NameSilo

Discuss your Epik Experience!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dandelion

Top Member
Impact
I think Epik is building the best ever Domain Lander in the history of domaining, and it really needs to be talked about extensively. That's why I am creating this discussion thread. A lot of thought process really goes into the project. And I can see (for the first time) a landing page that is built from the stand point of domainers rather than for just the marketplace itself.

Everything you have ever dreamt of getting or seeing in a professional landing page can be found in the new Epik marketplace landing page design.

Some of my Favorites Features:

1. The ability to optimize your "domain for sale" landing page to actually rank on Google, displaying your sales pitch/domain description. I just did that with few of my generic domain names such as ASAP.TV, targeting certain keywords, and they are showing pretty well on Google. That's a huge plus in my marketing effort.

2. Being able to change background image is another huge one for me. If you are good with pictures and images, you will surely find this very useful. I did that with Nagasaki.org and the result was truly amazing, showing the city of Nagasaki right at the background.

There are too many positive features and I don't want to mention all of them, all alone :xf.grin::xf.grin:

So I am leaving you guys to share and discuss what you loves most or dislike about the new Epik marketplace and the landing pages.

The only negative for me is the checkout process. There are too many terms and conditions buttons to tick before checking out. It will be nice if they can streamline those into one beautiful big button :xf.cool:

They also need to place the checkout button directly under the payment options. Right now it is awkwardly place somewhere below at the sidebar, which I don't find cool at all.

Sales experience is also welcomed in this discussion. I haven't had any sells so far at Epik because I started using the marketplace just recently, but the future is looking so bright.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At first I didn't like it, but with time it made more sense to me.
Since you also made a 6 figure income, it means that you also have internal pricing and screening tools, and do not pay for example $1400 for a domain that barely worth regfee on expired auctions just because godaddy so recommends :) Which is what it should be.

Last edited:
•••
@tonyk2000 Yeah. Their tool annoyed me at first. But the more I used it, I realized that it's a very good tool for screening. Also, I realized that it's quite a good thing to have for brandables. Unlike Estibot, Godaddy's tool often gives most lower end domains the same range of appraisals- in the $1000-$2000 range. It can help convince buyers, who often don't have a clue that domains can cost $XXXX, that a domain is worth buying at that range.

Last edited:
•••
@tonyk2000 Of course I don't pay what the appraisals tell me the domain is worth. I'm not an end user. :)

•••
@tonyk2000 Of course I don't pay what the appraisals tell me the domain is worth. I'm not an end user. :)
hyphenated .coms value
T*H*E*-*CA*R*S*.*C*O*M estibot value $5,900
t*h*e*-*r*a*c*e.com sold for $5,000

•••
@BrandCollectors.com I don't deal with hyphened domains. This isn't an exact science, but it can be helpful in getting some sort of indication about the domain's worth in most cases in the higher range.

•••
•••
@tonyk2000 You don't have to show me examples. I have plenty of examples from my own domains that were appraised low and sold high and vice versa. Automatic appraisals and human appraisals can't nail a price because ultimately it depends on the buyer and the seller and the specific domain. I'm just saying that using them as a general guide can help and that in some cases, these appraisals can be helpful in getting people to pay more or justify the purchase if the appraisal is given by a source they trust.

Last edited:
•••
because ultimately it depends on the buyer and the seller
The key. You nailed it :) Estibot wants to make $$$ by selling paid subscriptions - everybody is welcome to join. No problems. But, without extra internal tools and human analysis such a domainer will fail (unfortunately). The same applies to automated godaddy appraisals on expired auctions where folks sometimes pay exactly these *shown* appraisal values or higher. But, we are in Epik related thread. Epik wants to develop appraisal tool? Fine. Why not to make it private and call it recommended price for existing marketplace listings. The reasons are obvious...

Last edited:
•••
@tonyk2000 People in auctions who pay Godaddy's appraisals or anywhere near that aren't very likely to make a profit. Those prices are meant for end users, not resellers. As for Epik's future tool- I think the main reason they'll be creating it for is in order to have something public that would help justify prices of lower end domains to end users at the point of purchase. I think there's merit to that. But yes, like all appraisal tools it won't be perfect and in some cases it could get in the way of sales if the appraisal is too low for the seller or be used in UDRPs to prove a domain isn't worth the asking price. So is it better for it to be public or private? I really don't know.

Last edited:
•••
The automated appraisal engine are based on > Market values (compiled data, past sales + sales variation) excluding any of conclusions (subjective, objective examples s.a. brand name attribute, practicality [spelling, radio test, pronunciation, syllables, etc], condition [used for PPC, Spam, Scam, etc], size of namespace, traffic, etc ).

Where the idea/rule;
The buyer always have influence over the market value and the seller hardly can have influence over the market value (... where the seller is forced to follow up) is established to protect the market from the monopoly or from the price manipulations (pump ups, shill biddings, etc well known # DN aftermarket auctions).

