Domain Empire

.me Domain Names: It's All About .Me

Spaceship
Watch
.Me domains may seem like another fad but they seem ideally suited as personal blog domain names (I regged dav3.me) or even clever keyword domain hacks, such as loanitto.me (available).

.Me domains may seem a bit pricey at $19.99 a year (GoDaddy) but if you're feeling adventurous, domains like medicalexam.me or moneyexchange.me (both available) could be good bets.

Are you investing in .Me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am investing in :$: me, and staying away from .ME's! :gl: :imho:

-Jeff B-)

•••
I've sworn of all ccTLDs. Montenegro is nice, but it's not for ".me".

•••
You know, I usually try to stay away from these.. I did own a few .cc's and a.ws or two but I do like .me for domain hacks. Be good for Maine geos too.

•••
MicroGuy said:
I've sworn of all ccTLDs. Montenegro is nice, but it's not for ".me".

Hey micro what about your .tv's ? surely a cool extension , cctld

•••
evirtual1 said:
Hey micro what about your .tv's ? surely a cool extension , cctld
I started the year with over 300 .TVs and now I'm down to about 19. I'm going to wait until I get back from Tuvalu before registering any more.

•••
check out the other thread. i think there are a lot better uses for .me than hacks or personal sites (both not worth much, IMO).

SERP discrimination is the issue IMO. is that why you dropped your .tv's, microguy?.

•••
soggyindo said:
...is that why you dropped your .tv's, microguy?

Actually, I sold most of them.

In a nutshell, I sold them due to .com leakage from visitors, a rocky relationship between Verisign and Tuvalu, a contract ending in a few short years, no regulation on pricing, premium domains dropping as premium renewals rise, the exodus of Richard Rosenblatt and Channel Me from .TV, and an aftermarket that's tougher than selling shaving cream to the homeless.

I could go on (and on), but you get the picture.

•••
MicroGuy said:
Actually, I sold most of them.

In a nutshell, I sold them due to .com leakage from visitors, a rocky relationship between Verisign and Tuvalu, a contract ending in a few short years, no regulation on pricing, premium domains dropping as premium renewals rise, the exodus of Richard Rosenblatt and Channel Me from .TV, and an aftermarket that's tougher than selling shaving cream to the homeless.

I could go on (and on), but you get the picture.

sorry... i meant sold. but dropped like a hot potato anyway.

i'm always tempted to get a new killer keyword when it comes up - always against my better judgment because then how do you make it rank - but hope, i guess, times will change...

:|

•••
There are others concerns too. IMO.

•••
With a little help, good keywords will generally rank higher faster than non-keyword domains.. I never worry about the extension if I have good keywords.

soggyindo said:
sorry... i meant sold. but dropped like a hot potato anyway.

i'm always tempted to get a new killer keyword when it comes up - always against my better judgment because then how do you make it rank - but hope, i guess, times will change...

:|

•••
Dave in Carthage said:
With a little help, good keywords will generally rank higher faster than non-keyword domains.. I never worry about the extension if I have good keywords.

Dave, you're 100% spot on here!

The key with these is development. They may not get too much type-in traffic - but once there's a site on there you can make your money back.

•••
GF said:
but once there's a site on there you can make your money back.

Then you will be interested (and eager) to secure 'domain'me.com.

Trust me! :)

•••
Finally, someone else who agrees with me, besides me! ;)

GF said:
Dave, you're 100% spot on here!

The key with these is development. They may not get too much type-in traffic - but once there's a site on there you can make your money back.

•••
Dave in Carthage said:

well, i disagree with that part.

the difference between a keyword domain in .com, .net, or .org versus in .me and .tv is a huge amount, and would have to be factored into any thinking.

•••
soggyindo said:
well, i disagree with that part.

the difference between a keyword domain in .com, .net, or .org versus in .me and .tv is a huge amount, and would have to be factored into any thinking.

We finally agree on something. :D

•••
Dave in Carthage said:
.Me domains may seem like another fad but they seem ideally suited as personal blog domain names (I regged dav3.me) or even clever keyword domain hacks, such as loanitto.me (available).

Unfortunately people generally won't pay much for names they want to use as personal blogs (think reg fee).

•••
I dunno, how much would you pay for MedicalExamMe.com? I'm skeptical.

•••
And why would you want to sell a personal blog?

Some people will be willing to pay more for good keyword domains, regardless of the extension.. this .com loyalty can end up costing people money, rather than making it.

snoop said:
Unfortunately people generally won't pay much for names they want to use as personal blogs (think reg fee).

•••
Dave in Carthage said:
And why would you want to sell a personal blog?

No idea.

Dave in Carthage said:
Some people will be willing to pay more for good keyword domains, regardless of the extension.. this .com loyalty can end up costing people money, rather than making it.

A good keyword does not make a "good domain", enduser won't pay significant money for bottom of the barrel extensions that a tiny % of people have ever heard of. As you say there is" .com loyalty", I would also add to that "established country code loyalty", there is no sign of any of that changing, many domainers are spitting in the wind going with every new extension that comes out.

•••
I still think consolidateloans[dot]me would seo better for loans than brassmonkeymoney.com.. take less work and time to index and rank for those keywords too but that's just my two cents.

•••
That would be an interesting (and fairly easy) experiment.

I believe the .com would win if all other factors such as domain age, site content (it would need relevant content), etc. were identical. This is due in my view to the fact that Google and other providers spank ccTLDs in their search results.

Last edited:
•••
MicroGuy said:
That would be an interesting (and fairly easy) experiment.

I believe the .com would win if all other factors such as domain age, site content (it would need relevant content), etc. were identical. This is due in my view to the fact that Google and other providers spank ccTLDs in their search results.

I have yet to see that... Do you have any evidence of this? In fact, the reason people have been pushing ccTLDs has been that Google doesn't "discriminate" between ccTLDs and .COM.

•••
•••
Dave in Carthage said:
I still think consolidateloans[dot]me would seo better for loans than brassmonkeymoney.com.. take less work and time to index and rank for those keywords too but that's just my two cents.

I'd rather drink sewage water than poison, what is this comparison supposed to mean in any practical sense?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back