IT.COM

Domain Name Parking Newb Questions...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kconan

Established Member
Impact
I've never looked into parking until recently, and I've got some questions I haven't been able to get a straight answer to elsewhere...

1. How much does bringing a preexisting traffic flow matter? Is it more important to have a better domain name? Are both equally critical?

2. If you are selling a domain (that may or may not have been established website in the past), is it usually more or less attractive to potential buyers to have the domain name parked?

3. If you have a domain name parked and the parking company handles SEO (which I think is the case), does any of their work (search rankings, keywords, etc...) remain if the domain is sold or taken back by the owner?

4. Will parking companies allow you to have a small "click here if you want to buy this domain directly from the owner" or something similar on the page?

Thanks for any help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. How much does bringing a preexisting traffic flow matter? Is it more important to have a better domain name? Are both equally critical?

pre-existing traffic means nothing, if it doesn't convert to clicks on a parked page.
it's why "paid traffic" doesn't make any money for the buyer. so don't buy traffic

2. If you are selling a domain (that may or may not have been established website in the past), is it usually more or less attractive to potential buyers to have the domain name parked?

if a buyer is interested in your domain, they really don't care if it's parked or not.
however, if your domain is not developed, then it should be parked or monetized in some way.
why? so YOU will know if it gets any traffic or earns any revenue.

3. If you have a domain name parked and the parking company handles SEO (which I think is the case), does any of their work (search rankings, keywords, etc...) remain if the domain is sold or taken back by the owner?

short answer NO.
long answer, ppc's don't do seo because the premise of parking is to utilize the "type-in" traffic of a respective domain.

4. Will parking companies allow you to have a small "click here if you want to buy this domain directly from the owner" or something similar on the page?

yes, that option is available where you can have a banner, ribbon, link etc on that parked page, indicating that "This Doman Name May Be For Sale".

imo....

•••

pre-existing traffic means nothing, if it doesn't convert to clicks on a parked page.
it's why "paid traffic" doesn't make any money for the buyer. so don't buy traffic

if a buyer is interested in your domain, they really don't care if it's parked or not.
however, if your domain is not developed, then it should be parked or monetized in some way.
why? so YOU will know if it gets any traffic or earns any revenue.
What if the domain has a history of being parked under a adult keyword and you want to buy it a non-adult keyword? Question based on my personal experience, loved the name but was hesitant of the keyword it was parked under..didn't buy it.

•••
What if the domain has a history of being parked under a adult keyword and you want to buy it a non-adult keyword? Question based on my personal experience, loved the name but was hesitant of the keyword it was parked under..didn't buy it.

I think you made the right choice here. This is why previously registered domains always have to be checked for their history and what was done on them. Especially for adult websites, converting to non-adult ones there is an enormous amount of work to be done to cut off any of the old links and association of the domain with this type of content. Now if you were to continue using it for adult causes that might be a whole different story but in this case, as it is, you were definitely right to pass on this "opportunity". ;)

•••

there is a difference between a domain using an "adult" keyword for parking, versus the domain as is, being an obvious adult name.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back