Dynadot

discuss Domaining might be banned because IT is not FAIR.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Abdullah Abdullah

Top Member
Impact
Just logged into my FaceBook and someone posted the following in a domain selling and buying group.

"Let's talk. I think it's really a form of extortion to buy a domain just so you can resell it for lots of money. A new domain registration costs $15 on GoDaddy (or $1 with promo code) so why should I or any other startup business have to come up with hundreds or even thousands of dollars to buy a decent domain off some scalper? I sold a domain once for $6,500 because I was actively using it for my own website but the guy just made me an offer I couldn't refuse. But I can't see how it's right to buy and hold domains you have no intention of using and demand gargantuan sums for them. This way all the good domains are taken up by resellers and only wealthy companies can get them. There's something disturbingly undemocratic about this. I wouldn't be surprised if this practice is eventually banned. Your thoughts?"

What are your thoughts on this ? I am not sure if he posted this here too but lets see everyone's comments.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The typical domain sale is under $1500 which compared to other business expenses is peanuts.

An attorney will quite often bill in the $300/hour range while an IT professional around $100/hour (sometimes higher). I have seen five-figure monthly legal bills for a small business and six figure ones for a larger business. IT projects can run into six figures for a large company. Corporate travel expenses (last-minute airfare, four-star hotel, taxi, meals, etc) are considered normal but what is the long-term benefit of a typical business trip? How about the cost of maintaining a corporate jet (fuel, pilot, hangar fees, maintenance)? I have seen corporate plane bills as well - but those execs want to get to their destination quickly . Yet I have had end users disappear when quoted a low $xxx price for a relevant domain.

•••
I'm calling out the car dealerships. How can they turn a profit on ALL those new cars, when all they do is keep them parked in a huge lot... BAN CAR DEALERSHIPS

•••
You can suggest him to try these points with real estate people.
Even I was going to mention the same thing.

•••
What if big corporations like Google or Amazon would hold the most domains, not at last because they have THE inside knowledge of what the best keywords and names are from their advertisement branches, and if they would calculate the real cost of holding the domains and the real value they have for any business?

•••
another day, another lamer complaining.

life too can be unfair. will they ban it?

next.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back