NameSilo

Cease & Desist from Match.Com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
I guess I should check my email box more often. I had a present waiting for me today. :D

Someone should tell lawyers to not make their letters look like a spam virus. The subject line was "Important Correspondence" and the body said "Please read the attached correspondence. " with a dodgy looking Word Document attached.

I almost deleted it. I would have if I didn't have decent virus protection.

Here's the letter.

-------------------------------------------------
ATTORNEYS AT LAW

<attorney contact info>

June 26, 2003

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL and ELECTRONIC MAIL
[email protected]

Honest Internet
640 Bailey Road
PMB 219
Pittsburg, California 94565

DATING-MATCH.COM

Dear Sir or Madam:

We are trademark litigation counsel for Match.com, L.P. ("Match.com") which provides on-line dating and introduction services under its famous and distinctive service mark MATCH.COM. Match.com has registered this famous mark in the United States Patent and Trademark Office for on-line dating and introduction services (see Exhibit A). Match.com provides its services through its Internet web site located at www.match.com.

We have learned that you have registered the domain name dating-match.com, which incorporates and simulates our client=s service mark and company name. Your registration of this infringing domain name falsely suggests an affiliation with our client or its business, and is likely to deceive the public. Accordingly, your registration violates federal and state law, including the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which provides for causes of action in federal district court for injunctive relief, monetary damages, and attorneys= fees.

Accordingly, we demand that you immediately:

1) Execute, have notarized, and deliver to us a transfer agreement, in suitable form, transferring the infringing domain name to Match.com, along with any other similar names that you have registered;

2) Cease and desist from any use of the infringing domain name and any other imitations or simulations of our client=s name, trademarks, or service marks; and

3) Countersign and return to us a copy of this letter, confirming that you agree fully to comply, and are promptly complying, with the above demands.

If you wish to resolve this matter amicably, we must receive your countersigned copy of this letter within fourteen days of the date of this letter. If you use, sell, or offer to sell the infringing domain name after your receipt of this notice, we will regard your actions as deliberate and willful violations of the law discussed above. Until and unless we notify you in writing that this matter has been resolved, our client reserves the right to take legal action against you without further notice.

Sincerely,

<attorney>

Enclosure

AGREED TO BY:

Name: _______________________________

Signature: ____________________________

Date: ________________________________

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At least you got money for it.

•••
Yah I get $75 for SegaGames.com but damn Check was made out to my Online Company which isnt registered so stinking CCB wouldnt cash it gah $75 down the drain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back