IT.COM

offers Gonna buy a domain, don't know it worths the offer!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mohammad

Established Member
Impact
I'm going to buy a domain. First time, seller didn't reply my email and second time I offered him $500 for a 2 words .com domain which estibot says its value is about $950. Now, I think I could buy it cheaper and I made a mistake by offering $500. I thought he won't sell it lower than $1000 but now he accepted the $500 offer. How may I be sure that the domain is valuable like $500? Should I take a time and ask a 3rd party (my close friend) to buy it for lower price? :-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yep. There is no obligation on anyone not to make a lowball or less than it's worth offer. That's up to the seller to decide and to respond accordingly. What is lowball to you might be perfect for the seller. It's the same as all those lowball $1k offers for Chinese CHIPS we keep getting in the mail. You never know the response of the seller, unless you make an offer. You are obviously not going to make your highest offer, your initial offer. It's a process of negotiations 99.9% of the time. There is no obvious "right" figure for any domain other than what the buyer and seller agree on.

That's why we should focus our energy on the families of the deceased, or those without a decent succession plan so we can pick up the pieces on the cheap - because, you know, it's the market. It's worthwhile sending low ball offers to people who own domains that have recently picked up in value because, you know, it's the market and their fault if they're not paying attention / need the money / sick / or whatever. Circumstances don't matter. The marketplace is king.

That's what we're saying, right? :)

•••
@DU - Yep to the seller not paying attention to the market. That's a self-inflicted wound. But I'm not saying that if you know the circumstances of the seller you should abuse that knowledge and rip off the seller*. Besides that example pails in comparison to the 99.99% of the time, you know nothing about the sellers circumstances, other than what you can pickup from your searches. Which more often than not gives you no indication of their circumstances. What you don't know cannot be impugned against you.

*I use the term rip of the seller, lightly, because I can't see how you can rip off somebody who willingly sells you a domain. But I suppose it could happen under certain circumstances.

Last edited:
•••
Good luck to people trying to figure out the difference between low-balling and offering less than it's worth :)

There is no need for luck.
For some specific domain categories such as short, numeric and emds there is a reseller market value and a tool called namebio..

For other categories it is all about negotiation I suppose

•••
I really disagree with this. Low ball offers only reach the goal to piss the seller off.
One thing is making an offer that gives you margin to resell, another is low balling. The latter is in my view unprofessional and counterproductive.

I understand what you mean. But what I would say to a seller who gets pissed and thinks is unprofessional, that is a lead, someone who is interested in buying your domain. Just because they say $20 does not mean they are insulting you. I welcome as many low ball offers as possible just means I have to filter through them and see who is willing to come close to my price.

As a buyer though I do not start with the maximum number I am willing to pay or what I feel the domain is worth. I low ball offer to see what the seller's price is and we begin negotiations. The funny aspect of this is within the domain game we will play both parts, the buyer and the seller. We just have to know how to play the game while taking the unnecessary emotion out of it.

- Will

•••
Hi Will,

I was not in any way saying I express my dislike of receiving $20 offers on my domains. I normally try to reply to all offers, however fruitless it feels :( An offer is an expression of interest. You never know where it might end up.

rgds
stu

•••
@DU - Yep to the seller not paying attention to the market. That's a self-inflicted wound. But I'm not saying that if you know the circumstances of the seller you should abuse that knowledge and rip off the seller*. Besides that example pails in comparison to the 99.99% of the time, you know nothing about the sellers circumstances, other than what you can pickup from your searches. Which more often than not gives you no indication of their circumstances. What you don't know cannot be impugned against you.

*I use the term rip of the seller, lightly, because I can't see how you can rip off somebody who willingly sells you a domain. But I suppose it could happen under certain circumstances.

There's a scene that I love that was cut from the movie High Fidelity (the book was better):

•••
I've been having problems seeing YouTube Videos since I upgraded my openSUSE to the latest 42.1. Haven't got around to figuring out what the problem is yet. Been too busy. It's low priority since I only occasionally want to view any :(

•••
I've been having problems seeing YouTube Videos since I upgraded my openSUSE to the latest 42.1. Haven't got around to figuring out what the problem is yet. Been too busy. It's low priority since I only occasionally want to view any :(
That's because you're operating 30 versions ahead of the most current release :) Issue is not Suse but most likely your browser.

