NameSilo

cctld's pickup up momentum?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems that I see some unusual cctld's that have appeared to make some decent money. Are these starting to gain momentum as the best generic .com's have become a fantasy for most? I know that .de, .co.uk and to some extent .fr have done well for some time, but .se, .at , .pl. and .be seem to have done a small number of decent sales.

I own a very good generic, but in the .vg extension. realestate.vg. I have considered dropping it in the past and despite most people telling me it's a waste, I just think that I would kick myself in five or ten years.

Are these sales going to people in those regions you think or is it indeed just good purchase opps for people?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Few people know what the future holds.. And fewer of the people who have a clue "know" but "believe" and perhaps try and influence.

I don't want to make this into a religious thing, but the world is changing consciously (i.e. before women couldn't vote in America and Africans picked crops under the pressure of whips and guns....) and that consciousness has a will of its own (we used to think these things were okay..) so it depends on many things.

With the economy coming down, things can go either way. What I know though, is what is now. I guess you can go by two things, what you believe in is right, and current trends. For example, Mexico and canada largely use their internet extension.. I don't know about .vg.

•••
It seems that I see some unusual cctld's that have appeared to make some decent money. Are these starting to gain momentum as the best generic .com's have become a fantasy for most? I know that .de, .co.uk and to some extent .fr have done well for some time, but .se, .at , .pl. and .be seem to have done a small number of decent sales.
This is not what I could call fresh news :)
Perhaps .se .at .pl .be are 'unusual' to you but they are heavily used in their respective countries.
I have already sold a few names in these extensions. I would say .pl is particularly strong.

I own a very good generic, but in the .vg extension. realestate.vg. I have considered dropping it in the past and despite most people telling me it's a waste, I just think that I would kick myself in five or ten years.
I don't think you will get a good return with it.
.vg is a waste of time and money IMO. The local market is very limited (British Virgin Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and the extension does not even appear to be very much used in its own territory.

I would put .vg roughly in the same basket as .cc domains, they are as worthless as they were 10 years ago. (Cocos Islands permanent population: approx. 600 people...).

My advice: stick to the mature extensions (that is most of Europe for example) and observe the emerging ones (Asia, Latin America).

•••
Actually, .CC is quite popular in certain asian countries, aka china. Dunno why, it just is.

•••
cc = communist China...perhaps? :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back