IT.COM

new gtlds Chinese investors account for more than half of the ownership of all registered new gTLDs (54%)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
_55C3537EC3902B8893913C4A203322AA2ABCF75DD8F7B6837F_pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Currently Chinese investors account for more than half of the ownership of all registered new gTLDs (54%).

This growing trend greatly effects global trade, says Matthias Meyer-Schönherr, Vice President Business Development of Sedo.com, the world´s largest domain marketplace.

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And?
Whats the discussion you would like to start?

•••
And?
Whats the discussion you would like to start?

This is the discussion and actually pretty darn good Information if I may add !

This is huge news. And if you've spoken with Chinese investors you would know that. They are always saying "no gtlds" haha. But the evidence proves otherwise ! Nice work

•••
i guess in a way china is the newbie of domaining? if so then let's just call this ultra sad statistic as newbie mistakes and learning process.. and let's pay no attention to it, and wish them speedy learning and better wiser domaining choices in future.

•••
My thought as well. I guess China harbors a lot of newbie investors with newfound wealth.
Have you seen the garbage being bought by Chinese lately eg in .cm .ws etc.

•••
New gtld investment is not good move and it's like suicide after all those buyouts.

•••
This is what dumping the dollar looks like, they are "newbies" sure, but I think it speaks louder about the mass exodus on dollar holdings "positively" affecting every sector of the US economy. Look at real estate, art, hotels, businesses, etc etc etc. This is the wave before a tsunami of worthless fiat currency hurdles over the horizon with hyper inflation.

Look at the Fed's decision not to raise interest rates this quarter, it's a huge sign that their QE recovery attempts are just a complete failure. Yesterday's forecast for the first quarter of this year was barely .5% in GDP growth, what's stopping it from being negative?

The Chinese are astute, some of them may have elected to hand register domains instead of buying in the aftermarket, but not all of them! Yesterday the Chinese Yuan had it's biggest rise against the dollar since like 2005, and with QE4 coming soon, there is nothing holding propping up the dollar like the Yuan did in QE1.

Negative interest rates soon? Who knows, let's hope not.

•••
i guess in a way china is the newbie of domaining? if so then let's just call this ultra sad statistic as newbie mistakes and learning process.. and let's pay no attention to it, and wish them speedy learning and better wiser domaining choices in future.

If you consider it relevant that new gtld's are registered by the Chinese, then its also interesting to see what ngtld's are registered by them and what ngtld's arent. .xyz domains are registered for 45% through 2 chinese registrars and for another 20% by a Japanese registrar.
.top more than 50% through Chinese registrars.
.red more than 95% through Chinese registrars.
.online only 16% through Chinese registrars.

•••
Most of these are worthless regs and will end up getting dropped.

•••
What percentage of new TLD registrations are held by individuals with fewer than three years of domaining experience? My guess is 75%.

What portion of my current portfolio is comprised of domains acquired my first two years? Maybe 10% and mostly lower-value .Net domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back