Dynadot

poll Does the industry need a marketing re-brand?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Does the industry need a marketing re-brand?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • YES

• NO

• MAYBE

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Top Member
Impact
Should the industry change it's branding of Domain Names to Domain Property or something more relevant to the product?
If so, what do you suggest? Why?
If no, Why?
Cheers

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No. Domain names is perfectly fine. Frankly, not sure where you're coming from with this (n)

•••
Why do you want to change it, anyways its on you, call it the way you like..

•••
To a user, it is essentially a name - that is what matters.

•••
This Industry needs to change its reputation first and foremost.

•••
No. Domain names is perfectly fine. Frankly, not sure where you're coming from with this (n)
If you re-read the question you should be able to figure it out. If not,
Here is another question: When you refer to your physical address do you call it a name?

•••
This Industry needs to change its reputation first and foremost.

Agree.
Re-brand could help.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
•••
Why do you want to change it, anyways its on you, call it the way you like..
Changing the descriptor changes the perception. I believe this "product" could use better branding that the rest of the world can relate to by common association.
Calling it a NAME when it is actually a digital address has always seemed odd to me.

•••
Here is another question: When you refer to your physical address do you call it a name?

I'm with Domains-Wanted. It's called a domain name because that is what it is...a domain name. And I refer to my address as what it is...my address.

•••
Okay, now I understand where you're coming from: you're confusing a domain name with a web site. It's not. It's a reference, a pointer. To a physical server with an IP address. Similar "relationship" as a street name (a virtual reference) to your (physical) address on the surface of planet earth.

In answer to your question: yes, I refer to my physical address using a street name! How else?

And I refer to my web address, or email address for that matter, using a domain name.

Last edited:
•••
I'm with Domains-Wanted. It's called a domain name because that is what it is...a domain name. And I refer to my address as what it is...my address.
If you know the history it was simply a domain. Name was added later. A domain is an address.

•••
If you know the history it was simply a domain. Name was added later. A domain is an address.
No, it had always been an Internet domain name. Domain for short.

•••
Okay, now I understand where you're coming from: you're confusing a domain name with a web site. It's not. It's a reference, a pointer. To a physical server with an IP address. Similar "relationship" as a street name (a virtual reference) to your (physical) address on the surface of planet earth.

In answer to your question: yes, I refer to my physical address using a street name! How else?

And I refer to my web address, or email address for that matter, using a domain name.

No confusion. Does one really say this is my street name? NO. one says this is my address.
Does one really say this is my email name? NO. one says this is my email.
Do you really say this is my web name? NO. one says this is my website.
Does anyone develop domain names? NO. they develop websites.
Does one search in the domain name bar? NO they search in the address bar
This is why I'm asking. Few outside the industry refers to a domain or access to as "MY DOMAIN NAME"

Last edited:
•••
Few outside the industry refers to a domain or access to as "MY DOMAIN NAME"

No one other than domainers even refer to them as 'domains'. People usually call them URL's or something similar, but they definitely don't call them 'domain property' or 'domain product'.

•••
Does the industry need a marketing re-brand?
Yes.

Should the industry change it's branding of Domain Names to Domain Property or something more relevant to the product?
If so, what do you suggest? Why?
Digital Asset is the most suitable. It defines the nature and value of web address.

•••
No one other than domainers even refer to them as 'domains'. People usually call them URL's or something similar, but they definitely don't call them 'domain property' or 'domain product'.

Exactly. Regular people call them URL's or something similar.
A Uniform Resource Locator (URL), commonly informally termed a web address
Which was used before the term domain name.
So why not call them something more in line with how they are perceived?
Why should a URL that people understand be sold by a brand name that nobody understands?
Simply URL's or ?
Any suggestions since property or product doesn't work for you?

