Dynadot

China Becomes Strict with Registrars

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2003/11/22/2003076827

In the article it says that china has become stricter with Domain registrars stating they need:
-1,000,000 yuan (121,000 USD) as start up capital

-15 employees

-24 hr support

It also states that registrars must clean out bad names once a day. This I beleive affects registrars from the country but do you think its a good idea?

It also ties in a little religion or whatever the Ministry of Culture is.

Sounds to me this is like Communism on the web D-:

Any thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what would be considered a bad name?

•••
sex.kids...LOL I forgot who regged that, they were talking about in the chat a day or two ago.

•••
hahahah sex.kids thats as bad as MichaelJackson.kids

•••
I believe Falungong would be extremely a bad name in the view of Chinese government.

•••
yesonline,

What does Falungong mean?

Nate

•••
beats me

Do you know
if the population of china were to pass you by walking in a straight line it'd never stop

because of the rate of birth in the country

hahahaha

Last edited:
•••
•••
The registrar requirements do sound strict, but it's within their prerogative if they want to keep control over their domain name system. ICANN also has requirements, such as $70k working capital.

This is the scary part of China's involvement on the web. Too bad for their citizens. :(

Beijing has a special force of at least 30,000 "cyber cops" who patrol the Web, block some foreign news sites and shut down domestic sites with politically incorrect fare.

•••
Sounds like Chinese are gonna have to fork the bucks over

Two years ago, I spent 7 months in China and had a blast! That's why I chose billinchina as my username, since I live in South Florida now.

Since only rich people are going to be able to setup registrars, I bet domain registrations are going to cost them a fortune just like they used to cost us a few years back!

Maybe the Chinese people will need to use chubaba.com (my literal translation of godaddy into Chinese pinyin) hahaha. It might be qubaba but chu sounds better.

•••
"Beijing has a special force of at least 30,000 "cyber cops" who patrol the Web, block some foreign news sites and shut down domestic sites with politically incorrect fare"

China. AOL. What's the diffrence?

•••
Originally posted by painperdu
China. AOL. What's the diffrence?

:lol: superb - you could also probably add the UK into that as well - new Snooper Laws just passed here D-: :sick:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back