IT.COM

showcase Domains You Won at Auction or Closeout

Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact

This thread is to share domains you've Won at Auction or Bought at Closeout

Closeout = After auction but before completely dropping from registrar and before going into redemption.

I *HIGHLY* suggest to post only after the domain is transferred *INTO* your account!

Go here if it's a domain you bought that was available at anytime for "hand registration": Your Reg of the Day
Go here if it's a domain you snapped / "drop-catched" after "Pending Delete": Your Snap of the Day

Feel free to disguise the domain like Slash // dot // com or any o|t|h|e|r w a y you want.
IMPORTANT: *If* someone does disguise their name, please respect them by quoting them directly, or copy/paste them directly.

Things to optionally include (or just simply post the domain name):

1. What you paid for the domain(s), or the price range, or no price info at all.
  2. Any information, reasons or hard data (traffic, CPC, etc) that lead you to buy the domain(s).
  3. Where (or who) you acquired the domain from.
  4. How many other bidders there were.
  5. Whether the domain was "expired" or not.
  6. Whether the domain was at "closeout" or not.
  7. The history of the domain.
  8. What you see the domain being used for.
  9. Who a potential buyer could be.
  10. Anything else you want to share .. these are just possible ideas not "rules" ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Closeout acquired: FactOrNot.com

In the era of fake news and troll factories, more than ever the truth matters...

•••
I got Taxi // Inc in com

At GoDaddy

•••
SimpleTouch.com
Pharmacore.com

•••
•••
UpgradeYourKitchen // dot // com
UpgradeYourBathroom // dot // com
Two great call-to-action marketing domains in the monster renovation industry!

SnipeMarketing // dot // com
Another really good media/marketing name for my portfolio! :)

•••
WhatThe.com
Brandpa approved 29999 USD

Won At Auction.

•••
•••
Another one I got not too long ago:

QuadHawk // dot // com

I really LOVE this as a brand for drones. 95% of them have 4 blades (Quad) .. and there isn't much more powerful in the sky than a hawk. Plus it just sounds amazing and powerful together rolling off the tongue. Short punchy .. only 8 letters .. 2 syllables. These are going to be on the shelves of a hobby store in the near future for sure! :)

Again .. curious to know what you all think as well as seeing some of your own auction/closeout grabs?

•••
Never really understood what the closeout domains are all about

GoDaddy has soooo many expiring domains going on auction every day. The most of the best ones obviously get bids .. and end up going to the highest bidder. But there are plenty of good domains that nobody found .. after the auction ends .. those domains go into "closeout". Meaning that anybody can simply "buy" them. No auction or competition. You simply put the domain in your cart and buy it. When the auction ends you can buy them for $11. 24 hours later they drop to $10 .. 24 hours after that $9 .. 24 hours after that $8 .. 24 hours after that it then drops to $5 for a final 24 hours before the domain drops completely (and goes into registry redemption for about 40 days .. afterwhich it becomes available to anyone as a drop-catch .. or hand-reg).

Tons of great domains slip through to $11 ... many even make it to $5.

2 things to keep in mind .. like auctions .. you still need to pay for renewal .. plus obviously like auctions, the original owner of the domain can renew the domain up until a week after the domain wen ton auction (this will be changing soon).

As far as I know .. only GoDaddy has "closeouts" .. although I couldn't say for sure.

•••
IonTiger // dot // com
- I love this as it has the ion for tech and tiger for power and strength. Sounds amazing when you say it too.

BigGunMedia // dot // com
- Big media name .. Not for the little leaguers! lol

Ubexo // dot // com
- Nice clear strong 5L that passes radio test with flying colours.