Last edited:
•••
Most people are not familiar with quantum physics theory and they speak only their one native tongue, so they don't realize and it's very hard to explain to them that they live in a virtual reality, not in the real world. And names (references) are what make up this VR world. No need for VR goggles/headset! :dead:

You want proof? Try this: look outside through a big hole in the wall of the room you're in. What are you looking out through? If your answer is "a window", you are both right and wrong. A French guy will say it's "la fenêtre". Polish will say it's "okno". All are just names, relative and imperfect references to the real physical world. Which, by the way, we don't even see! If you'd paid attention in Physics class in school, you know we only see the light reflected from the real, physical world, objects. Dogs "see" that same world very differently :xf.wink:

I mention all this to explain, illustrate, what names really are: invented words, sounds, neccessary to communicate after a fashion. Ditto Internet domain names. They are just another small cog in this reference system of ours.

Last edited:
•••
Exactly. Regular people call them URL's or something similar.
A Uniform Resource Locator (URL), commonly informally termed a web address
Which was used before the term domain name...
Ohh, boy!
URL's (for short) and domains (for short) are two very different references. An URL is a web address par excellence. Sometimes it makes use of a domain name as part of that address, for example:
http://www.domainname.com/files/images/something.jpg

I said sometimes, because this is also a proper URL: http://255.255.255.255/files/images/something.jpg

And both of the above URL's may refer to the very same resource (content on the same server). The first one being an alias of the latter, thanks to an "A" record reference in the respective domain's (for short) nameserver.

In fact, there can be multiple "A" records for one domain (for short), pointing to different servers with different content, resulting in very different websites popping up every so often under the first URL above (but not the latter one).

Last edited:
•••
you said,
An URL is a web address.
I said,
A Uniform Resource Locator (URL), commonly informally termed a web address.
Your almost there!
you said
"a domain name as part of that address".
So by your logic a domain is an address and the name is only a part of the address.
Cheers

•••
you said,

I said,
A Uniform Resource Locator (URL), commonly informally termed a web address.
Your almost there!
you said
"a domain name as part of that address".
So by your logic a domain is an address and the name is only a part of the address.
Cheers
By your "logic" - maybe. Not, however, by any logic they teach in university class :xf.wink:

Sorry, I give up. I feel I'm :banghead: here. Stick by your guns. No skin off my nose. Good luck with your rebranding whatever :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Just as a physical domain is called REAL ESTATE. A digital domain should be called... REAL URLSTATE.

Such a re-brand would equate the property markets for consumers and investors.
Enhancing the 'real property' perception of virtual names will upgrade the value matrix of the marketplace and associate the industry, and its practitioners, with a well accepted and respected business practice.

Real URLstate is also consistent with the Initial branding of similar offline/online business practices:
Commerce = eCommerce (Retail = etail) / Mail = Email -and so on. But, Real Estate was taken, so Real Urlstate is the next logical defining name for URL properties.

A domain is only a name at birth. When it grows-up to be a Google or NamePros - its an Estate / Urlstate.

I own Real Urlstate .com so I'm all ready re-branding, with a landing page -for now.
Of course, a little re-branding help would be nice... but I'm not holding my breath.

•••
What Re-Branding Looks Like....

•••
Such a re-brand would equate the property markets for consumers and investors.
Enhancing the 'real property' perception of virtual names will upgrade the value matrix of the marketplace and associate the industry, and its practitioners, with a well accepted and respected business practice.

Of course, a little re-branding help would be nice... but I'm not holding my breath.

Thank you!
Suggestion appreciated!

•••
By your "logic" - maybe. Not, however, by any logic they teach in university class :xf.wink:

Sorry, I give up. I feel I'm :banghead: here. Stick by your guns. No skin off my nose. Good luck with your rebranding whatever :xf.smile:
Thank you for giving up. Your need to display some form of educated intelligence is obnoxious.
This thread is for suggestions based on yes or no. Take that to your communications professor.
Cheers

•••
Thank you for giving up. Your need to display some form of educated intelligence is obnoxious.
This thread is for suggestions based on yes or no. Take that to your communications professor.
Cheers
Er... no comment :glasses::ROFL:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back