IT.COM

eMail?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is there a way to have email on my parked domains? Dynadot suggests I buy their hosting at $12/domain/year. That adds up to a lot of money. So I was wondering if there was any way I could setup (catch all) email accounts on my domains? Any suggestions are welcome. I'm not averse to either free or paid.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"parked domains" mean ppc company like voodoo? or self hosted?

you can get reseller hosting with "unlimited domains" (but some will later tell you its technically not unlimited) and catch all the name to one email address.

•••
If you have a VPS or dedicated server, you can setup a *MX catchall for all emails hitting any of the hosted / parked domains on the server. Issue will be that you will need to have to design and develop your own parking page(s).

•••
Your catch all email will get massive spam so use an email provider that has a spam filter that you like.

•••
My domains are parked at three parking companies. Can they help?

Am I correct in thinking that a Hosting A/C or VPS is not going to help in this situation?

I was wanting a catch-all email address per domain.

•••
Its not going to happen when your namesevers look like: NS1.VOODOO.COM

•••
I was wanting a catch-all email address per domain.

One PER domain?

Why wouldn't you want just one? You can automatically filter them into individual folders using most mail software and if you're on a single host that's more or less the same thing anyway.

Its not going to happen when your namesevers look like: NS1.VOODOO.COM

You can't just set an MX record to point to a remote server?

•••
You can't just set an MX record to point to a remote server?

sure, but voodoo.com would have to set that up since the domain is using their nameserver.

•••
sure, but voodoo.com would have to set that up since the domain is using their nameserver.

Ah, obviously... thanks.

•••
Some parking companies, such as Voodoo or Bodis, give you the option of using an IP instead of their nameservers. In that case, you can use a DNS host (or your registrar's DNS hosting, if available) for your nameservers. From there, you can set up A records pointing to the parking company's IP and MX records pointing to your mail server (you can use Google Apps to host your mail for free).

•••
You don't need hosting.
This can be done by editing your DNS zone.
The best is to use a third party DNS service, or your registrar's.
Set the MX records for the mail, the A records are the IP addresses for the website(s).
So you need to find out what are the IP addresses used by the PPC provider for your domains.

Say your domain is already parked: you can just do this from the MS-DOS command line:
Code:
ping yourdomain.com

It will resolve to one IP address. Now you have one A record.

A better way using the dig command:
Code:
dig A yourdomain.com @ns1.sedoparking.com (or whatever)
You may get more than one A record in the response.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back