Jatube.com
Great name @stewmath .. I think Ja also means Yes in at least one language. Really good grab for a closeout! :)

•••
Recently acquired. What do you think?
U0a3CAu.png

•••
•••
LegalCollections.com

1997 registered and has been active business around 20 years

•••
I'm a newbie, but also know in this world got to watch out for yourself. Just know enough to what not to do, but didn't realize I was going to be out of soo many options. Literally, I can't even auction it, domain register won't even do it. Only option is to build a site out of it and leave it otherwise it will be (squatting) unless someone came to me to purchase it, because going to someone who has trademark rights can just be like "nope it's mine" so you gotta build something out of it.
This is indefensible for such a famous trademark. You can't just register a domain for one of the most famous trademarks, letter-for-letter and "build" something on it that seemingly isn't related and expect to ride it. This may be the case for trademarks that aren't very well known, but this one's a no-go. There's really no defence for this one.

It took me the whole of 2 seconds to find a registered trademark for coca-cola for class 37 "Installation, cleaning, repair and maintenance": http://bases-marques.inpi.fr/Typo3_INPI_Marques/marques_fiche_resultats.html?id=FR1150090

INSTRUMENTS ET MATERIEL DE NETTOYAGE translates as INSTRUMENTS AND CLEANING EQUIPMENT

PREPARATIONS POUR NETTOYER, POLIR, DEGRAISSER ET ABRASER translates as PREPARATIONS FOR CLEANING, POLISHING, DEGREASING AND ABRASING; SOAPS;

upload_2018-8-24_10-14-39.png

So that's identical to the trademark, no rights of legitimate interest as it infringes their trademark in their registered classes and bad faith can be proven whether or not you use or have used the name, like in this UDRP. http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2017-2475

Quote:

Regarding the registration in bad faith, the Respondent's statements can not be accepted as to the fact that the domain name in dispute was free on the Internet and therefore registered it. The Claimant's trademark is one of the most recognized trademarks in the world ( The Coca-Cola Company v. Omer Faruk Bozdogan , Case OMPI No. D2012-1501 and The Coca-Cola Company v. Frank Rasile, Godwin Wayne , WIPO Case No. D2014-1836 ). By virtue of this, the Expert concludes that the Respondent should know the Claimant's trademark when registering the disputed domain name.

The fact that the disputed domain name is not used does not prevent the conclusion that there is bad faith use according to the doctrine of "passive ownership" (Synopsis prepared by WIPO 3.0, section 3.3).

Among others, the Expert takes into account:

- the reputation of the Claimant's trademark and the registration of the disputed domain name identical to that notary mark,

- the lack of serious and well-founded explanations by the Respondent about the registration of the disputed domain name,

- the impossibility of using the disputed domain name for a good faith use given the absolute identity with the notorious mark of the Claimant.

For all these reasons, the Expert concludes that the disputed domain name was registered and used in bad faith.

It'll take 2 seconds for Coca-cola's lawyers to look on archive.org and find your page infringing on their registered rights, whether or not the trademark registration in question is in your domicile isn't going to factor into the decision:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180824091548/https://coca-cola.company/

I'd give up flogging this horse, it's pointless and kinda dumb.

Last edited:
•••
I bought jeunemaman.com, a closeout from your recent lists :)
It means young mom in French. The market for French domain names isn't strong but I feel this one has excellent branding potential. It's also taken in .fr & .ca

•••
I bought jeunemaman.com, a closeout from your recent lists :)
It means young mom in French. The market for French domain names isn't strong but I feel this one has excellent branding potential. It's also taken in .fr & .ca
This is a real lesson especially for new investors. Even if the name doesn't make sense to you at first it could be valuable when translated. Many gems slip through the cracks since most don't take the 15 seconds to put it through a translator.

•••
One two word domain in net in battery niche (gd for 211$ 2 years back. Put some previous pages from archive put adsense earning 5721$)
Another domain in com in low used car niche (gd closeout for 5$ one year back adsense earning 1800$)

Like that I have around 50 domains (out of which 15 domains have adsense earning right now adsense averaging 400$ per month though declining)
By the way I have full time job & have 2year old kid. Time for searching and bidding in auction is very difficult for me now. As I am from India, most of the gd auction closes after midnight, so it is also a big problem for me.

Last edited:
•••
S4ve // dot // com
- Tihs is one of those domains that makes me feel like a hypocrite .. lol .. as I usually hate domains where numbers are used 2 r3pl4c3 l3tt3r5. However .. this is 4 characters and the word is SAVE! If you're going to speculate on this kind of domain .. then I don't think you can get any stronger than this. Particularly since once you get into 3 character domains you will start to pay a liquidity premium at the wholesale level.

