NameSilo

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For me, Escrow has nothing to do with payment processing. The entire purpose of escrow.com is to give the buyer a level of comfort and security and that they're not about to get ripped off. So I always offer to invoice them and accept payment directly, or optionally to use an escrow service such as escrow.com. I explain that its a great service but that it comes with additional fees to the buyer, as well as the currency hassles. I also explain that I too use it all the time when I don't know/trust the seller on a large transaction - and that I certainly won't be offended if you prefer to use escrow for the same reasons too. Then I tell them it's their choice.

If it's a foreign customer, the vast majority choose Escrow.com because it actually solves the currency issue for them. It also solves the risk issue for them, which is perceived to be significantly higher since they are dealing with another country's laws if sh*t goes sideways.

If its a Canadian customer, I find they are generally happy to bypass Escrow.com and trust me. Then again I'm fairly transparent, I have a website, whois is not private, I send an invoice with my GST#, etc... If you're not as transparent, there's going to be more distrust, pushing more people towards Escrow.com. Any business big enough to have their own lawyers will almost always do up their own domain sale/transfer agreement too.

My largest recent sale was to an online store in BC. I provided them with a bill of sale, took a 5k deposit, and had them wire the remainder to my account. The transaction was too large to put on credit card.

At no time did the seller or I ever talk about fraud or anything thereof. When the buyer contacts me and we agree to a deal I don't expect him to accuse me of fraud. I verify ownership and ask for payment. So far that has worked for me.

I would not be opposed to escrow but I would make it quite clear that the buyer would have to pay the fees.

•••
My largest recent sale was to an online store in BC. I provided them with a bill of sale, took a 5k deposit, and had them wire the remainder to my account. The transaction was too large to put on credit card.

At no time did the seller or I ever talk about fraud or anything thereof. When the buyer contacts me and we agree to a deal I don't expect him to accuse me of fraud. I verify ownership and ask for payment. So far that has worked for me.

I would not be opposed to escrow but I would make it quite clear that the buyer would have to pay the fees.

I didn't say anything about anyone accusing anyone of fraud. I don't think people ever want to bring up the risk of being screwed, but I'm sure a buyer almost always at least thinks about that possibility. And depending on how reputable the seller appears, and how important that money is to the buyer, there's always going to be varying degrees of concern over a transaction. That's why I always offer Escrow.com as an option, explain what its primary purpose is for, and then leave it as their choice. I don't find the bigger customers are as personally concerned as the small to medium ones. That's probably a direct result of hard earned money coming directly out of their own pockets compared to spending someone else's money.

Any big payments are definitely wires for both Canadian or foreign customers. But thankfully Interac email transfers have helped with the small Canadian transactions, even if it sometimes takes a couple of payments to get past the transfer limits.

•••
Also, props to @DomainRecap. The domain i sold was discovered in his TBR leftovers list.

Just quoting this for posterity. :xf.grin:

tumblr_mzec564WlI1s8rz3mo1_400.gif

Last edited:
•••
•••
But thankfully Interac email transfers have helped with the small Canadian transactions, even if it sometimes takes a couple of payments to get past the transfer limits.

I have used that option to make numerous transactions, a lot of guys in this topic probably remember that.

For my most recent sale I would have taken weeks to accomplish this so I had no choice but to use a money transfer. For my smaller sales and acquisitions, where one or two transactions will do, the e-transfer is a wonderful thing.

The fact that you offer escrow is nice but having never offered it, or talked about it, I find that most one time buyers don't even know about it. During the transaction I simply ask... How will you be paying and the usual response is.... what do you offer. I then respond credit card works the best unless the amount is too large and then I say bank transfer. Smaller amounts up to 3k I usually offer e-transfer as the most viable form of payment, assuming the client is in Canada.

•••
Picked up:
MiniGames.ca
748.ca

Nice pickups - I was busy yesterday and put in a few bids, but they didn't line up and I came home empty-handed for once. Now I just need to get my GoDaddy Auction computer work done before next week.

