Domain Empire

Hotmail new mail alert

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
i always have trouble checking my email, cause i just plain forget. i want to make a script that detects whether or not you have new mail, and if you do, to change the color of the background on my computer (it is an html file)

i think the easy way to do this would be to find the part of the source code that displays the number of new mail items and get it to see if there is anything besides a 0 there. anyone have any ideas on how to go about this, im not good with php

thx

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you would need connection details to the mail server first

•••
what type of details? its just a plain reg. hotmail account

•••
well the mail server connection ip or domiain eg

mail.hotmail.com or it could be mail.hotmail.msn.google.crap.com or it could be 23.152151.21516

then you may need a "admin" username and password to connect to the mail server since hotmail is just web based (doubt it tho)

but then if you didnt manage to pull it off i think hotmail (microsofot) would be on your case since your using hotmail but not the way it was intended

•••
i was thinking something on the lines of writing the source to a txt file, then reading of a certain line (which has the code for # of new mail items) and if it says anything besides 0, then it is triggered

edit: im not trying to login as an admin, but i might just have to make it login as me tho

think of this as the "youve go mail" thing, just instead of speaking, it changes the bg color on my comp

•••
even so you cant rip the sorce the way they use it (the server side stuff) doesnt get printed in html pages thus meaning you cant get the connection details onto the server

•••
me = confused
it seems like to much trouble anyways, thx tho

•••
Actually I have seen this done without any server side code. It was done using VBScript and some ActiveX Scripting or something like that. It didn't change the background color of a page, but it did show how many new and how many total hotmail emails you had on a web page. You had to be logged into msn in order for it to work though. So I don't know if it's still possible, but it once was, and if you knew VBScript it probably wouldn't be hard to code it to say if new emails then set the bgcolor to your choice.

I can't seem to find the code anywhere though. But why not just use the built in msn alert sound?

Also, you may want to check out http://incredimail.com it's pretty nice for alerting you of new emai. :)

<html>
<body>
<OBJECT classid=clsid:B69003B3-C55E-4B48-836C-BC5946FC3B28
codeType=application/x-oleobject id=IMessenger width=0 height=0"></OBJECT>
<a href=VBScript:IMessenger.InstantMessage("[email protected]")>[email protected]</a>
</body>
</html>

Well there's a start for you, it probably won't help much, but as you can see it is possible to interact with msn/hotmail service without any server side code. That should launch msn to chat with the email address that is listed in the code. :D

•••
sounds good, i dont know any of the code for that but ill try the link, thx (i was hoping to do this with php)

edit:
what does that code do that u posted?

•••
All that does is launch msn messenger from clicking a link.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back