Watch

Centauri

Established Member
Impact
Hey,

now that GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) is so hyped,
and news GPT .com sold for over $40k,
chatgpt.com valued at $29 bio. recently,

its maybe time to have a small but dedicated thread for GPT.

Do you own any names?

chat-gpt-examples.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
progpt.com sells for $5k,
while someone else has to rename his site?!

something does not add up here,...
What do you mean?

•••
progpt.com sells for $5k,
while someone else has to rename his site?!

something does not add up here,...
In some cases they are targeting the domains users but not the sellers .

•••
•••
"I doubt that OpenAI's recent application seeking to trademark "GPT" will be approved.
Maybe specific models/products, but not just "GPT" by itself...

To be able to register a trademark in the U.S., the applicant has to show that the proposed trademark is in fact "distinctive" of their company.

The more generic a term is in its field, whether to begin with (i.e., by not becoming distinctive in the first place...), or over time (i.e., by failing to maintain its distinctiveness),
the less likely it is to be registerable.

And, such "distinctiveness" is notably harder to achieve and/or maintain for terms that are more generic/descriptive rather than truly unique

In the case of "GPT," in the context of software (specifically A.I.), those letters -- particularly in that combination -- are understood to stand for things that refer to a kind of A.I. language model having certain characteristics, even though OpenAI was first to produce a (g)enerative (p)retrained (t)ransformer and they're still the most notable provider of such technologies."

source: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35376877

The term 'transformer' is by the way a wide-spread term for a neural network architecture for language understanding,
invented in 2017.

https://ai.googleblog.com/2017/08/transformer-novel-neural-network.html
I think it will be approved.

The only reason the term "GPT" is synonymous with AI is because of their usage.

https://domaingang.com/domain-law/o...ist-letters-to-providers-of-chatgpt-services/

Brad

Last edited:
•••
How do you see this ImprintGpt•Com ?

•••

https://domaingang.com/domain-law/o...ist-letters-to-providers-of-chatgpt-services/

Brad

The term "transformer" is a wide spread term at google.
That would mean that gpt occupies this term?
- which it cannot.

Besides that, gpt is a very generic abbreviation.

Open ai was a little late, claiming the term solely for itself,although "open" ai is supposed to be a non profit organization
(😆)

Best regards

•••
What do you mean?
Demand for gpt domains is still high, as the usage of gpt might be possible in future.

Open ai might get some specific, clear defined rights,
narrowed down to something like chatgpt function (talking with AI).

Last edited:
•••
The term "transformer" is a wide spread term at google.
That would mean that gpt occupies this term?
- which it cannot.

Besides that, gpt is a very generic abbreviation.

Open ai was a little late, claiming the term solely for itself,although "open" ai is supposed to be a non profit organization
(😆)

Best regards
Sure, "GPT" itself can mean anything. I doubt OpenAI has an issue with "Green Portable Toilets". :ROFL:

Let's be honest though, the only reason people are registering "GPT" domains is because they are piggybacking off the "GPT" use by OpenAI.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
CodeitGPT.com

Perfect fit for individuals and businesses looking to build, create, and innovate with coding using ChatGPT.

"Codeit" itself have numerous companies with suffix like app, software, technology, academy, worldwide to name a few

CodeITGPT.jpg

•••
•••
•••
Just a question, How can they enforce something that is not approved as of yet?
A registered TM would just make their case that much stronger, but it is not required.

It is basically impossible to deny that the "GPT" use when it comes to AI is piggybacking on OpenAI's usage.
That is the only reason there is a "GPT" trend in the field.

I think it comes down to how aggressive they want to be, but it is certainly a risk.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
They cannot enforce it, until it is approved. If they get the TM approval then it is more logical to send out Cease & D letters.

Last edited:
•••
As far as I am concerned about TM:

If a company like Bloomberg is able to register BloombergGPT legally,
there is nothing that stays in the way for other word + GPT brands / names.

Bloomberg will forever be used as precedent.

Show attachment 236817

Great take.

Bloomberg Finance has millions to fight Open AI on the trademark issue around what is a generic term - GPT.
There are too many well funded corporations with pending (term+GPT) trademarks.

The time for Open AI to make their move was in 2022.

Any attempt to monopolize GPT by Open AI will be met with years long litigation from equally rich corporations. GPT = generic term at this juncture and I'm betting USPTO agrees.

•••
Great take.

Bloomberg Finance has millions to fight Open AI on the trademark issue around what is a generic term - GPT.
There are too many well funded corporations with pending (term+GPT) trademarks.

The time for Open AI to make their move was in 2022.

Any attempt to monopolize GPT by Open AI will be met with years long litigation from equally rich corporations. GPT = generic term at this juncture and I'm betting USPTO agrees.
The value in Bloomberg's domain is the "Bloomberg" part. That is their brand.

They could be BloombergAI.com or anything else and it would probably not make much of a difference to them.

Brad

•••

Brad

I don't think Open AI gets an exclusive TM approval over GPT.
There are dozens of filings from corporations with millions to ensure its an expensive fight to monopolize GPT.

At best, OPEN AI may get a narrowly defined supplemental mark. Yet, I don't even think that will happen, lets not forget a TM application has an OPPOSITION window for a reason.

You can bet Bloomberg Finance and others will argue GPT is generic at this juncture and in wide spread usage by other corporations as others have shared.

Many are speaking as IP experts or as Trademark Office experts, but nobody knows what will happen until it happens.

•••
I don't think Open AI gets an exclusive TM approval over GPT.
There are dozens of filings from corporations with millions to ensure its an expensive fight to monopolize GPT.

