Status
Not open for further replies.

TerriJ

Established Member
Impact
How much do you think

gameapps.io

is worth and why?

Also, where do you think such a domain would be successful to sell or auction?

:droid::vulcan::spiderman::stig::alien:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds good and theoretically might work..but..I tried to sell appshop.io at Flippa, zero interest..I was thinking along the line that tech terms in combination with .io will work for some users.

When you will check auctions at FLippa, which is best to sell .io at the moment, you can see that ..io sells nicely, but 95% we speak about 1 word names..so I bet Elephant.io (even non tech) would sell much higher then 2 word tech domain name..

You can try it, it costs USD 9 to lists auction there, but do not expect much, mainly in case your auction will have no visibility..I guess it is good to try to get a feeling though :)

•••
Sounds good and theoretically might work..but..I tried to sell appshop.io at Flippa, zero interest..I was thinking along the line that tech terms in combination with .io will work for some users.
Wow. Valuable info.
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking! tech keyword + .io = Jackpot!
Eh... we shall see.
I will definitely try Flippa for this one.
Thank you!

•••
I tried to sell three tech .IO's on Flippa. One went for $205, the other for $1, the other didn't get more than 10 views. Oddly enough, two were big buzz words with hyphens in them (including the one that sold for $205). It's all about who's on the site at what time. Chances are, unless you list for 30 days on Flippa and cross promote, you will need to probably pay to be featured someone one their site to get more eyes on the listing. Best of luck!

•••
It's all about who's on the site at what time. Chances are, unless you list for 30 days on Flippa and cross promote, you will need to probably pay to be featured someone one their site to get more eyes on the listing. Best of luck!

Yes, I've read from people who do well on Flippa, the best strategy is to auction for 30 days, starting at $1 with NO RESERVE...

The part about no reserve makes me really nervous though. :dead:

•••
Yes, I've read from people who do well on Flippa, the best strategy is to auction for 30 days, starting at $1 with NO RESERVE...

The part about no reserve makes me really nervous though. :dead:

It is trick. It's the worst idea if you're only listing for 7 days. But if you're not at least seeing any traction on your auction (views/watchers) in the first two weeks or so, it may not be worth anything any way. I would say... list for 30 days, do a $1 no reserve, see if people even care, and 72 - 48 hours before the end of the auction, if you see lots of interest, maybe pay the $50 for the feature.

Keep in mind, people on Flippa usually wait until the last hours of the auction to bid. So be patient.

If there isn't interest though... someone could steal that .IO from you for $1 right at the end. It's happened to me.

•••
I will definitely try that and report back with my experience. (y)

------------------update-----------------
Doing some Flippa research right now. Some findings:

gamer.io sold for $105 -- Didn't feature (11 bids, started at $1)
onlinegame.io sold for $45 -- same stats as above
appgames.io sold for $31 -- didn't feature (8 bids, started at $1)
webgames.io sold for $41 -- didn't feature (9 bids, started at $1)
--------------------
Average of above: $55.50

Not sure how to tell how many days these were listed for.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Good luck!

Just learned .io stand for Indian Ocean? Do these do well? Complete n00b here when it comes to domaining hehe

•••
Good luck!

Just learned .io stand for Indian Ocean? Do these do well? Complete n00b here when it comes to domaining hehe

From everything I've read, these are popular in the tech industry with start ups... not sure exactly why. Maybe because it's short? (Though there are other tlds with 2 letters.... so I can't say for sure. I'm pretty new to this as well!)

•••
They are popular in the tech industry because "IO" stands for "Input/Output". I work in the tech industry, and when we say something has high "I/O", it means that it's doing a lot of reading and writing to a disk or media volume. Thus xxxx.io is great for techies, because it's a play on an acronym that they use a lot.

Terri I saw your update and it looks like these aren't going for much more than the reg fee for a .IO ($55 on average lately). That being the case, I would NOT recommend posting yours on Flippa. After the listing fee, and success fee, if you sell it, you may not see any profit, and possibly some loss.

•••
Terri I saw your update and it looks like these aren't going for much more than the reg fee for a .IO ($55 on average lately). That being the case, I would NOT recommend posting yours on Flippa. After the listing fee, and success fee, if you sell it, you may not see any profit, and possibly some loss.

Absolutely. I may end up:
  • Selling through my site (not paying fees to anyone else to host)
  • Selling on this forum
  • Or hope someone inquires through the form on the landing page.

I have looked at .io domains on other sites like GoDaddy. Possibly a better opportunity over there.

It is possible that the examples I posted were just poorly marketed (as in: not at all) -- they didn't pay to feature. Also, I'm not sure how long they listed these auctions for. They may have been 7 day auctions. If listed longer, perhaps they would have sold for more. (I'm thinking that's what may have happened.)

I'll have to sleep on this one. O_o

•••
In all honesty, if you listed on Flippa for 30 days, with a reserve to at least make your money back, no promotion, and a BIN price that is reasonable enough so as to not price yourself out of the market, you should be able to see what the pull is for this name and only really be out the listing fee. Then you can decide to sell it (if you get enough bids), or to sandbag it for a while and let the offers come to you.

Best advice I ever received: Domaining is not a short hold game. If you buy a domain, you should be prepared to sit on it until the right offer presents itself. This will also prevent you from dumping a bunch of money into garbage domains that never sell (much like I have done in the past).

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back