Dynadot

Domains, traffic and videotapes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Some questions for all NamePROS out there... :)

1. Why is everyone judge a domain name according to the traffic it generates?
2. Why should I register a domain name based on Overture's keyword sugeestion tool? Aren't these results supposed to be search engine searches? I cannot understand this connection.

And now some comments: It wouldn't be better if I register a name like this kxghcwilg--cwwj-wvjvv--f.com and write the appropriate meta tags, adding the appropriate content and making the appropriate... tricks based on Overture results? This domain wouldn't generate tons of traffic?

Finally, if the above are true,

3. Why people don't evaluate/appraise domains from a cosmetic perspective? You know... how they look, how they sound etc.

Many thanks from a new ;) and confused :-/ Namepros member!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
HI

I'll try and answer your questions the best I can..

1. Why is everyone judge a domain name according to
the traffic it generates?

A domain that has existing web traffic is easier to make
money from right away then if you had to start from scratch
with a domain that has no current traffic, Unless you have
the funds to market the domain yourself,

2. Why should I register a domain name based on Overture's
keyword sugeestion tool? Aren't these results supposed to be
search engine searches? I cannot understand this connection.

Yes they are search engine searches, but the higher the number
the more popular the term/subject is for the domain is and the
higher the chances of getting typin traffic...

But you should check the domain in overture using the extension also,

And now some comments: It wouldn't be better if I register a
name like this kxghcwilg--cwwj-wvjvv--f.com and write the
appropriate meta tags, adding the appropriate content and
making the appropriate... tricks based on Overture results?
This domain wouldn't generate tons of traffic?

I am not really sure what you mean by this, ?

3. Why people don't evaluate/appraise domains from a
cosmetic perspective? You know... how they look, how they
sound etc.

They do this but it's only part of the method used to value/appraise
a domain name.. There really is more to the value of a domain name
then only by how it looks or sounds...

Thanks
Tom Dahne

Expired Domain Software
http://www.expireddomainsoftware.com

•••
Hi Tom. Thanks for the info. From what you're writing I've got a basic idea.

Originally posted by ezimedia

I am not really sure what you mean by this, ?

Thanks
Tom Dahne
Expired Domain Software
http://www.expireddomainsoftware.com

About this now... Let's say for example I'm looking for the term tennis. Overture's keyword suggestion tool has many results. If I put the most wanted ones into my webpage, metatags and do some more things like that even though my domain name would be dgshjdsgsdgsdgh.com it will be ranked high in search engines because of this tactic. I hope you can understand me!
Moreover if I had the domain tennisworld.com without any content I doubt I would have any high ranking in search engines.
So isn't the content of a website most important than a domain name? Or am I wrong? Please advise if you can! Thanks. :)

•••
Ofcourse tennisworld.com without any relevant site content would't rank well on the search engines.
But tennisworld.com with tennis related content would rank better than dfgsfrtyui.com with the same tennis-related content. The domain name can give you a small additional point in the SE game. This is at least what many SE gurus swear.

•••
Originally posted by sleepy
Ofcourse tennisworld.com without any relevant site content would't rank well on the search engines.
But tennisworld.com with tennis related content would rank better than dfgsfrtyui.com with the same tennis-related content. The domain name can give you a small additional point in the SE game. This is at least what many SE gurus swear.

Thanks for the reply sleepy!
But for what search engines are we talking? The ones you have to pay for getting higher rankings for your website? I bet on this, if I had a domain fhfdshvahfap.com and pay for higher ranking I would be better positioned than tennisworld.com with exactly the same content in the website. So why should I buy an expensive domain name afterall?
Or all this again is part of different approaches when considering buying a domain name? For instance someone wants to buy an expensive domain because fits better to his business image, whereas someone else because for some other reasons?

I feel really confused... Show mercy and reply please!

PM ME IF YOU WANT! Thanks!

•••
A domain with type-in traffic means that you have that traffic for free, in exchange for a relatively high purchase price right now. Paying for fhfdshvahfap.com to get higher ranking means recurring expenses for a long time (until people recognize your brand and type in your url from memory). So you just need to decide whether to pay now or later, and measure the relative difference in ROI.

Most folks consider all aspects of a domain before deciding on value, but the weight accorded to each differs from person to person. If you like developing your names, then you (like me) will probably be attracted more to how the domain looks and sounds - its long-term brandability. If you are a pure domain speculator, then you'll probably give more weight to the hard numbers - search, PR, links, etc.

•••
very informative and helpful insights!

•••
Originally posted by vanesaa
I bet on this, if I had a domain fhfdshvahfap.com and pay for higher ranking I would be better positioned than tennisworld.com with exactly the same content in the website. So why should I buy an expensive domain name afterall?!

Of course you will rank higher if you pay more, the domain name doesn't matter there at all..
But it can be very expensive to pay for the rankings, especially for popular keywords, so getting that extra edge in the SEO race by having a good keyword domain can be well worth the extra money..

A good domain name is also easier to remember for your visitors.
fhfdshvahfap.com vs. tennisworld.com , which one of those would you remember and type in the next time you were looking for tennis gear and info?? :)

•••
Yeah, I agree that memorability and relevance definitely win out from the search engines to type-ins.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back