Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello and Assalamo Alaikum,

It’s been a while since I discussed my last domain sale. As everyone knows we are in the middle of this year and my target to make 20-24 sales per year is quite far away right now. This is my 6th sale of this year and I am not happy with the number of sales but what I can say is the total revenue generated is great so far but numbers of sales are not up to the mark.

What I have also noticed is the number of inquiries since the beginning of 2016, which has been on the low side. I have discussed this with fellow domainers and most of them were in the same boat.

Coming to the sale which I just completed through Sedo was for the domain BrightEnergy.com which eventually sold for $28,000. Buyer contacted through Sedo with initial offer of $1,000. I countered with $38,888. As the negotiation history cannot be seen right now because the sale is completed, I cannot share exactly how we negotiated further but it was something like buyer gave 5K, 10K, 12K, 15K, 17.5K, 18,300, 27,500. I wanted to tell that buyer also came through Afternic broker and those mentioned counter offers were included from both platforms. I knew the buyer is same and using Sedo and Afternic simultaneously. The entire deal took almost a month to get completed from the initial offer to completing the transaction.

I wanted to thank Brian Michitti (Sedo broker) who was very good in handling this entire transaction on my behalf and very quick in taking necessary actions on time.

Feel free to give your feedback and share your recent sales.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Great sale. Congratulations!

•••
If the domain is sold after being listed at multiple marketplaces how is the commission distributed?

In your case you said it was listed at Afternic and Sedo and the buyer was negotiating using both platforms.

•••
What's interesting about brightenergy.com is there are several trademarks filed against this name. How does that work? What if the new buyer competes in the same industry as one of the trademark owners?

Did this worry you that there were potential trademark issues with your domain?

•••
•••
•••
@AbdulBasit.com few questions if you dont mind:

1. How did you came up with $38,888? The estibot appraisal before the sale completed was quite low and the search volume is low.

2. Did the company name is Bright Energy LLC or Bright Energy Inc or something like that? or did they own similar domain apart from BrightEnergy.net ?

3. What is your asking price at sedo and afternic when you received $1k offer? Did you put higher price of say $50k asking price, etc?

4. Did you put minimum offer of $1k? Or you dindt put any minimum offer? The buyer was the one that came up with $1k?

Thanks

•••
Another question, how did you counter $38k? I can't even countered above $10k. The system required something like appraisal to counter more than $10k, correct me if i am wrong?

•••
•••
@domainrz
Many thanks yeah :)

@dennisok
Cool, thanks!

@pchip
Thanks! Nice question. I asked the broker when he initially got involved about the commission but he said it will remain same. That was good for me if the commission remained same :)

@Nile Patel
Thanks yeah :)

@matj
Thanks, yeah bro :)

@infosec3
Thanks mate :)

@Justin Matmor
As the buyer used both Afternic and Sedo thinking I might give out lower price at one of the marketplaces but since I knew the buyer was same and even if I didn't, the price would remained same. In the end, Sedo helped in completing the transaction so commission of 15% will be awarded to Sedo only.
There is always worries in businesses and TM issues, losing a deal, lost domains and many more problems in this business but that's part of the game.

@900Worldwide

@deflee79
Many thanks yeah :)

@Rich_Millionaire
1) That's why I say not to even see Estibot appraisal and never quote according to search volume. As energy sector is huge, so even asking $38,888 was not huge for someone serious in this industry.
2) I didn't knew about the buyer because using Sedo/Afternic you never come to know the exact buyer detail and buyer made me aware of recent .net purchase and at that time we were in the middle of negotiation.
3) Depends on the domain. I set price when the inquiry comes.
4) No minimum set at Sedo.
5) When you receive inquiry at Sedo, you are free to counter with whatever amount you want.

@gbs domain
Thanks mate :)

•••
@AbdulBasit.com

great sale,
great negotiation
congrats

initially I wanted to ask you
why you bought the domain in the first place

as I would not have regged it for reg fee
but I think I know by now .

thank you for letting us know

what made you choose 38k as a asking price
why not 88k?

