NameSilo

Do Some Endusers Prefer Other Extensions to .Com??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainerelite

Account Closed
Impact
Are there cases where You contacted an Enduser(Who has a developed site with an inferior Extension to .Com probably .net, .info .mobi) Analysing to the Enduser why dot Com is good choice and more preferred and the Enduser bluntly refused. Have anyone come Across such experience ??

Share your Experience Here.

Please i need to know this, All domain guru's both (Experienced and professionals and Newbie) All are Welcomed......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dot com is only relevant in USA.

In other parts of the world it is not that important.

It all depends who you end user is.

•••
.Com is generally the preffered TLD, not just in the US but globally.

You do sometimes get end users who might prefer a TLD like . io or .online or .club perhaps but this is mainy when their business name compliments the TLD... like for example AOL could really want something like America.Online ...

As a general rule though .com is normally the preferred TLD.

•••
Dot com is only relevant in USA. ?????

Please explain ;)

•••
Dot com is only relevant in USA. ?????

Please explain ;)
In Australia 99% of websites use dot com dot au
In UK majority of websites use dot co dot uk extensions

In China majority use dot cn extension

Please dont take offence...the world does not revolve around USA.

•••
Developers and end users generally speaking just don't like paying for an aftermarket domain. Yes in many countries the CCTLD is commonly used. However, in countries like Spain, Mexico, Colombia, COM is also commonly used. But if .COM is taken by a domainer and the CCTLD is available for reg fee....

It is really sad the thought process given to many companies' domains. A company which wants to open a retail outlet or restaurant will give serious consideration to the location because it will affect their business. Lease payments on a good location can run six figures annually. But when it comes to domains, just do a search for your domain's keywords on Google or Bing and see the domains that come up. Hyphentated, abbreviated, weird extensions, etc - really poor quality domains. This means that the thought process into registering the domain was similar to that of buying a waste basket for the break room - any old domain will do as long as it doesn't cost more than $25-$50. Yet there has to be an adverse impact on their branding and marketing if the front door to their online business is a poor-quality domain.

•••

Your Opinion is not totally correct sir, You deviated from topic a bit, Majority in Australia might Use com.Au, China .cn, Romania .ro, Canada .ca, Nigeria .ng but all those are Cctld(Country Extensions) not my point exactly, i meant for(.info . net . org . mobi) which are all in the category of. com itself as top-level domain (TLD). Please i someone to share a story where he approached an enduser with his dot com name and the Enduser chosed to stick with his extension(other TLD) for some reasons. that's my point.

•••
......... has a developed site with an inferior Extension to .Com probably .net, .info .mobi .......
Firstly I don't agree with the term inferior Extension. At the end of the day, its the website, the product/service the seo and a whole lot of other things matters, not the superior extension. Its the website which pays back an end user, not the extension.
Not talking of country level tlds, as a web developer have faced many clients who prefer other inferior extensions. I have many clients who opted for .org, and .net and few also .info while the superior extension was still available. Trust me, there are many websites with the inferior Extension and no one is bothered to register the superior Extension yet.

•••

The world may not revolve around the USA but it is revolving around .Com.
.Com is often the preferred extension of many non-U.S. countries.
You're right that Australia isn't really interested in .com as they use .com.au but China for example LOVES .com. This year alone there are already millions of .coms registered/purchased by the Chinese.

•••
Fact of the matter is .com is what everyone wants right now, unless it's for regional use such as .ca, .au etc.

The companies which use regional extensions usually redirect the .com to the .ca, .au etc.

Unless the company could care a less about internet traffic then trusted ccTLD's like .ca , .au work just fine.

Any eCommerce site will or should want .com.

imo.,

1) .com
2) emd gTLD
3) ccTLD

eg.,

1) CleaningServices.com
2) Cleaning.Services
3) CleaningServices.ca

I think Cleaning.Services could have equal value to .com but most of us will be dead by that point. ;)

Also note that depending on previous use the .com could be black listed so companies may be using .net for a reason.

just my 0.02$ :D

•••

Maybe, but the internet revolves around .com ;)

•••
If the internet revolved around dot com then why does google use hundreds of extensions. Why dont they just use google.com?

•••
If the internet revolved around dot com then why does google use hundreds of extensions. Why dont they just use google.com?
So they have more domains that lead to google.com

•••
So they have more domains that lead to google.com
They don't lead to google.com
If you live outside the US you can't easily access google.com - unless you know how to bypass the other extensions.

•••
Yes, Google use ccTLD of each country as default landing...

•••
p.s. I don't comment this thread because no any sense to prove something for Americans... this is just waste of time...
p.p.s. And actually - you can make money with all popular gTLDs and with all strong ccTLDs.

•••

Sure, ccTLDs are often preferred in their respective countries but often Keyword + .COM.AU/.CO.UK/whatever is taken early by some major player. Not to worry because .COM always works well, too.

Even though e.g. .COM.AU would be preferred in AU, people would have absolutely no problem to remember, recognize etc. should someone decide to use .COM. As said, .COM always works regardless of the country. It's universal, it's recognized, it's simply the S#%*.

•••
To answer the original post:
Some end users are on .org for a reason and wouldn't switch to .com, even for free :)

With ccTLDs it's a different story. There are many end users who would like to own the .com in addition to their ccTLD, but not as a replacement. Also, many corporate end users have a global site on .com and ccTLDs to serve the national markets they are active in.

There are at least two reasons why a potential end user will pass on an 'upgrade':
  • price (or they don't see the value in branding etc)
  • they are afraid of the transition, and SEO cost. The old domain has to redirect to the new one, and E-mail addresses also have to be 'remapped'. It's not a process everybody is comfortable with.
People like security, and will not take a chance to break what ain't broken.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back