NameSilo

Getting Real w/ Development

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have started reading a book called Getting Real by 37signals. It has been a great read so far, and I was wondering if anyone else has read the book?

The book goes into depth about 37signals' application development and business philosophies. I believe I will take some ideas from the book and put them into practice!

I have a project that I am currently working on, where I was originally going to put as many features and make it as useful to every group out there that I could -- well, after reading Getting Real I know I was in a fantasy land, and I should not put myself in a loosing scenario.

I am rethinking my development strategy, and I believe now I have a foundation to build a solid web application ;)

If you have no clue what I am talking about, then you should read the book! If you are a developer, then you will not be disappointed.

There are 3 versions of the book available: Hard Copy, PDF, and HTML

The HTML version is what I am reading, and it is also the free version. Here is the link to the hmtl version: Getting Real

Let me know what you think of the book :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the heads up. Anyone who has tried to brainstorm a good development project has fallen into the "too feature rich" trap. I will take a good look to the advice in this book, and I'm glad to see a free resource out there for developers on this topic.

•••
Oh ya, I was one of those developers in the 'too rich with features' category. I have changed my thinking! I now wish to be one of the developers in the 'simple and to the point' category. Only make features that address the problem or theme of your application.

I am on chapter 5 now. It is a good read, and so far nothing is out of wack.

I am glad I came across this resource! It just may change my life for the better ;)

•••
Thanks for the link, just started reading it :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back