Dynadot

question Email from Harvard Professor today on Domain Name! HELP!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainBarracksRob

Top Member
Impact
Need some advice here, Still new to all this and this is my first major"talk/negation".

So about a month ago I reg'd APOPS. org on the drop I liked it for several reasons.

Today I got a email from Jerold S. Kayden - simply saying -"Have you purchased the domain name apops.org?"....I looked at the Email name tag and it said, GSD Harvard . edu . Of course I was like Wow this is cool. Naturally I looked him up and Turns out he is Professor of Urban Planning and Design at Harvard University's Graduate School of Design. Also Founder of Advocates of Privately Owned Public Spaces....(apops)!!!! Wow again....turns out his other title is "Urban planner and LAWYER"!!:wideyed:.......How safe am I here????I did not look up Trademarks or anything like that on the name, could him being a Lawyer make this more difficult??

Please read this link here with The info on him and APOPS, he has a large team of pre$tigiou$ people and ceo's
https://apops.mas.org/about/people/

I have not responed to his email yet. I need suggestions , thoughts, opinions , appraisals, and maybe even legal advice ;)

Thank You

Robert

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would not contact him again. If he didn’t even make a lowball offer at this point he has no intention. Maybe he secured another extension. Maybe he will be back later.

•••
You should ABSOLUTELY FOLLOW-UP this guy multiple times, or let me broker this name for you!

I followed up that guy but he is not interested anymore.

Just received an inquiry from another media company.. I am good ;)

•••
Just received an inquiry from another media company.. I am good ;)

I'm more inclined to say it's not you, it's your name that's good :)

•••
•••
I write here
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ol...ioned-domains-post-sale.1044751/#post-6405218
about a guy who registered a domain name and after his registration, the registrar quickly told him that it had all been a mistake, the domain was not available, and took it back from him to return to the rightful owner.

Just offered by way of background. Not saying this is the case here (although here, the Harvard professor owner is, I believe, claiming it was registrar error that caused this issue), just that I was surprised to find that in some instances even the registrar itself will step in and reverse an error.

Last edited:
•••
Lesson # 1 : Never put your domain on the public forum that is subject of "under negotiation or litigation", send PM to people in the thread with the name. Anyhow all the best.

Last edited:
•••
Domainscoop, true, but in this instance without knowing exactly what the domain was and the circumstances, we could not have offered as much advice.

However, I agree, he could have simply explained that it was a five letter dot org that had no value except perhaps to the original owner.

•••
Domainscoop, true, but in this instance without knowing exactly what the domain was and the circumstances, we could not have offered as much advice.

However, I agree, he could have simply explained that it was a five letter dot org that had no value except perhaps to the original owner.
That's why you pm the name to the members who would like to know the name rather than openly posting.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
I really don't think you will ever get another bite on the domain.

•••
Guess this turned out to be a

A5usef7l.jpg

•••
Guess this turned out to be a

A5usef7l.jpg

Yea sooo I think he found this thread...

I took advice here ,and reached out a month ago , with a letter on trying to negotiate a deal .

I heard nothing back after waiting all of November So I wrote him again this past week .

A short buy it now offer with link to massively reduce buy it now price and that it was my final offer since he ignored my last email and failed to negotiate anything with me I told him the offer would be good for 48 hours . After that it would be 100% off the table !

I removed it on Thursday and haven't had a chance to post about it up until now when I saw your post.

•••
I once lost a couple weeks worth of data on a flash drive. I had backed it up just a couple weeks prior. The flash hardware failed.

I investigated and no one would commit to a price to recover the data simply offered a free estimate but from the way they were talking it was going to be hundreds of dollars maybe even over a thousand.

I ended up just taking the thing apart and attempting microsoldering myself but it never really worked out. As time went on and I rewrote from human memory the data that I had lost, the client files, it became less and less important to me to recover the originals. While I might’ve been willing to pay a couple hundred when I first lost the data, within a few weeks it was more of a back burner project to restore the data if I could rather than a dire need.

Similarly here as time has gone on and the non profit hasn’t imploded from lack of this URL, I assume that urgency has diminished and they’ve been less concerned about the loss. Your best chance to sell it back was immediately after it was lost - when it seemed to them like an urgent matter and a real loss. I’d be surprised if they would even swallow their pride enough to pay you much of anything as more time goes on.

Last edited:
•••
Well, I have some conflicting thoughts about this one. I am a doctoral researcher at a University, that's my day job. Universities and their affiliate entities (it's highly likely that this NFP is closely tied with the university) actually don't have 'stacks of cash' - it's the research bodies and grant bodies that do. Here in the UK they are organisations such as NERC, BBSRC etc.

These are the givers and the takers away of grant cash - and I can tell you it's hard enough to get funding for things projects actually need like equipment etc.

This guy has had the name 10 years, he runs a not-for-profit etc., he is a forgetful academic who probably doesn't care one iota about domain names and simply didn't realise he had to renew.

Personally, I would have explained I got it as a drop and gave it him back at a cost which covered my outlay, he will likely do good things with the domain, especially if he is promoting public green space.

Money isn't everything, IMO...

•••
Well, I have some conflicting thoughts about this one. I am a doctoral researcher at a University, that's my day job. Universities and their affiliate entities (it's highly likely that this NFP is closely tied with the university) actually don't have 'stacks of cash' - it's the research bodies and grant bodies that do. Here in the UK they are organisations such as NERC, BBSRC etc.

These are the givers and the takers away of grant cash - and I can tell you it's hard enough to get funding for things projects actually need like equipment etc.

This guy has had the name 10 years, he runs a not-for-profit etc., he is a forgetful academic who probably doesn't care one iota about domain names and simply didn't realise he had to renew.

Personally, I would have explained I got it as a drop and gave it him back at a cost which covered my outlay, he will likely do good things with the domain, especially if he is promoting public green space.

Money isn't everything, IMO...

Live and learn and I'm still learning......a lot

•••
The guy must have moved on. The project is still running off the subdomain. BTW universities are environments where subdomains are still commonplace.
Anyway, if he wants the name he knows he just has to wait for it to drop.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back