Dynadot

Don't post your actual domain name for appraisals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Patsbox7

Impact
I see this over and over, and even I am smart enough to figure out not to do it, and I am as green as they come. DON'T FU***** POST YOUR ACTUAL DOMAIN NAME FOR AN APPRAISAL! If someone is considering buying your name, they are going to google it, find your post and find out everyone thinks it is worthless. If you must have these people's opinion use domainname DOT com etc. 99.9% of people interested in your name are going to do a background search on it, and find that you posted it here and everyone got their kicks from shi***** on your dreams. These guys on here are ALMOST as ruthless as the mafia they call vintage Rolex collectors.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would have to agree with you on this..But if you're planning to develop the name instead of sell it off the bat you should be fine.

•••
If you find that an appraisal thread is popping up on page one of searches and feel that it will reduce your chances of selling the name, you can request that the thread be buried.

•••
But without posting actual domain or revealing it how can a buyer make an offer? I don't get it.

•••
Not posting your domain in appraisal requests here would be a violation of the appraisal rules. If you are not going to use the name, or if you are going to use a dummy name, do not ask for an appraisal. Please see the following appraisal rules:

http://www.namepros.com/domain-appr...ated-domain-appraisal-rules-must-include.html

If you feel your appraisal will effect a possible sale at a later date, I am sure the staff here would be more than willing to delete your appraisal thread upon your request if you are the original poster.

Also keep in mind that the value of the domain is expected to vary since each member here has their own appraisal system or criteria. These are not paid appraisals. These appraisals are to be looked at as a member helping member kind of thing. More experienced members are simply contributing their time to help another member out. The accuracy of an appraisal should be based upon the experience of the member appraising the domain and their reputation here on the forum. Some appraisals that do not meet your fancy simply need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Also make sure you fully disclose all information about the domain at the time of appraisal request. If the domain has an established website, let the appraiser know. If the domain has traffic, you may want to disclose how much it gets. These are all things that effect the value.

And lastly, please remember these are non paid contributors making these appraisals. The ultimate value is to be seen in the eyes of the end user and how badly that person wants it. Estimating the value of a domain name is different than giving an appraisal for jewelry where the value is more definite.

Last edited:
•••
I see this over and over, and even I am smart enough to figure out not to do it, and I am as green as they come. DON'T FU***** POST YOUR ACTUAL DOMAIN NAME FOR AN APPRAISAL! If someone is considering buying your name, they are going to google it, find your post and find out everyone thinks it is worthless. If you must have these people's opinion use domainname DOT com etc. 99.9% of people interested in your name are going to do a background search on it, and find that you posted it here and everyone got their kicks from shi***** on your dreams. These guys on here are ALMOST as ruthless as the mafia they call vintage Rolex collectors.

:talk:

Hi

from what i read:

your post, like many others i've seen, is based upon a current or future fear.

a fear that is based around "the ability to sucessfully negotiate the sale of your names within your expected price range."

many newbies have this fear and most of them don't even know how to price their names, so why even worry about trying to sell them.

when they get an offer, they don't know how to respond or how much to ask.

i have been posting domain names for appraisal and/or for sale for years on the forums, and NOT ONE TIME have i ever been confronted about variance in price or value from a buyer...because of a previous appraisal or sales thread.

though i have been asked why i increased a price from a previously quoted price, i always maintain that it is my perogative to "adjust" pricing as i see fit.

if you're afraid of something in the future that may never happen and may never happen the way you fear it will....then you have already deflated value of your portfolio.

may as well keep them a secret.

:)

•••
There might be an issue, because you have to add the domain in the thread title. Inside the thread, you can post your domain as image text.

•••
Perhaps the appraisal section could be hidden from the bots. I don't think it would hurt.

•••

the funny and illogical part of this argument is:

folks are scared someone will "find" the postings of their domain name in forums thru search engines...

but in the meantime, who's "finding" their names now?

•••

I believe the point of OP's suggestion is to not post the domain in domainname.com format, but post as domainname dot com, which is ok afaik.

