Domain Empire

Forum Cash & vBookie Considered Gambling?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Okay, here's my setup. I'm going to have uCash set up, so you can earn forum cash from posting, referring members, etc. You'll be able to use the forum cash to buy raffle tickets for contests or "buy" discounts on related merch. Because of this, I want users to be able to use PayPal to purchase points.

Here is where the problem comes in... I also want to set up vBookie to run a little betting game. Is it considered illegal because you can buy the points? Technically you can't "cash out" but you can use those points for raffle tickets and maybe merchandise in the future.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Since points are redeemable as cash, it is still a form of gambling. Steer clear of legal trouble.

•••
wchan said:
Since points are redeemable as cash, it is still a form of gambling. Steer clear of legal trouble.

it also depends on where in the server is located. If its outside to United States, then its okay! :gl:

•••
check the paypal terms and conditions, i don't think (but not 100% sure) that gambling transactions are allowed.

•••
filth said:
check the paypal terms and conditions, i don't think (but not 100% sure) that gambling transactions are allowed.

I'm pretty sure it is allowed, but let me check...

•••
The thing I am confused about, is if it is illegal to gamble, how do those poker sites get away with it? Are they in a special genre where gambling is allowed? I am a legal newbie when it comes to the legal side of the internet. :)

•••
I personally don't think that there this a problem at all.

•••
ApeXX said:
The thing I am confused about, is if it is illegal to gamble, how do those poker sites get away with it? Are they in a special genre where gambling is allowed? I am a legal newbie when it comes to the legal side of the internet. :)

...most of the sites are located outside the US.

•••
wchan said:

No, actually, I clearly said you won't be able to exchange your earned points for cash:

Technically you can't "cash out" but you can use those points for raffle tickets and maybe merchandise in the future.

So although you wouldn't be recieving cash, you'd still earn physical property for winning. However, winning a bet doesn't guarantee you'll be able to "buy" anything because you could always spend the points on actual forum-related things.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back