Dynadot

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
lots of info here, has anyone had success selling via premuim listing recently?

•••
GD states that certain transactions move to Escrow, but I don't see that happening. What is a typical waiting period for receiving funds that have cleared?

I had one sale that was moved to Escrow. But my smaller sales (roughly 1000 and under) are handled by G.

(auctions)
I have had payments about 20 days after a sale.
I got an email this morning about a payment, that should arrive ten days after the sale.

•••
Can someone comment about recent experiences with successful GoDaddy auctions? Specifically in regard to sellers, what is the process? GD states that certain transactions move to Escrow, but I don't see that happening. What is a typical waiting period for receiving funds that have cleared?

They only use Escrow.com for transactions over $5k (used to be $2k).

Most of my domains are held at Dynadot. I used to try completing the sale with a push to another Dynadot account. I've given up with that idea. Most buyers don't have a clue. So I just give them the auth code, unlock the domain, and ask them to put in a transfer request at GoDaddy. I then give them the Transfer Codes that GoDaddy needs for the transfer. But I'm considering just transferring the domain to my account, and pushing it to the buyers account. OK. It'll cost me approx $8.50 for the transfer, but it will save a whole lot of hassles.

After funds have been received, there is always a 5 day waiting period before you can talk to the buyer. I usually receive the funds up to 10 days after the domain is in their account.

•••
They only use Escrow.com for transactions over $5k (used to be $2k).

After funds have been received, there is always a 5 day waiting period before you can talk to the buyer. I usually receive the funds up to 10 days after the domain is in their account.
Wow. I swear I read on GD's website that it was transactions over $50. I thought that was really low. Unless I'm simply losing my mind, which is never entirely out of the equation.

•••
. But I'm considering just transferring the domain to my account, and pushing it to the buyers account. OK. It'll cost me approx $8.50 for the transfer, but it will save a whole lot of hassles.

I did that once. got the offer on G auctions, I transferred the domain from enom to G, then I accepted the offer.

•••
10-20 day wait times is a big big negative in my book.

And, more bad information from award-winning registrar:

Depending on the selling price, the transaction will be handled in one of two ways:
  • Lower Value Listings - Items sold under $50.00
    GoDaddy Auctions® will process the transaction through its own secure Transaction Assurance program. GoDaddy Auctions® holds the buyer's funds for 30 days before releasing them to the seller (less the commission fee). The 30-day window typically provides enough time for the Change of Ownership or Transfer to occur. And of course, GoDaddy's outstanding Customer Service and Support are available to both the buyer and seller 24/7.
  • High Value Listings - Items sold at $50.00 or more
    All high-value GoDaddy Auctions® transactions are automatically protected by our premier escrow service partner, Escrow.com. Commission fees are subtracted from the seller's proceeds.

Last edited:
•••
I hope the auction results return; this industry needs more transparency, not less.

In the U.S., when I buy or sell physical real estate, it becomes a matter of public record.

Why shouldn't it be the same with virtual property?

IMO there's a positive and negative here. It's fine for fanning the flames of domain hype dollar figures to feed the speculation game, but it gives a big one up for end users who with a quick google search can leverage cost for different branding purposes, keyword placement etc etc....here's ONE example...I've recently won 2 DN\s that have a reported previous DN sale selling prices over 10 grand....got 'em both for under 50 bucks...and there are more of 'em about to be close outs soon...unreal.

•••
10-20 day wait times is a big big negative in my book.

And, more bad information from award-winning registrar:

Depending on the selling price, the transaction will be handled in one of two ways:
  • Lower Value Listings - Items sold under $50.00
    GoDaddy Auctions® will process the transaction through its own secure Transaction Assurance program. GoDaddy Auctions® holds the buyer's funds for 30 days before releasing them to the seller (less the commission fee). The 30-day window typically provides enough time for the Change of Ownership or Transfer to occur. And of course, GoDaddy's outstanding Customer Service and Support are available to both the buyer and seller 24/7.
  • High Value Listings - Items sold at $50.00 or more
    All high-value GoDaddy Auctions® transactions are automatically protected by our premier escrow service partner, Escrow.com. Commission fees are subtracted from the seller's proceeds.

Interesting. GD must be changing something on-the-fly. Tried to find this exact quote on GD website but was unable to. The only related article is a formal auctions legal agreement, which still refers to $5000 min for escrow.com transactions. Do you have a bookmark, and, if so, with what exact url @ godaddy.com?

The good side is that GD is at least trying to improve or change something, since previous or current auctions model is far from perfect...

•••
Interesting. GD must be changing something on-the-fly. Tried to find this exact quote on GD website but was unable to. The only related article is a formal auctions legal agreement, which still refers to $5000 min for escrow.com transactions. Do you have a bookmark, and, if so, with what exact url @ godaddy.com?

