NameSilo

.ES (Spanish) domain good for South America?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I own a nice Spanish (.es) domain and I'm going to start a website in Spanish with web design tutorials. I want to target all Spanish speaking countries - e.g. Mexico, Argentina, Chile, etc., including Spain.

I wonder if an .es domain would be a good option for such project? - especially if most of the traffic would be coming from South America, as there are much more people living in all these countries than just in Spain.

Do you think people in Mexico or in Argentina will click on an .es domain in the Google search results? Should I rather go for a .com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think so. South American countries generally use their country code or TLD + country code. Spain's country code is not generally used in South America or any Latin American country.

•••
I think .com Is the best option (IMO), although it is not decisive.

As for the .ES extension I do not think it is very efficient in South Africa or Argentina.

Finally it all depends on the campaign and propagation that will give your site and which marketing strategies do you use.

It is also important to count on good content.

There is a Spanish website called desarrolloweb.com, so you can take any ideas there.

In Argentina .com or com.ar by far are most popular extensions

Last edited:
•••
.com :)

Oh yes South Americans do visit a few .es domains but it's Spanish newspapers and the like. Those are not websites that target a South American audience.

•••
If you want to attract a Latin American audience, stick with .COM. Visitors from each country will be familiar with their own CCTLD but there is wide recognition of .COM. When I was in Colombia in 2012, I saw as much .COM as .COM.CO - even in the interior of the country hours from the touristy area of Cartagena.

•••
Thank you guys for your replies. So I'll rather go with a .com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back