IT.COM

advice Dealing with generic keyword domains.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoneDeranger

Established Member
Impact
Hi everybody,
What if I own a generic keyword domain name, say usedclothes/com (for example) and i'm willing to sell it. How do you deal with this kind of domains? do you try to flip it? Is trying to contact an end-user is necessary considering that there is no specific end-users you can point on? And which website would you recommend me to use for listing ?

I thank you for your answers in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if you owned "usedclothes.com" then you probably would be getting some type-in traffic, which in turn could earn you some ppc money.

and....., if that was the case, then you could sit on your ass and collect checks until somebody made you an offer that would "make you sell it".

and.... basically whatever ppc company you used, would have a "listing and selling" service as well.

and..... if I owned it, I would not contact anybody, I'd just wait for the right offer.

imo....

•••
You don't sell generics... generics sell themselves.

•••
You don't sell generics... generics sell themselves.

+1

Good domains sell themselves with a small touch of distribution, Sedo, Afternic, DomainNameSales etc... where domains without quality you can beat down doors and still have a hard sale. Capitalize on the gems cause they aren't cheap to replace these days.

•••
•••
•••
I understand, so you'd recommend me to put it for parking at sedo or any service alike, earn money for it, and wait for the buyer to come to me?
And if the traffic is high with the domain, how much would i earn for a month, approximatley ?

•••
•••
Hello, what I meant was that many generics in the past would have sold more easily (around the 90s till mid 2000s). With the boom of social media, internet, advancing technology, growing affluence of the public, a younger computer-savvy generation, greater general understanding the internet, etc ...many start-ups and companies are able to reach out to the public and their customers without the necessity of a generic domain.

For example...everyone knows what is uber. If uber had been some sort of an online taxi booking start-up in the 1990s or early 2000s, without the social influence of social media, technology, a not-so tech savvy educated public then, they would have required much much more resources as compared to now to get their brand across.

So if uber is operating in the past, they would most probably go for the domain.....taxibooking.com (example) to help explain to the public as the domain is self-explanatory. In this case, the domain taxibooking.com might be worth a lot more as compared to now.

So to round it off, good generic names would still sell themselves but as companies or start-ups today do not necessarily need it, certain generic names might need a little more work or convincing to sell as compared to the past.

•••
Thanks for the detailing. Your words make sense. Though my opinion is irrelevant for i am only a "beginner", so accepting your opinion is probably the best thing I can do!

•••
However, there is a question: how many exact monthly searches should a keyword domain get to be considered able to "sell itself". I suppose that keywords domains that get let's say only 1,000 ems are not very useful.

•••
@LoneDeranger - Everyone here is learning including me and every opinion is valuable (including yours), so let's help out one another in this unique domain industry :D

•••
However, there is a question: how many exact monthly searches should a keyword domain get to be considered able to "sell itself". I suppose that keywords domains that get let's say only 1,000 ems are not very useful.

Great question, I was about to ask it too.
@LoneDeranger - Everyone here is learning including me and every opinion is valuable (including yours), so let's help out one another in this unique domain industry :D
Agreed ! As soon as the fog decays a bit..

•••
I understand, so you'd recommend me to put it for parking at sedo or any service alike, earn money for it, and wait for the buyer to come to me?
And if the traffic is high with the domain, how much would i earn for a month, approximatley ?

no can say what you will earn, as that will be determined by "keywords, advertisers, visitors and origin of that traffic" as well as "the % of revenue share" that any specific ppc service will pay.

in general:

"Exact Monthly Searches" is irrelevant to a domains' ability to entice a potential buyer to submit an inquiry or offer, without solicitation on the part of the owner.

a domain can "sell itself" and have no measurable search volume.

as every situation, depends on the actual name.

:)

imo...

•••
a domain can "sell itself" and have no measurable search volume.

I would not argue with that, but I am saying something different. I am saying that a domain with a high search volume can usually "sell itself". Not that a domain with a low search volume can not.

•••
high search volume does not guarantee the domain will sell itself, as that "volume" must equate to some measure of "actual traffic" to the domain, before those search numbers can be taken seriously.

additionally, the domain itself must make sense.

to go further, domains with high search volume are more likely to receive offers from other domainers, more so than from end-users. so when it "sells itself", is it being sold to another domainer at lower margin or an end-user to get max roi?

prior to goog keyword tool, yahoo's overture tool was the standard measure of traffic volume.

though on occasion that tool also produced high results for terms and phrases, but some of those specific domain names that showed "results", actually had no traffic at all.

a lot to think about when it comes to domains selling themselves. :)_

•••
Thank you all for your comments so far, very educating comments !

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back