NameSilo

domains Exact Match Domains Are A Bad Idea!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Back in the day—2012 to be exact—Google noticed that a lot of websites were trying to improve their SEO by choosing exact-match domains. Back then, if you wanted to rank for “cheap Nokia phones,” no problem! You would just buy the domain, www.cheapnokiaphones.com, for a few bucks, and presto! You would win first-page ranking.
In response, Google dropped a bombshell. It was called the Exact Match Domain Update.
The safest and easiest solution is to use your brand name as your domain name. Why? Because your brand is how customers remember you. Much of your website traffic will come from navigational search.
To be completely frank, keywords don’t matter all that much anymore. Google and search engines will learn to associate your brand name with your keywords as your brand grows in popularity and as you continue to produce content...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The article references buffer.com, their is more to it, here's the story on how and why they went from bfffr.com to bufferapp.com to buffer.com. so buffer is an emd of their brand? https://open.buffer.com/acquired-buffer-com/

•••
Whenever google goes out of their way to tell you something like that it always makes me wonder if they are trying to steer you in the wrong direction on purpose. Google does not want you to be able to do SEO. Kind of reminds me of the "if you do link trades you will be penalized" scare. They do it because they do not want people doing things that would be hard to figure out who's doing it for SEO and who's doing it organically.

•••
Whenever google goes out of their way to tell you something like that it always makes me wonder if they are trying to steer you in the wrong direction on purpose. Google does not want you to be able to do SEO. Kind of reminds me of the "if you do link trades you will be penalized" scare. They do it because they do not want people doing things that would be hard to figure out who's doing it for SEO and who's doing it organically.

I agree with you. Google HAS TO assign heavier weight to URL, especially to domain name part on the left of the dot, as it is harder to manipulate its relevance compared to the rest of the URL and, especially, with the text of the page. That is why when you search for popular terms, you'll see many domains that have the keyword in their domain name in top 10-100...

•••

I agree. Google rather you use Adwords instead.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back