•••
I sold a domain on Kijiji yesterday

Nice sale, smooth sailing

Here is a trick I used.....

I advertised the domain in the home area of the company I was targeting (not in my home area).
Had it on Kijiji for almost a year (8 months) and the company I was targeting took the bait.

Last edited:
•••
I sold a domain on Kijiji yesterday

Nice sale, smooth sailing

Here is a trick I used.....

I advertised the domain in the home area of the company I was targeting (not in my home area).
Had it on Kijiji for almost a year (8 months) and the company I was targeting took the bait.

Very interesting. First time I heard of this technique but makes sense. Did you say “contact me if interested”, or include a bin or say make offer?

Last edited:
•••
Very interesting. First time I heard of this technique but makes sense. Did you say “contact me if interested”, or include a bin or say make offer?

I advertised it with a selling price under my personal name not under mapledots.
I was hoping someone would eventually make the business aware of the domain.

Business had a 3 word domain in .com and I had the First (most important part) direct hit name in .ca.

I often do that, I seek out businesses with 3 word or longer domains and I target them.

Second trick I use....

I activate (and use in the ad) an email address [email protected] so the business can see how good that looks instead of..

[email protected]

I always say if you cannot sell the domain then sell the email address. I am currently negotiating with a car dealership where the email address is the main focus of the negotiation.

Last edited:
•••
The fact that you offer escrow is nice but having never offered it, or talked about it, I find that most one time buyers don't even know about it.

Well there is definitely a mix, some people won't know about it - some will. And I don't always offer Escrow, clearly for smaller Canadian based buyers, e-transfers make the most sense and I steer it in that direction.

But for either foreign or large transactions, that's when I'll automatically offer Escrow. For those that don't know about it (which is rare), it gives them some comfort and it often avoids lawyers/sales agreements, simplifying the process for me. For those that know about it, it lets them know this isn't my first rodeo. And based on plenty of experience, I know that odds are we'll wind up using escrow anyways.

•••
Renewal time, will be renewing some but if any interest you msg me for xx

All .ca domains

YogaGuide
Veterinarysurgeons
Veterinarysurgeon
ChairShare
Chrg
TorontoFlights
TorontoHeating
ToronotCooling
CannabisGear
CanadianTradeLaw
SupportService
ProjectServices
CanadaVending
CrimeLawyer
CanadianWork
Vaprs
ResidentialInspections
ResidentialInspection
MentalHealthClinic
MentalHealthClinics
Drvn
Chromers
Legalfees
CanadianBowling
BigBarn
CannabisCapsules
CoinData

all at namespro expire this month. regular renewals less than $15

•••
K. It's definitely easier to bulk add domains via Afternic... but I'm not sure if it's all the same when it's listed on Afternic but not the Godaddy marketplace.

Afternic listings can certainly be found on Godaddy, but I don't know if you'll receive notification of the offer from Afternic or GoDaddy? I'm guessing you would receive notification of the offer via afternic if that's where it's listed and the domain isn't actually in your GD selling list. If so, then i imagine this would mean you need to respond to the offer (via afternic) and you won't have the option to counter after deadline expires.

I'm not 100% sure so I'm doing a test by placing a $20 bid on my own domain I searched on Godaddy that was only listed on Afternic (using a second account i have with GD).

Trying to explain this is making my head hurt, but know what I'm getting at?

Maybe @MapleDots knows the answer?

if u list on gd thru aftrnic then u get offer from afternic.. additonally, u cannot in this case send accepted offer to 7day auction... and there are probably couple more disadvantages to listing on gd via aftrnic.... I always list directly on gd.

•••
So what happens if you have the domains at Afternic and at GD, but at different minimum bids?

if u list on gd then it takes priotity.

meaning, if today you list domain.com on afternic with x min bid... then in a week u list sme name on gd with min bid y... then the final liting will be throug gd with min bid y.

•••
Going to take a break and focus on family and selling domains for a while.