Sorry to unbold your quote, Patsbox7, but we didnt need to shout it twice ;)

Peace,
Cy

•••
Clarified yesterday for me.
In the domain appraisals...
You DO NOT NEED TO PUT YOUR DOMAIN NAME IN THE SUBJECT LINE!
First used the drop down box for the extension.
Then just put the domain name without any extension in the subject line.

Thus it will show on the left side .com
In the subject: yourdomain (no dots, no com, etc)

•••
TLD selection option is available only at the marketplace section.

•••
Google can still find the name even with whitespace between letters.

•••
Google can still find the name even with whitespace between letters.

That is true, even if you use other symbols (like ( ) < > _ -), the domain can be found easily.

•••
TLD selection option is available only at the marketplace section.

Sorry, in domain appraisals, look at the bottom smilies.......
The POST ICONS.

Use the one that works for your doamain.

•••
didnt even think about this but it makes sense. i asked for appraisals for a few .me's that everyone said to hand back for the reg. fee. turns out i got offers for most em. lol. .me's are the future!!

•••
I just received an e-mail last week from a guy who said he was interested in buying my domain savetwinkiethekid.com / but he wants an appraisal from go-appraisal.com? Is this necessary. What are the basic rules. I'm a newbie to domaining but I did manage to post my site for sale on GoDaddy. All help would be greatly appreciated.

•••
I just received an e-mail last week from a guy who said he was interested in buying my domain savetwinkiethekid.com / but he wants an appraisal from go-appraisal.com? Is this necessary. What are the basic rules. I'm a newbie to domaining but I did manage to post my site for sale on GoDaddy. All help would be greatly appreciated.

It is just a scam, don't waste your time.

•••

Yup, it is a scam. He is affiliated with the appraisal website, and you will be charged to get it appraised. The $40 or whatever you wasted will be in his pocket and then he won't be interested or want to pay the $1 it was appraised for.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

the funny and illogical part of this argument is:

folks are scared someone will "find" the postings of their domain name in forums thru search engines...

but in the meantime, who's "finding" their names now?

That's the stupidest rebuttal ever, but funny.. If someone wants a specific domain, they are going to google it. Then they will find a thread about how worthless it was. The name is worth whatever someone will pay for it, I don't care how dumb the name is, if it fits what the potential is after then you will make money off it.

My whole point here was if you want it appraised here, you don't need to be afraid or hide it. Just post it as

mydomainname DOT COM
as opposed to
mydomainname.com

It is very simple. If you type out dotcom instead of .com it wont turn up when potentials search it.

ffs

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Also a great solution. Even better actually.

Clarified yesterday for me.
In the domain appraisals...
You DO NOT NEED TO PUT YOUR DOMAIN NAME IN THE SUBJECT LINE!
First used the drop down box for the extension.
Then just put the domain name without any extension in the subject line.

Thus it will show on the left side .com
In the subject: yourdomain (no dots, no com, etc)

•••
didnt even think about this but it makes sense. i asked for appraisals for a few .me's that everyone said to hand back for the reg. fee. turns out i got offers for most em. lol. .me's are the future!!

I fear for your future in domaining. :O

•••
I think the main purpose of the appraisal section is to help newbies find out if the their hand registering strategies and their selection of names is wise or not, as a whole. Its not so much about one name been appraised.

Unfortunately a large part of people who are very new to this business start to moan and get bitchy as soon as they get realistic appraisals (which often time is 0 / reg fee) based on past experience, because they had other expectations and thought that its very easy to make money with all type of names.

Thats one reason why many (me included) don't participate regurarly in that section anymore. People invest their time and knowledge for free for you and many times what they get as reaction is stuck in adolescence level type of answers.

Remember, paid appraisal services (and even free services) can't be honest with you, since no one likes to hear that his domain is worth 0$, and if he hears it, he won't come back to that site.
In a forum like this, no one really cares if you come back or not, since its more or less everything for free and community based, so people can be honest and give you realistic appraisals.

By the way, it doesn't help if you replace .com with DOT COM.
Google still finds and recognizes it as domain.com. So if you really want to minimise the chance of that thread to be found on google, use something like D*/+*/O*/+*M*A*/N D+0+T C*0*M instead of domain.com or domain dot com.

•••
ppl on the appraisal section said vine.co is a regfee name.
later it was sold for undesclosure ammount

•••
thanks for this informations

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back