•••
great success story @AbdulBasit.com, congratulations!

do you list your domains with the same price range on all sites you have them listed?

•••
Do you just leave your domain listed in sedo hoping someone will contact you (which may never happen) or do you promote your domains?

•••
•••
@frank-germany
Thanks mate.
If you wouldn't even hand registered then I would suggest you to read a lot about domaining because those 2 are great keywords and altogether makes it perfect brand for any energy related company.
When there are alternatives, you cannot ask for too much (88K) and should be reasonable to strike the deal and that's what I did while giving out my asking price.

@Baldomains
Thanks! Glad you like it.
I never list my domains with pricing except Afternic who force you to submit BIN/Reserve/Mininum/Floor whenever you get an inquiry. I use Sedo and Uniregistry market as well where I don't list price and want the buyer to present an offer at first.

@Justin Matmor
I list my domains at Sedo and other marketplaces but not promote anywhere.

@Alfin Fikri
Thanks very much :)

•••
@frank-germany
Thanks mate.
If you wouldn't even hand registered then I would suggest you to read a lot about domaining because those 2 are great keywords and altogether makes it perfect brand for any energy related company.
When there are alternatives, you cannot ask for too much (88K) and should be reasonable to strike the deal and that's what I did while giving out my asking price.

father and headache are 2 great keywords as well
and I don't regard $38888 "that much" lower then $88888

•••
@pchip
Thanks! Nice question. I asked the broker when he initially got involved about the commission but he said it will remain same. That was good for me if the commission remained same :)

You can't beat that. Like you said, having the broker involved helped speed up the process, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. These platforms don't give you much choice anyway since you don't know who the buyer is, for obvious reasons.

•••
@Skyvisum
Thanks. True!

@Insha010
Thanks. May be more than 2 years... Buyer was good enough at negotiation as well :D

@DANEYAL
Thanks. Glad you like it :)

@TheLegendaryJP
Thanks for your feedback and opinion which is appreciated. Very well said "focus more on margins when you can and not so much on total sales."

@DaVisionz
Energy sector is huge industry and for the right buyer this is still a bargain but I am happy to make such bargain sales all the time ;)

@arzidan
Many thanks brother :)

@deez007
CoOl. Glad you like it :)

@tiawalling
Thanks yeah!

@eko prasetio
You and everyone is always welcome :)

@Serengeti
Many thanks. Yeah, the sale completed this week.
That's why you should team up with us and sell your buyer www.fuel.today how nice would that be :)

•••
wow, it's an awesome sale. Can I have a question if you don't mind? Do you need to sign a contract or just receive money by paypal on sedo?
again, congrats man.

•••
father and headache are 2 great keywords as well
They aren't. Headache is negative and the combo does not have any brandability. Bright energy does. This is the kind of name you can be proud to have on your business cards.
You couldn't really brand a business on a name like fatherheadache or headachefather or whatever.

I like that kind of domains, that are brandable and descriptive at the same time. There is always demand for domains like these, because they can be developed into strong brands. Of course the name is also memorable, reasonably short, passes the radio test, has excellent advertising potential.

As to the pricing, I think 28K is a very good price. There are not many names that sell for 88K or in that range. You have to consider the market and the alternatives that exist, as Abdul said. I would probably have sold for less. If you aim to high you don't make sales.

•••
Nice sale, hope to see more like it.

•••
congrats on the sale. however SEDO is reporting:
brightenergy.com 24,350 USD

how come?

•••
•••
Thank you @AbdulBasit.com for responding to my question. Much appreciated. I also read your article in you website.

•••
@daica85
There was no request from buyer to hide this sale or any contract involved for any reason. There is option of receiving money through wire as well.

@Kate
Couldn't answer any better and thanks for giving that good response which is appreciated :)

@Adam27
Many thanks bro :)

@tonecas
That's what I was telling my broker to adjust the price but said I will receive $24,350 NET and total sale price was 28K.

@1NiteStand
Thanks much :)

@Baldomains
Glad you like it. Always welcome :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back