If you have a strong one word .ca for sale email [email protected]

•••
So... sibernames won’t let you transfer out your domains if they are in their expiry period?

•••
So... sibernames won’t let you transfer out your domains if they are in their expiry period?

If they haven't reached redemption period, they have to according to the CIRA. But Sibername may be fooling around with the "Suspended" period and have lowered it down.

•••
If they haven't reached redemption period, they have to according to the CIRA. But Sibername may be fooling around with the "Suspended" period and have lowered it down.

Interesting... I’m 99% certain it became impossible to do so as soon as they expired. This is the message that comes up:
upload_2020-1-31_13-0-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-31_13-0-1.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-31_13-0-1.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
•••
You may have to contact Siber support directly, as expired domains require a new transfer code be uploaded to the CIRA, as the old one will no longer work.

It never hurts to give it a shot.

•••
All the dealings i have had with recent exp domains is that the registrar will want / require you to renew domain before transfer out. I have not looked into the legal requirements if any, I just kick myself for not moving it before the renewal date.

•••
HeHe.... funny guy

Here is what I have.... pretty cheap
https://www.costco.ca/costco-services.html

Look for the Elavon link

I can see how actually charging in CAD for .CA domains may help. I'd be concerned with fraud though. Depending on the type of merchant account you have it would also be possible to enter card numbers through Strip.net (virtual terminal) or Paypal Merchant accounts.

•••
Regarding tickets.ca, btw, I talked to Peter from emall about it. Here's what he had to say in summary:

He says he had no part in in billets.ca - he only sold them billet.ca a while back. Today they already have a good market share in French (Quebec) and want to enter the English market. He's not too concerned about additional competition in the ticket resale business, as there are already a lot of players, some of them really well funded. The ticket.ca was ideal for the client and the price was right, they knew each other and didn't know a broker and didn't have to pay a commission - an easy sale.

Emall already has some strong brands in the ticket market and the money can be used to strengthen the brands more, which takes and awful lot of money and additional cash is always good. He added as an interesting point that etickets.ca does 33% of it's business in the US, which sees as a good sign for .CAs.

He also believes that publishing sales helps the space overall and can help push .CAs, is an undersold market (due to the presence restrictions).

•••
Regarding tickets.ca, btw, I talked to Peter from emall about it. Here's what he had to say in summary:

He says he had no part in in billets.ca - he only sold them billet.ca a while back. Today they already have a good market share in French (Quebec) and want to enter the English market. He's not too concerned about additional competition in the ticket resale business, as there are already a lot of players, some of them really well funded. The ticket.ca was ideal for the client and the price was right, they knew each other and didn't know a broker and didn't have to pay a commission - an easy sale.

Emall already has some strong brands in the ticket market and the money can be used to strengthen the brands more, which takes and awful lot of money and additional cash is always good. He added as an interesting point that etickets.ca does 33% of it's business in the US, which sees as a good sign for .CAs.

He also believes that publishing sales helps the space overall and can help push .CAs, is an undersold market (due to the presence restrictions).

Thanks for looking into that. Do you know if he approached Tickets.ca to see if they had an offer to make, before selling to Billets.ca?

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for looking into that. Do you know if he approached Tickets.ca to see if they had an offer to make, before selling to Billets.ca?

I don't think he has any connections there or approached them. I believe billets.ca was after the domain for a while now, so since the price was right, he didn't need any other bidders. He also talked about domainers sometimes wanting to always hold for more money and how that can be fatal.

Last edited:
•••
He also talked about domainers sometimes wanting to always hold for more money and how that can be fatal.

Hopefully he also talked about lowballing buyers who don't properly value their brand, and how that can be fatal. :xf.grin:

•••
On another note, anyone else notice that Yellow Pages has consistently been dropping many aged, old-school keyword domains - the last few weeks had quite a few and I noticed some this week, such as HouseRepair.ca.

Kinda strange considering the low renewal rates, and that I assume they paid something for at least some of these.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back