IT.COM

new gtlds .Cloud hits general availability on Tuesday

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Affordably-priced domain name presents an opportunity for domain name investors.

The company has delivered on the pricing promise. GoDaddy and other registrars are offering the domain names for about $20-$25.

With many “cloud” .com domain names selling for five figures, this seems like a good opportunity for domain name investors. There are no restrictions on registering .cloud domain names.

.Cloud had 500 sunrise applications and 2,651 landrush application

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'll take kw+cloud.com
over kw.cloud
any day all day long for rest of my days

say hello to another extension scam

now go make someone other than yourself rich if you wanna

•••
I think this extension has some possibilities. Cloud has become a very common computing term throughout the world.

•••
googling site:cloud shows that it is promising..

•••
Anyone know where to find a list of premiums?

Get.Cloud says:
Consider also that while most domains have a standard price, a small number of high-value domains are considered Premium and have higher price tags attached.
Your Registrars will be able to provide you full information on the cost of the domain you wish to register.

But registrars' sites essentially say "ask the registry."

•••
Another niche TLD. How many keywords make sense in that extension. Not so many. And you bet the most desirable keywords are out of reach. Not even in your dreams.

•••
All the companies that are using anything regarding "Cloud" computing already have a website and domain name to use for their "cloud" business.

I don't see the point in trying to buy into .cloud and trying to sell to an existing company. Makes no sense at all.

How many keywords make sense in that extension. Not so many.
I completely agree with you on that!!!
There will be a bunch of people buying 3N.cloud and 3L.cloud domains though :(

Cloud technology is just that....TECHNOLOGY! These domains will be completely useless when the next new technology comes out that leaves .cloud in the ether!

•••
•••
Domain names are technology. As more people use apps, domains will be useless, right? :)
Not really, we still need locators on the Internet. Or use plain IP addresses. What is possible is domain names becoming less prominent, but you don't want to install an app for every site you visit. Not to mention that an app is platform-specific.

•••
Another niche TLD. How many keywords make sense in that extension. Not so many. And you bet the most desirable keywords are out of reach. Not even in your dreams.

Like you said out of reach on anything good but that's the norm now. Went for one lets see if it hits my account today.

•••

HeadInThe ?

•••
most of the keywords are toooo expensive. yes there are few left for $20, i thank the registry .lol

•••
I have forex (dot) cloud in auction, u think I should bid for it?

•••
•••
It was crazy, many of the subpar names were 5-6 figures.

PR was misleading.

Meeting.Cloud is priced at $120,000

They got everything good tagged, you are most likely registering garbage if it's reg fee.

•••
I personally see value in .Cloud.
The extension is here to exist!

•••
I bought a few NNN chips.

What the heck, when .XYZ and .CLUB launched I stayed away, when I should have piled in.

Don't think the term 'cloud' is going anywhere, and there will be more cloud companies and services in the future, not just the ones we have today.

•••
Value? What value if you register garbage sure, mid level domains are not for investors, only end users no value for you as an investor.

If you got anything at reg fee 99 percent chance it's a stretch, and your reaching.

•••
I don't see any value in domains anymore unless they're top-tier which 99% of us can't afford anyway.

Eventually in 5-10 years something better will come out, that doesn't require us to type a web address. Apps are here now but are they really taking away from people typing out domains? Not really.

I recommend everyone getting involved in a better industry where real money is made by more than the few at top.

•••
I don't see any value in domains anymore unless they're top-tier which 99% of us can't afford anyway.

Eventually in 5-10 years something better will come out, that doesn't require us to type a web address. Apps?
I recommend everyone getting involved in a better industry.
I've been hearing that for 15 years. lol

•••
I've been hearing that for 15 years. lol

I know, right? It will eventually happen though. I'm getting tired of seeing all these numbered domains for sale. The whole point of the domain industry was to give people short urls so they didn't have to type numbered ip addresses but it seems the chinese like to do everything backwards. Numbered domains aren't good for any brand. No one's going to remember to go to 8111181.com. That's worse than typing an ip address.

•••
Once the Chinese go thru a renewal cycle on the thousands of crap domains they hold it will be a different story.

.xyz has gained sub culture traction for sure.

.Cloud is already one step ahead with 777.Cloud priced at $18,000

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if there could be value for CityName.cloud domains? I'm still on the fence if I could see businesses using them...

•••
I think domains are more like street addresses and phone numbers, nothing will ever completely replace them. Lots of things have changed over time, but some haven't. Lets say you started a new online business, or just a website, and you want to tell people about it. How in the world do you get them to your website without giving them a domain 'address'? With all the amazing advances in tech and computing the last 20 years, no one has come up with a better or easier method than a domain name to find something on the web. Even the millions of apps out there haven't come close to replacing domain names.

•••
Once the Chinese go thru a renewal cycle on the thousands of crap domains they hold it will be a different story.

.xyz has gained sub culture traction for sure.

.Cloud is already one step ahead with 777.Cloud priced at $180,000
November/December this year will be interesting for sure to watch renewals. That's when people will have to decide what to keep from everything they've bought, and what to let drop. The more exotic extensions and looooooong numerics will probably drop. The flipside is what will the competition be like in the drop auctions, and will domains people don't want to renew at $18 go back into availability and get regged again for first year $1.49?

If .xyz and the other extensions you can reg first year for ~$2 could be renewed for the same price, you'd see a lot more retention. Even .co you can get first year around $10, but then renewal is at least double that. Some extensions should consider lowering their renewal rates. Sure, buy a .mobi now for $1.49, but you have to renew at 10 times that price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back