Dynadot

Domain name dispute: both parties use the name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Clikact

Impact
I have a friend in Tennessee, who has a domain name she registered for her restaurant in 2010.

She was able to get the exact domain name of her business and so she registered it and has been using it since 2010.

The website is up and running - has been for 3 years.

She was contacted recently by another business - a restaurant in another state that is using the exact same name for their business. That restaurant is incorporated and they incorporated in 2010. They currently do not have a website: they want my friend's domain name.

Personally I don't think the other restaurant has a leg to stand on - my friend was not parking the site, she's been using it, and the other company does not have a Trade Mark.
The name of the restaurant is not that common, but there are probably 20-30 throughout the country that use this name for their businesses. So I think it would be very difficult to move to have it Trademarked.

The other restaurant is very aggressive and is constantly calling and is starting to become harassing. I don't believe they are using a lawyer - the owner is doing this.

My friend contacted a lawyer today, but the lawyer sounds unfamiliar with domain name issues.
Any suggestions?
your time is much appreciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back