MiracleGlasses // dot // com
- Like this both for Google Glass type technology .. but also for recent developments of glasses helping people who are colourblind to see in colour. Not sure if those youtube videos are fake .. but seems like it's a thing! lol

QuitStarving // dot // com
- I love this as a dieting marketing name. So many diet programs want to give the impression that you can diet without starving .. figured this to be a no brainer! :)

•••
DietDinner is a nice catch. Very strong branding potential.

•••
CertifiedEasy // dot // com
I see this as a monster marketing name that could be used by a ton of potential businesses that want to market their product or service as easy to use.

EqualTotheTask // dot // com
I like this common saying for a skilled job recruitment site that focuses on skilled labour.

Hangover // dot // info
Grabbed this one because of the absolutely monster stats behind it!

You got that at closeout!? That is the best one I think I have seen you pick up.

Because of the large number of domains I share I try not too be too specific .. but a vast majority of the domains I've listed here have been at closeout or at auction with one or two bids .. essentially at a cost of $25 or less if you include renewal. As an exception I'll reveal that DietDinner does indeed fall into this range! ;)

•••
ViralFocus // dot // com
Perfect name for social media agency who went to give the impression that using them will get their clients to go viral! :)

VetVille // dot // com
A no brainer alliteration domain for the very VERY profitable pet health industry

FullVenue // dot // com
The software that manages entertainment venues in terms of seating and ticketing is actually a really big industry. Lost of money helping clubs and concert halls stay organised. This is pretty much the perfect brand name for that! :)

•••
Callisto / co

Many enduser possibilities, the problem is Godaddy and their stupid high .co renewal price ($35) - not to mention I had to pay 27% VAT.

I'd probably invest in a lot more .co names if not for this. They seem to be selling well, but that renewal price hurts a lot.

•••
SyntheticMeats // dot // com
Synthetic meats are *THE* future of humanity. Might not seem like it .. but this is likely as big a future tech as self-driving cars .. and I actually prefer the plural here in terms of branding! :)

MojoWallet // dot // com
Crypto crypto crypto!

RedLineMultimedia // dot // com
Red line means full throttle / maximum effort. Great aged brand with this one (15 years)! :)

...Will take the opportunity to complete work with my marketplace... have a bit of programming work to do....and I don't really like programming

Maybe grab an Efty account? I'm still working on my portfolio as well the last little bit .. adding "categories" so I can sort faster and update my lists more efficiently.

I won bitcard.co , but forgot to pay, so I lost it.. lol .. idk how great that domain is, but I can see some potential :)
what do you think?

It's not a terrible domain .. but honestly not strong enough for .co pricing .. I think you should be happy it didn't go through! ;)

Thanks for your feedback! I understand they can be tough to sell, but wanted a few to test. Right now, I'm only looking at .coms. Will be posting two more domains I've bought as soon as they land in my account.

I (and I think every newer domainer) had a really hard time saying no to very good non-.com when I started. I had some amazing .cc .ws .biz and .co .. I dropped most cc/ws (kept maybe 2-3 ultra keywords each) .. dropped about 2/3 of my .biz .. and over 90% of my .co (but to be fair I had a couple hundred with super cheap first year coupons $2-$8 each). I'm not saying don't buy .. but just be extremely picky to get super premium keywords .. and don't buy too many.

Btw, since you were already talking about domains to use for your domaining business; what do you think of NameHike.com? I bought it a few weeks ago, but now I'm having second thoughts. Should I find something better?

Not sure why, but I prefer NameDawn .. I didn't see Name and Hike really going together. It's not bad (better than Net // onics .. lol), but if you're not married to it, then maybe look around for another option. It is unusable though .. just a personal preference on my side .. not the end of the world. I'm about to figure out my own branding in the days ahead!

There was another domain I was bidding on, zentality.com, but I quit bidding when the price reached $60. Later it turned out the final price was well over $200... It's getting harder and harder to get a decent name for a decent price on Godaddy expired domain auctions...