So all depending on the purpose of an DB driven appraisal engine: to stabilize the market price or to lift up the price for everything above $25k. Bellow <$25k | - float + | Above $25k >

Regards

Last edited:
•••
i think some of appraisals should be fixed
similar sale in .net is $x,xxx (namejet) Epik showing $75 for .org
Epik appraisal data is coming from Estibot directly at the moment
Also, the .org may not have so much value, aswell as the .net
Everyday many domains sell and some of them for incedible ridiculous prices

Gube

•••
See here from Rick Schwartz:

https://twitter.com/DomainKing/status/1206310183191957506

He is beating this topic hard of "Price Upon Request" versus "Make Offer".

If you want to have us switch the default text to "Price upon Request", like this post and will update it when we get 10 folks confirming to make that change. If you don't want that idea then dislike it.

•••
Much respect to Rick Schwartz, he's a visionary and I'd cut off an arm to own some of his domains but personally I'm not a fan of 'Price Upon Request'. I feel like in negotiations, the party that makes the first offer enters the negotiation from a weaker position. Even if they're lowballing, I'd like to see where they're at. Sometimes they might make a higher offer than expected.

•••
Much respect to Rick Schwartz, he's a visionary and I'd cut off an arm to own some of his domains but personally I'm not a fan of 'Price Upon Request'. I feel like in negotiations, the party that makes the first offer enters the negotiation from a weaker position. Even if they're lowballing, I'd like to see where they're at. Sometimes they might make a higher offer than expected.

Thanks -- I think it is not worth a limb to own some of his domains. However, when a rich domainer needs an organ donation, I now know where to send them!

•••
•••
@Rob Monster Well... I said an arm. Not sure I'd give other organs. :) I think that for super high end premium portfolios- Price Upon Request makes more sense. For low end domains- I don't think it makes sense. The starting offer could be more than you expected. Happened to me a few times. For everything in the middle- maybe. It would take some experimenting.

•••
@Rob Monster Well... I said an arm. Not sure I'd give other organs. :) I think that for super high end premium portfolios- Price Upon Request makes more sense. For low end domains- I don't think it makes sense. The starting offer could be more than you expected. Happened to me a few times. For everything in the middle- maybe. It would take some experimenting.

Although I agree with you on the Make Offer discussion, I just find out now a bit disturbing that you just have twice confirmed the cut off of your arm.

Now I would like to see Rick offering you one of his domains, let's say in exchange for your right arm, for a clean and nice cut off, just wondering what would happen :)

Last edited:
•••
@Sutruk Ha ha. I'm just using the arm as a way to demonstrate how valuable some of his domains are. I definitely prefer to keep both of my arms and in a real world scenario I'd (probably) prefer to keep my arm than get Queen.com, for example.

•••
Although I agree with you on the Make Offer discussion, I just find out now a bit disturbing that you just have twice confirmed the cut off of your arm.

Now I would like to see Rick offering you one of his domains, let's say in exchange for your right arm, for a clean and nice cut off, just wondering what would happen :)

Dang Bro, you just dared @SuperBrander to man up and go on live video cut off a limb for a 7 figure domain name. This is salacious stuff that can be serialized into episodes like "Temptation Island".

Reminds me of this:

https://twitter.com/MrBeastYT/status/1206538525925167104

•••
Dang Bro, you just dared @SuperBrander to man up and go on live video cut off a limb for a 7 figure domain name. This is salacious stuff that can be serialized into episodes like "Temptation Island".

Reminds me of this:

https://twitter.com/MrBeastYT/status/1206538525925167104
hahahahha :D well, I just have noticed his double post about his arm... On the second I was hoping him just to say that it was a joke... but nope, he agreed about the cut off of his arm :D

•••
You guys are taking me waaaaaay too literally. :)

•••
@Sutruk Ha ha. I'm just using the arm as a way to demonstrate how valuable some of his domains are. I definitely prefer to keep both of my arms and in a real world scenario I'd (probably) prefer to keep my arm than get Queen.com, for example.
Yes this is what I was thinking :D
A limb, even if its "just" an arm, has no price :)

•••
I have been able to curb declining low-ball offers since I implemented the Price Upon Request strategy. The approach begins with a request from the buyer, it does leave some room for better negotiations because there is no forced priced in their mind they should stick to. For example: I offered $xx now you tell me your price.

•••
Rick himself says, by the way, that for domains under 10K- a BIN is probably best. That's what's relevant for most domainers. I usually use BIN at Afternic and make offers on most landing pages.

Last edited:
•••
Until we can have appraisals done by AI it will be wise to at least get a few input from the pros here in addition to any appraisals given by automated scripts (which are different than AI).

Imagine if you could put all the collective knowledge contained here on NamePros or better yet the whole domain Industry into one program and if that program could add to all that knowledge on its own and come up with new insights that didn't exist before then you are beginning to have the makings for AI Appraisals.

That's why I registered these two domains couple of weeks ago:

AiAppraisals.com

and

AiAppraised.com

IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back