••
You can spend many hours searching and connecting with "interested" domain buyers on Facebook, and you might find a buyer. Or, you can invest those many hours in something else - less iffy maybe - and probably make much more than $300!

very wise / useless advice. please kindly add what you suggest as an alternative to the " many hours " spent as us novice folk be open ears and willin to hear.

as per the facebook, I am fairly new, but I am experimenting between outbound emails and company facebook, I write a very short, and overly polite request to have the inquiry forwarded to the " ideal decision maker " which I write this way also.

for my short domaining experience so far, I will add trying to explain value is probably very hard, and a losing game long term. and godaddy appraisal should have basically zero to do with anything.
base 80% on what their current domain will benefit from yours, and 20% on other things, example search if its an EMD for blogger will this benefit as good results / low CPC if they use for adwords etc...

just my 1 low copper content cents worth.

•••
Or, you can invest those many hours in something else - less iffy maybe - and probably make much more than $300!

Webdigger...what do you spend your marketing time at?

Regards, RR

•••
I spend most of my time developing/marketing sites. I'd even rather do freelance writing on fiverr than soliciting domain sales on facebook! Sorry, but domaining today is not as easy or profitable as it was a while ago.

•••
So you pick a domain then develop the website. After it is developed you then market the website and not just the domain...RR

•••
I was done with domaining a long time ago and switched to website marketing instead. I don't just buy/reg any domain and develop it, but I go for the ones related to my topics of interest, develop and monetize them, and maybe sell them at some point later, but I mostly keep them.

The "name" has lost its SEO power a decade or more ago as it started to get less and less of a significant factor in search rankings. And that was a big reason many buyers wanted keyword names and were willing to pay top dollar for those. Today, as far as google rankings are concerned, buyshoes.com is just as "rankable" as shoemew.com or shoepew.com. I'd rather pay $10 instead of $100,000 for the domain and invest the $99,990 in developing and marketing the site!

•••
Here is one of my ideas...I have created a logo and banner ad for my first domain...

Next, I have created a PDF form called an Electronic Wine Journal...

On the top of this one page PDF is a recipe for let's say, Chicago Pizza. In the middle, I have a PDF form called an "electronic wine journal" and at the bottom is a banner ad with a link to the domain.

The domain is currently parked so it goes to my for sale landing page but if sold the banner would then go directly to the domain...

With the sale of the domain, I would give a 25 piece PDF database of these "electronic wine journals with different pizza recipes" The new owner could use these assets as a viral give away traffic tool for the new website.

Any thoughts, RR

•••
If you could find that buyer first!

I used to spend time "embellishing" domains by setting up a website and adding some kickoff content, but then I noticed most potential buyers couldn't care less about my efforts. If they weren't interested in the domain then any free "extras" won't help much. So I started developing sites for myself and making money from affiliate opportunities (among others). I'm not saying that's easier, but at least you'll have much more control over your ventures and less speculation and wishes.

•••
So we are not talking about a $300 domain name anymore...You are talking about the building of a full-blown web presence that is monetized and making you a living.

That is something quite different than a domain buy/sell. I am not sure that this first domain that I have chosen warrants that kind of effort and cash flow.

Thanks for the information WebDigger, RR

•••
Most groups on facebook do not allow advertising, spamming, etc.
You may join a group and then list your domain for sale.
And watch the post disappear along with your membership in the group.

•••
Good Point iowadawg...Thanks, RR

•••
I have joined my first food group and have submitted my first pizza recipe with my banner ad that just has the logo, domain name, and a pizza picture. This group encourages submitting your favorite recipes.

As iowadawg has pointed out this is not the place to hard sell your domain.

I think I will submit all my recipes with the banner ad intact to see if anyone is curious enough to click through to my landing page...

Just an update, RR

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back