NameSilo

CSS help - link color

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi, all. :)
Question: how do I get my links under a certain style to be a specific color? (I don't know CSS; I'm just messing around with the tools in Expression Web 4.)

Here's the style for my text:
Code:
#update_text
{
	font-family: Verdana;
	font-size: 9pt;
	text-align: left;
	color: #716f6d;
	font-weight: bold;
}
Trouble is, the links come out blue, and I want them gray. How do I do this? (I currently have an a:link {color:#9c6449;}, but it doesn't seem to affect links under #update_text.)

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you using an external style sheet or internal? You should be able to do something like this:

#update_text a:link{
text-decoration: none;
color: #9c6449;}

Last edited:
•••
Is #update_text defined in your stylesheet before you set the link color? If so, just move it somewhere after the link color definition in your stylesheet.

•••
Ah, perfect. :) Thanks, guys. I just didn't understand the "#update_text a:link" format. I tried copying stuff from other CSS files, but didn't land on anything that worked.

Btw, how do I add a:visited, a:active, and a:hover to that?
I tried this, but it didn't do anything:

#update_text a:link, a:visited, a:active
{
color: #7d654d;
}

This below worked, but it seems like there should be a more efficient way, right? (I may have to make tons of these, so, I'd like to know if there's an easier way.)
#update_text a:link {color: #7d654d;}
#update_text a:hover {color: #a89180;}
#update_text a:visited {color: #7d654d;}
#update_text a:active {color: #7d654d;}
Also, with the above code, visited links don't change to the hover color, when you hover. They remain default.
(Btw, the page I'm talking about is my sig link. See the "Updates" box.)

Last edited:
•••
use "," for short way:
#update_text a:link, #update_text a:visited, #update_text a:active {color: #7d654d;}
#update_text a:hover {color: #a89180;}

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back