Chieff

Established Member
Impact
I have suggestion that downvoting should be removed from forum

Downvoting facilitate mob mentality

Don't know why community like namepros still have it

Reasons:

1. It stops ppl from sharing different opinions
2. People don't want to see difference in opinion use downvote as a tool to pull down

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
(y)

Downvoting doesn't help in any way to enrich a forum's life.
It has only an intimidating effect, it keeps people from posting opinions which they deem being unpopular within this forum.
The fear of becoming a target for the downvoting mob
Yeah definitely remove a dislike button like YouTube

•••
👎 Downvotes seem a bit counterintuitive for a platform that’s considered a vessel for education by many investors. Everyone is, in essence, a teacher and student here; so downvotes don’t necessarily support this dynamic. They’re a source of contention.

👍 Yes, Namepros is a forum; but it also doubles as a classroom. If anything, there should be a more constructive way to express one’s disagreement with viewpoints shared here. Needless to say, it’s evident the downvote is used as a mechanism to encourage division.

•••
@QUAD DOMAINS,
You are the classiest guy here and you dont deserve -199 impact (as of this moment)

You take everything in stride; and i strongly believe taking away anonymity would reduce it by 90% more. You’re a good man!! Not once lost your cool. Thank you.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Don't know why community like namepros still have it
Probably because they are not censorship hungry control freak snowflakes like some social media.

•••
Most of the downvoting I've seen on NP is a kind of reactive, tribal thing, where people judge each other over petty things and try to assert their superiority by putting other people down. It creates anger, hate, division, and overall a negative user experience.
If there's a problem then fix it directly, don't blanket cover the issue and negatively impact useful site functionality.

Removing the downvote functionality causes negative effect on the good forum users by removing their helpful downvote tool. isn't this catering for what you say the bad people want?

Also, I think you're being very over the top saying things like "anger and hate" and "assert their superiority by putting other people down". I mean sure there are angry people around but you make it sound like there are thousands of gangs forming up to downvote. I don't think the problem is quite as bad as you make out.

Besides however many angry and hateful people there are, they will do all manner of things to cause disruption or upset people. So you're just pushing the core problem to another area.

Also, people will upvote for stupid reasons too. The opposite of anger and hate, they are happy, had a good day, but nothing relevant to the content of the post. Is this to be stopped too?

•••
@Alop, YT is a essentially a platform for videos whereas NP is a discussion forum.
Within these two places function and effect of downvoting are very different.
You are comparing apples with oranges.

By the way, I thought we were talking about the anonymously downvoting functionality, not about the dislike button.

•••
I have suggestion that downvoting should be removed from forum

Hi @Chieff
usually with a poll comes the option to vote, maybe you can arrange things so that we can vote Yes or No, and then we can look at the results :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back