At best, OPEN AI may get a narrowly defined supplemental mark. Yet, I don't even think that will happen, lets not forget a TM application has an OPPOSITION window for a reason.

You can bet Bloomberg Finance and others will argue GPT is generic at this juncture and in wide spread usage by other corporations as others have shared.

Many are speaking as IP experts or as Trademark Office experts, but nobody knows what will happen until it happens.
That's fine.

At the same time it is simply acknowledging reality that "GPT" is only popular in the AI field because of OpenAI's usage. It is not some term like "AI" that has generations of usage.

I think they have a strong claim to the term personally.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The value in Bloomberg's domain is the "Bloomberg" part. That is their brand.

They could be BloombergAI.com or anything else and it would probably not make much of a difference to them.

Brad

Yet, they filed as Bloomberg GPT, when the Bloomberg portion is already trademark.
This would be a redundant filing if it was just about the "Bloomberg" portion of the mark.

Like many other companies filing Term+GPT filings, the "GPT" is relevant to their IP ventures.

Hence, the growing number of term+GPT filings.

Open AI's filing is Feb 2023, the timeline for approvals is longer than ever. Every day that passes by, more corporations file similar marks and these corps will submit many oppositions to the Trademark Office.

Genericness is a key element to trademark approval and maintenance. A TM can be too generic for protection, or become too generic to maintain prior protection.

I'm betting by the time ChatGPT mark reaches opposition, it'll be too generic to receive anything but the narrowest protection related to OpenAI.

•••
At the same time it is simply acknowledging reality that "GPT" is only popular in the AI field because of OpenAI's usage. It is not some term like "AI" that has generations of usage.
Here's some history.

FpbJ7b0aYAEBRdp

•••
That's fine.

I think they have a strong claim to the term personally.

Brad

OpenAI certainly has a strong claim.

This is a great case for domainers to study and follow.
Already OpenAI has filed a UDRP in March, so we can expect some decision on that filing by July.

I'd expect no matter the outcome in the UDRP case, the loser will file and appeal to the Courts - as they should.

Very interesting to observe this GPT trend.

•••
OpenAI certainly has a strong claim.

This is a great case for domainers to study and follow.
Already OpenAI has filed a UDRP in March, so we can expect some decision on that filing by July.

I'd expect no matter the outcome in the UDRP case, the loser will file and appeal to the Courts - as they should.

Very interesting to observe this GPT trend.
Yeah, their usage goes back to 2018.

First used in commerce date matters more than their TM registration IMO.

They have had multiple generations, the common link being every version used the "GPT" term.

The problem at this point is OpenAI has not made it clear what their view on the "GPT" term is.
The recent C&D only leads to more uncertainty.

Brad

•••
Ok, I asked ChatGPT itself:

In general, a company cannot send a cease and desist letter for trademark infringement if they do not actually have a registered trademark or any other legal basis for the claim. To send a cease and desist letter, the company must have a valid legal basis for the claim of infringement.
A cease and desist letter is a legal document that demands an individual or entity to stop a particular activity that is allegedly violating the sender's legal rights. The sender typically must have a valid legal basis for the claim, such as owning a registered trademark, copyright, or patent, or having a contractual relationship with the recipient.
If a company sends a cease and desist letter without actually having a registered trademark, the recipient may be able to challenge the validity of the claim and seek legal action against the sender for making false or misleading claims. Therefore, it is generally advisable for companies to consult with a lawyer before sending a cease and desist letter to ensure that they have a valid legal basis for their claim.

•••
Yeah, their usage goes back to 2018.

First used in commerce date matters more than their TM registration IMO.

They have had multiple generations, the common link being every version used the "GPT" term.

The problem at this point is OpenAI has not made it clear what their view on the "GPT" term is.
The recent C&D only leads to more uncertainty.

Brad

A common theme I noticed in similar IP cases is the matter of distinctiveness of said mark in commerce.

The 2018 usage date is critical, its a marker of time for judges but when did GPT become distinctive? Is it actually distinctive?

Did its distinctiveness proceed its generic usage by others in 2022-2023? Or is it only distinctive within a narrow window related to ChatGPT?

These will be some questions posed to panelists and judges.

My bet, Open AI will receive some narrow supplemental protection against newcomers trying to register a term like RedChatGPT, ChatAiGPT, etc in the same class. But term+GPT users have a strong case of GPT is too generic for principal/exclusive protection.

I really look forward to the outcome of the Chatgpt.com UDRP, whoever regged it could see a huge lottery ticket payday or the administrative fleecing of a $M+ domain.

•••
Ok so I asked ChatGPT this:

Can the "GPT" part of chatgpt be registered as a trademark by openai?

It's possible for OpenAI to register "GPT" as a trademark, but the decision ultimately rests with the relevant trademark office.
In general, trademark offices consider several factors when deciding whether to grant a trademark, including the distinctiveness of the mark, whether the mark is likely to cause confusion with existing marks, and whether the mark is being used in commerce.
The distinctiveness of the mark is a key factor in determining whether it is eligible for trademark protection. A mark that is highly descriptive or generic is less likely to be granted trademark protection because it does not sufficiently distinguish the goods or services from those of others in the marketplace. On the other hand, a mark that is highly distinctive and has no clear meaning in the context of the goods or services being offered is more likely to be granted trademark protection.
In the case of "GPT," it could be argued that the mark is at least somewhat descriptive because it refers to a specific type of language model developed by OpenAI. However, the mark could also be considered distinctive because it is not a common acronym or abbreviation in the context of natural language processing. Ultimately, it would depend on the specific circumstances of the case and the opinion of the relevant trademark office.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back