The good side is that GD is at least trying to improve or change something, since previous or current auctions model is far from perfect...
You had to ask. :)

It was near impossible to find. I'll try to get the url once I'm off my tablet.

•••
@forge - I agree with tonyk2000. The price level it goes to Escrow.com is $5000, as I stated earlier. I too was going to ask for the url for your quote, but I see he has asked you already :)

•••
I think I read somewhere on NP that this was a mistake, which they were going to correct. But you can wait and hear that straight from the horses mouth :)

•••
Hi All,

It used to be that any domain I had put on my auction watch list would remain there for a certain amount of days after the auction was completed so you go back and see what the domain's final price was.

For me at least, that is no longer the case. As soon as the auction is over the domain disappears from the watch list. I'm assuming this is the case for everyone.

Called godaddy yesterday and asked about this and the people in the auction department said that shouldn't be happening that the domains should remain on your watch list for a period of days.

Hard to believe the auction department doesn't even know this change has taken place, that is if it is an error in the system or it's a change that has been made to the way the watch list is being handled by godaddy.

Anyone's experience with this is appreciated..

Auction department said they would get back to me on what they find out after they asked me to send them an email about the situation, which I did..

Thanks

Same here, just those names that you have ever placed a bid are there...

Hard to know the final price as auctions always end midnight in my place...

•••
I think I read somewhere on NP that this was a mistake, which they were going to correct. But you can wait and hear that straight from the horses mouth :)
No, I'm aware that this is a mistake and I never doubted you about the $5,000 threshold. I'm just putting it out there for the record. By the way, GoDaddy stinks as far as navigating their website for information about practically anything.

Here's the link. You'll need to go there and then click on "Features & Tools" and then "Buyer & Seller Protection". It's a pop-up window so I can't link it directly. GoDaddy also seems to have come connection issues right now.

https://www.godaddy.com/auctions/domain-auctions.aspx?ci=20895

Last edited:
•••
Indeed, the popup contains the somewhat misleding info about $50 for escrow.com and 30 days $$$ hold for <$50 internal transactions. No further details available, thought it might be a full page with some explanations. Does auctions support really works 24/7? The same popup states "GoDaddy's outstanding Customer Service and Support are available to both the buyer and seller 24/7"

•••
Yes. [email protected] works 24/7. But I do see slightly longer wait times at the weekend. But most of the time I get replies from about 30 minutes to about 5 hours.

•••
Low ballers eh? I dont usually use that word hate but I make exceptions when it comes to low-ballers. Dude puts domain on GD for 1.5k and you make $90 offer. How do you deal with that. And they say domaining is stressful. Yeah with offers like that.

I countered 1k, he offered $150 now I changed domain to BIN 650. You like it at that price, you know what to do.You dont? Keep moving.

What I would like to know is if a domain has had a bid, and one changes the listing to a 7 day auction are the chances of making a sale any higher considering all factors.

•••
I know the feeling bytedo. But it is partly the sellers fault if they put a Buy Now price of $1.5k, and don't put any realistic minimum of say $500-750. It works up the scale too. I have a minimum of $999 for my domains, and get quite a few lowball offers of $999-$1000. I return with mid $Xk, and they come back with $1150. I tell them it's not enough, and the come back with $1250. At which point I stop responding. I had one guy bid on the same domain at GoDaddy and Sedo, in the same fashion. So he knew my thoughts already. I closed the offer thread at Sedo.

•••
What happens if I default on payment for the auction that I was the highest and only bidder? I will be able to pay only after the date stated in the mail that was sent after I won the auction.

•••
You should make payment before that date. If not, you may be banned from future auctions, unless GoDaddy allow you to pay a fine to reinstate your auctions membership.

•••
Thank you stub! I hope I will manage to pay before the date. I have some issues with my bank and there is a two day national holiday in my country so the bank will open its offices only one day after the date for the payment :( ...

•••
@johsnow Recently when I accidentally missed to make payment for a domain within the time frame stated by them, I got another email with a subject payment due. The new email stated that I must complete the payment within 48 hours to avoid administrative fees and possible auction membership termination. My guess is that everyone gets the second email if payment is not made within the time frame, but why take the risk of possible membership termination. If you are having payment issues due to national holiday, contact GD auctions support and let them know about it. They might make an exception in such case.

•••
Thank you VNA for the answer. I hope you are right about the second email. I will try to contact GD support and explain them the situation.

•••
Lo, the dreaded asterisk! Has anyone else noticed that pesky asterisk now attached to every single GoDaddy auction bid price?

* Plus a one year domain name registration renewal fee and ICANN fee, if applicable.

Just now after years. I wonder if they were facing a class action for omitting that little detail, for example.

•••
anyone else get the email that says the auction fees will be increasing?

Cost of domain ------- $50-$5000

Commission fees ------- 20% ($15 minimum)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back