Domain Empire

Copyright violation

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm new to "domaineering" and looking for some guidance. I'm interested in sports domains and wondering if I buy any domains with "nba" or "nfl" in them, would I be in violation of any laws? I saw someone selling "theallstargame.com" today and wondered if it was "nbaallstargame.com" instead - would that be illegal? What if the site contained no NBA logo in its design and was just a forum type fan site?

thanks!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There's no easy answer. The NBA owns a trademark on the term 'NBA' and have the right to control where it is used. If you owned NBAALLSTARGAME.COM and they wanted to stop you from using it, they most likely could.

If you had an established fan site like you said, it's possible you can develop legitimate rights to use it, but that would be for a judge to decide. Personally, I would avoid it and pick a more generic name that would serve the same purpose.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back