Go here: https://www.youtube.com/html5 ;)

•••
Nope 42.1 is the latest version. AHA. I should have thought about the Browser. Sometime FireFox openSUSE does run a tad behind. I'll check that now. Thanks.

•••
Yep it worked in Chromium. It says it should work in FireFox. Have to investigate why not working. Funny...

•••
@DU - Also. I can view most YouTube videos on YouTube. But not yours above. So there must be something special about it? :(

•••
Honor your word as a Businessman and as a Man and have some integrity.

Damn straight. If you made a mistake, you should take it on the chin and still proceed with it. If you don't, you are sacrificing important business principle for a small sum of money. That's a terrible deal for you.

You should be a man of your word and your word should be your bond.

•••
I don't think you are obligated just because you just asked if they would take a certain amount, Unless you made a commitment which I don't think you did. it's the games that makes it inappropriate, honesty imo is the best policy.

I doubt all the people that said your word is your bond are saying so from experience. Some of them may find themselves to be hypocrites when keeping their word means getting the short end of the stick or hurting themselves. I'm not naive to the world and especially this business.

•••
@Brandingtheweb.com - I hope your comments are not directed at me. An Offer is binding if it's Accepted. In most peoples books, it is a commitment to buy and sell. Of course people renege on these kinds of deals all day long. But that doesn't make it right to renege on such deals.

•••
@Brandingtheweb.com - I hope your comments are not directed at me. An Offer is binding if it's Accepted. In most peoples books, it is a commitment to buy and sell. Of course people renege on these kinds of deals all day long. But that doesn't make it right to renege on such deals.
No it was not directed at you or anyone in particular, I did not read most of the posts. I'm just saying it's more of an ethical issue than a contractual one.

•••
No it was not directed at you or anyone in particular, I did not read most of the posts. I'm just saying it's more of an ethical issue than a contractual one.

Personally, I don't think you should be making such incendiary comments without reading most of the thread. I could agree with you about ethical/contractual ratio. I doubt if you would get very far in a court of law. But we don't know all the facts.

•••
Personally, I don't think you should be making such incendiary comments without reading most of the thread. I could agree with you about ethical/contractual ratio. I doubt if you would get very far in a court of law. But we don't know all the facts.
I left a few other posts.... I'm sorry but with over 60 posts in this thread and some of them read like short stories I don't have the time to read most of them. I wanted to contribute my opinions as I felt they'd be relevant, unlike your post about troubleshooting your computer because you can't watch youtube videos:) Anyways if this was a more serious issue I will hope that I would have looked into it a lot more before I give my opinion.

•••
@Brandingtheweb.com - Touche! But I usually find it very easy to decide whether a post is relevant to read or not. You could have easily ignored my video problems in your scan but read the more relevant, and mostly longer messages.

•••
@Brandingtheweb.com - Touche! But I usually find it very easy to decide whether a post is relevant to read or not. You could have easily ignored my video problems in your scan but read the more relevant, and mostly longer messages.
the video comments didn't bother me at all I'm happy you found a solution.

•••
@Brandingheweb.com - I would say this thread is about done at this point. Thanks for your contributions.

•••

He wouldn't get very far in a court of law because it would never make it to a court of law (and if it did it would get thrown out).
His comment more or less mirrors mine so I don't see it as incendiary at all - it's just an opinion :)

•••
@DU - I thought your comments were incendary too ;) But at least you had read the thread.

•••
LOL, just kidding, but I would hate to be the seller if you did back back out, it is lame and you shouldn't be making offers if you aren't prepared to follow through. However I too am guilty of doing this, ended up costing me like $175 on sedo as I had to pay the commission, I tried to contact the buyer to apologize but couldn't get in touch. For personal financial reasons I wasn't able to follow through and have felt bad since. But, looks like the seller found another buyer, so everyone was ok.

We all make mistakes, if it were me I would be transparent with the seller if you really don't want the name. Just tell them you are new and were not thinking straight when you made the offer and have to back out.
Just taking a few consideration; like saying I'm new to the domain world; inexperienced here and there. And I didn't realized I made a decision, quicker than thunderstorms & lighting put together. So, I apologized for this situation. I thank you for your understanding; And move on...

Deserve a second chance would be nice.

•••
You should show the domain, everyone will give you an advice.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back