I'm pretty sure I had Zentality on my daily lists not too long ago. So it was good in my mind .. but priced too high to buy (sometimes $12 is too high). It's a good sign when a domain you want goes high in bidding .. it generally means you're noticing the right names! :)

Ha ha! Always a nice confidence booster to hear another domainer wanted the same name. Yeah, I'm a fan of it for sure. I actually grabbed another similar (but definitely less appealing) one a month earlier on closeout as well:
Look/To/Buy[dot]com
Not as crazy about this one, but it had a familiar enough sound to it (i.e. "I'm looking to buy a truck") that I pulled the trigger. It's short and sweet, and could be a gimmicky, memorable name.

It definitely was a really good domain. For the Look/to/Buy one I'm less feeling it. The one to get is indeed LookingToBuy .. by a long shot. I love call to action domains (I actually grabbed CallToActionDomains // dot // com last year... lol), but the moment you go off a even a bit it really changes quite significantly I feel. Grab/The/Savings is 50x Look/To/Buy in my books! ;)

•••
Haven't posted much here lately as I've been super busy recovering from my PC (aka Windows) disaster as well as completely changing/upgrading my processes for making my lists of expiration auctions and $5 closeout domains (the names aren't any different .. lol .. just that my new way of doing things is much more efficient and will allow me to find more names in less time). Anyhow .. here are a few more ..

Ckill // dot // com
I try to stay away from alternate spellings "brandables" .. with the exceptions being when they are very short and based on an extremely strong keyword/term. You can't get much stronger than "Skill" .. if ever I was going to actually put a name on BrandBucket (not something I necessarily recommend), it would be something like this.

SponsorTech // dot // com
Sponsorships are huge business. I really like this combination. Of all the possible variations to "Tech", this is the only one I'm usually open to even considering. Anything with "Tec", or "Tek" will always lose traffic to "Tech" .. as such I think this is a great one! :)

Ruxxu // dot // com
Nice pattern 5L. Sounds cool and looks cool. Every now and then one like this passes through unnoticed and if you can get it cheap it's a no brainer! :)

Nivvy // dot // com
Same as above pretty much.

CashCoin // dot // biz
Under 1% of my names are .biz .. and I think they are all strong single keywords. Got this one as it seemed like a very strong crypto term (left of dot). Obviously the .biz is nowhere near the .com .. but I'm making a guess it's still enough to make it interesting to at least a few people!

Damn ategy you buy a ton lol. Got London caterer in king from closeouts
When I started this thread I backtracked about 3 months. So it actually looks like a lot more than it actually is. I'm actually buying much less than I used to. I really like London Caterer .. however just be careful with London domains if traffic stats are the biggest factor in your decision:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/suspicious-domain-data-at-auction.1032173/#post-6317629

CarFails [dot] com – Videos of crashing cars and stupid drivers.
I like this one for exactly the reason you give! For some reason once I cross a video like this on youtube I somehow end up losing an hour of my time! lol

ULTRA // METER // dot // com
CORNER // TAPE // dot // com
The Ultra one is one of those domains that likely won't see an offer for years .. and then all of a sudden you'll get a 5k offer out of the blue (which you better accept .. lol).
The tape one makes me think of a tape product you use to help you paint in corners. although admittedly I have no clue if that's a thing .. or even a thing that would ever be needed!?

GiftGeek//net
Liked the sound of it, even though .net.
I'm really trying to avoid .net these days as I think at this point it's at the level of the better AltTLD's .. that being said .. when I do like it .. it's when it's used for it's natural niche, which is more technology related. So in this case with the Geek it does hold context. Certainly not a horribly buy if you got it cheap or at closeout! :)

WebWorkers.com
VideosOnDemand.com
Couple of very strong ones. As long as you didn't bid too high these are excellent domains in your portfolio! :)

Recently acquired. What do you think?
I'm guessing it's a nice one .. lol .. I seem to recall seeing a few .org crypto sales, but I'm not 100% to be honest. Would be a fantastic .com for sure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back