NameSilo

question Have any of you made any significant sales via outbound?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

peace800

Established Member
Impact
Hi

Whilst inbound direct offers are good and puts one in a position of power have any of you made significant sales in your domain careers via outbound emails to companies?

When I'm saying significant I'm talking about sales over $10,000 etc. per domain. You don't have to name the domain name(s) that you sold in your answers.

I ask this as I'm wondering if it's worth giving outbound emailing a shot.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For me such emailing doesn't work at all...
I think, it works (sometimes) only for .com and major ccTLDs like .de/.co.uk etc.

•••
For 5/6-figure sales you should call them by phone... and speak with their marketing director (at least)...
Forget about email.

•••
What do you mean by outbound?
email, phone and surface mail are all a bit spammy.
I liked the idea of attracting interest by putting offers into a travel company's hosting stats. For example -
Suppose you wanted to sell the name BookHols.com , then you access their site using the sub-domain
Buy-This-Domain.BookHols.com
Make sure you have a for sale landing page onthe domain and the sub-domain.

•••
I made both 5 and 6 figures sales on single names by doing outbound. Primarily via phone.

But you cant expect 5 and 6 figures on any old name.. These were names that warranted that sort of price.

•••
What do you mean by outbound?
email, phone and surface mail are all a bit spammy.
I liked the idea of attracting interest by putting offers into a travel company's hosting stats. For example -
Suppose you wanted to sell the name BookHols.com , then you access their site using the sub-domain
Buy-This-Domain.BookHols.com
Make sure you have a for sale landing page onthe domain and the sub-domain.

Wow, that is genius! Can you share how well it works? Sales as a result? Thanks.

•••
Is it a secret promo or what?

•••
In the last 12 months I've sent ~ 1000 emails to customers (carefully selected) in order to sell my domains.
I've NEVER receive a reply, Not even: "Don't spam us!" or "Thanks" or "Not interested".
1000 emails = 0 replies (REPLIES, not sales).

•••
I have consistently done outbound with names that plainly have an end user. I keep it short and to the point. I have received one reply. I have gotten inbound inquiries on names I saw no obvious end user. This has led me to feel inbound is the way to go but there is nothing wrong with trying.

One suggestion find an email or point of contact that is not the Whois listed info and personalize it. A good name will sell itself.

I receive emails every day from other domainers with every possible variant of one of my names.There is always that possibility when using Whois contact you are contacting a fellow domainer who wants to sell and not buy.

•••
To me, it seems like a lot of hard work to get your site reported as a spam site.However, others seem to think that it is a great way to sell names.

•••
For me, yes it has been worth it. We don't send that many, and only send outbound emails once I have done my research, i have a solid idea of who the contact is, and I make the email as specific as possible. They work if you get it right but it's so easy to get wrong.

We sent 4 outbound emails out last week - 4 isn't many but they were what I call 'qualified' leads. 1 came back with no interest (from the CEO of a large well known fitness brand), the other is currently pending a sale of mid $$$. Not a bad result considering.

•••
Yes worked for me most of the time and the reason is i register only domains which has more oppurtunities :)

•••
Its the only way its ever worked for me, most of my sales are from outbound emails. You have to be proactive to sell domains, you cant just sit back and wait for buyers to come to you, that is the single biggest mistake domainers make, especially new domainers....unless you have a list of premium names which 99.9% of people dont, you wont end up being successful in domaining by listing all your names ta the marketplace and then waiting for a buyer, it just doesn't work like that

•••
Its the only way its ever worked for me, most of my sales are from outbound emails. You have to be proactive to sell domains, you cant just sit back and wait for buyers to come to you, that is the single biggest mistake domainers make, especially new domainers....unless you have a list of premium names which 99.9% of people dont, you wont end up being successful in domaining by listing all your names ta the marketplace and then waiting for a buyer, it just doesn't work like that
would you mind sharing your template when sending out email outbound? i'm trying to do outbound through email also. i'm just keeping it 20 emails per day as not to have my email tagged as spam. and any tips on how to "stalk" who is the correct person to address the email to?

•••
•••
I receive a few inbound inquiries weekly... and without any marketplaces.

•••
I receive a few inbound inquiries weekly... and without any marketplaces.
can you list an example of your portfolio? for learning purposes, of course.

•••
~2.8K domains as of today...
~55% of them are .PRO

Last edited:
•••
If you have valid end users you should try. It doesn’t hurt. Just expect a small percentage to even reply.

•••
In the last 12 months I've sent ~ 1000 emails to customers (carefully selected) in order to sell my domains.
I've NEVER receive a reply, Not even: "Don't spam us!" or "Thanks" or "Not interested".
1000 emails = 0 replies (REPLIES, not sales).
What type of email addresse do you use? Domain/gmail etc
Have you sent any emails from this addy to another addresse of yours to see if it goes to spam
0/1000
There must be a reason why

•••
•••
For me such emailing doesn't work at all...
I think, it works (sometimes) only for .com and major ccTLDs like .de/.co.uk etc.
Overall, I sent up to 5K emails... from my own domain with all SPF and DKIM records...
And just 2 of them were answered... 1/2 was on Sedo auction (so I got $199 bidder to meet reserve).
And that's all. So I have stopped this waste of my time completely... a few years ago.

Last edited:
•••
I had a domain that I contacted the foreign celebrity whose name was the domain. Spoke to celebrity’s agent. She said that the celebrity wasn’t interested but asked the price. I tossed low/mid five figures out there. She said celebrity was happy with current domain that already owned, but wished me luck. I went ahead and made the BIN low/mid five figures at Afternic anyway, and about a month later it sold. I still don’t know who bought it as the nameservers haven’t even changed yet my PPC parking ads are still on it lol. But the buyer’s money is in my bank.

And now someone wants a similar domain name I have - anonymous negotiation. It’s all a mystery not sure what happened or is going on but I guess more will be revealed someday.

Anyway as far as outbound I find that getting someone on the horn, or via chat (I’m an expert at finding their online chat presence) is the way to go if the emails get no response.

Last edited:
•••
Domaining is no different from any other sales related business. You have to grind it out every day and use ABC method. You eat what you kill. In this case, I do send out emails daily and have received responses back which have resulted in sales. I use Hunter.io to find emails and Streak to follow up when people view my email. But the challenge is always finding the decision maker in the business.

Any ideas on how to find them?

•••
Domaining is no different from any other sales related business. You have to grind it out every day and use ABC method. You eat what you kill. In this case, I do send out emails daily and have received responses back which have resulted in sales. I use Hunter.io to find emails and Streak to follow up when people view my email. But the challenge is always finding the decision maker in the business.

Any ideas on how to find them?

Google is your friend. Just do a search for company name + CEO or + marketing director. CrunchBase can be pretty handy for this as well (to see company size, funding, and founders/directors).

For smaller companies, you want to go right to the CEO. For medium to large companies, I typically contact someone in marketing (VP, director, or manager).

Use a site like MailTester to test email addresses. Typical formats are (for a name like John Smith): jsmith@company; john.smith@company; smith@company; john@company.

Most of my sales have come from outbound, with prices getting a bit higher as my name quality has improved. Absolutely the keys are:
  • Find an appropriate contact
  • Personalize the email
  • Keep it short
  • Make sure your name is relevant and has value to the company. Google is your friend in determining this as well.
  • Follow up, even if you don't get an initial response.
I haven't personally had much luck with phone calls, even though I'm quite comfortable talking. I believe that was likely a name quality issue, but I also feel like a bit of a sleaze when making the calls. I have a FirstnameLastname domain that I just acquired... may try making some calls with that one.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back