NameSilo

news GoDaddy buys dnAcademy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just saw a Twitter post from @Paul Nicks that GoDaddy has bought dnAcademy! Big congrats to Mike Cyger (@Michael Cyger) and GoDaddy!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's up to the competition (Dynadot, Namecheap, Sedo etc) to continuously up their game so that GoDaddy doesn't rest on their laurels.

Ha! Ha! GoDaddy can't even keep a stable Control Panel

•••
That's possible of course - but it does not make the domain names you mentioned unbuyable nor does it make a certain (non - "com" -) domain name buyable for GD (or for Elon Musk (or any other billionaire (or secret trillionaire))) and one can assume that DNA (GD) will (continue to) avoid teaching the latter (which I can totally understand as it would mean they would have to "admit" that "com" is not "top").
One word that's certainly unbuyable:

Vomit.com

•••
GoDaddy bought Afternic and although I am making more sales there than other aftermarkets, it's also the clunkiest to deal with.

They also acquired Sellbrite (think that founder's name was Michael too) and that site is slow, unintuitive and lacks any innovation. Errors without error messages. Glitches and bugs.

•••
•••
I hope that DNAcademy content will not be influenced by the fact it is now owned by GD. That is my one concern with too many aspects of domain investing within one company.
You retained my respect with that comment @Bob Hawkes.

•••
i'm anticipating a change to gd appraisal tool, perhaps charging a fee or limiting usage.
Or even making it a truthful representation of current market price rather than a tool solely designed to profit at whatever cost to real people just trying to make some extra bucks in their spare time.

•••
•••
•••
It is always the owner (of an asset) who ultimately decides what is the "right" price (range) while the buyer can only decide to purchase the (owner's) asset for (in) that price (range) or not.

And if something is priceless then only because the owner (of the asset) decided so.

Then no amount of money is enough to purchase the (owner's) asset and this is the point where even the hardest doubter will realize that it is only the owner (of an asset) who ultimately decides what is the "right" price (range).

•••
It is always the owner (of an asset) who ultimately decides what is the "right" price (range) while the buyer can only decide to purchase the (owner's) asset for (in) that price (range) or not.

And if something is priceless then only because the owner (of the asset) decided so.

Then no amount of money is enough to purchase the (owner's) asset and this is the point where even the hardest doubter will realize that it is only the owner (of an asset) who ultimately decides what is the "right" price (range).
What would be the top price of the top domain name ?

•••
•••
What would be the top price of the top domain name ?

Without the top discount definitely beyond the purchasing power / possibilities of GODADDY or anyone else.

•••
Without the top discount definitely beyond the purchasing power / possibilities of GODADDY or anyone else.
Surely the top discount on the top domain name would make it a free push ?

•••
•••
Surely the top discount on the top domain name would make it a free push ?

Yes ... thats correct.

But (the) "top discount" is not longer available (already registered), so no free push ... sorry.

However, the good news is that I just changed my plan and decided that even without the top discount it has to be affordable ... simply by negotiation, for the right offer ... so, where is a will there is a way, sure DNACADEMY / GODADDY negotiated as well.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
How can he be so rich! Have been buying

•••
More like consolidation.
GoDaddy buys more and more to cement its position as the dominant player by:

- Buying Namecheap, Sedo, Dan, Park.io, Brandbucket and Squadhelp to snuff out competition
- Buying Huge Domains, Buy Domains and Domain Market
- Buying.xyz registry and all Swetha's portfolio
- Buying all of Rick Schwartz's portfolio
- Buying all Blockchain extensions
- Buying The .nft .meta and .Omni extensions
- Buying all dropcatching software used by other dropcatchers and registries
- Buying Opensea and Rarible
- Buying the handshake registry
- Buying DN Journal
- Buying Namebio
- Buying all domain-related podcasts
- Buying all media agencies and freelance sites to boost its offering to end users
- Buying Domaingang for its entertainment division

And finally...

- Buying NamePros

Cue dreaded laugher and moustache twirling
Oh well.

It looks like my apocalyptic prediction (poss the first of many) turned right:

https://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroo...etails/2022/GoDaddy-Acquires-Dan/default.aspx

https://news.dan.com/216025-dan-amp-godaddy-join-forces

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
When is GoDaddy Academy going to launch? All I see is this page: https://www.DNAcademy/godaddy-academy-waitlist

DNAcademy was acquired by GoDaddy on March 21, 2022.

Leave us your name and email address and we will let you know when GoDaddy Domain Academy (the new and improved DNAcademy) is available for sign-up.

But this was in March, 2022. Any news on this please?

@Paul Nicks @Michael Cyger

Last edited:
•••
When is GoDaddy Academy going to launch? All I see is this page: https://www.DNAcademy/godaddy-academy-waitlist

But this was in March, 2022. Any news on this please?

@Paul Nicks @Michael Cyger

Ok, I see that the new GoDaddy Domain Academy is now open for enrollment.

But I cannot enter its link here, strange. Why is the link censored?

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
You mean this? https://godaddy.com/s/domain-academy
Apparently it's free for DDC members.
Yes, if you register for either level of the GD DDC you can then, when signed in, access the DNAcademy.
The messaging seems to imply only the more expensive option includes the academy, but either do.
-Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back