IT.COM

How does the name sound

Spaceship
Watch

joshny

Established Member
Impact
I have chosen the following name for my domains, and other things which would be obvious by the name itself, let me know what you think:

The Domainer :gn:

unfortunately , i don't own the dot com extension, but well i don't need it.
I own most of the tld's for it.
Here's the Logo:kickass:

Would love to hear from you all

Attachments

• Finalsmall.png
    Finalsmall.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 111
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I think you need more office dragons for this operation to be successful.

•••
I have chosen the following name for my domains, and other things which would be obvious by the name itself, let me know what you think:

The Domainer :gn:

unfortunately , i don't own the dot com extension, but well i don't need it.
I own most of the tld's for it.
Here's the Logo:kickass:

Would love to hear from you all

Getting all other TLD's, even hundreds of them, might not be the greatest thing to do if you don't have the .com one. There is just too much risk. If they already have a running registered business with it you might be facing copyright infringement issues. And even if you avoid that, the amount of traffic you will be losing is beyond imagination. People are used to .com's and when they're unsure about the extension of the website, they always go with .com first. So even with such a great name as TheDomainer you risk losing many visitors, going straight to the competition (although the .com seem to be parked and redirects to newbiewsite.com).

My advice would be to try and contact the domain owner and work out a deal so you have all the primary and important extensions in the bag ;)

•••
Getting all other TLD's, even hundreds of them, might not be the greatest thing to do if you don't have the .com one. There is just too much risk. If they already have a running registered business with it you might be facing copyright infringement issues. And even if you avoid that, the amount of traffic you will be losing is beyond imagination. People are used to .com's and when they're unsure about the extension of the website, they always go with .com first. So even with such a great name as TheDomainer you risk losing many visitors, going straight to the competition (although the .com seem to be parked and redirects to newbiewsite.com).

My advice would be to try and contact the domain owner and work out a deal so you have all the primary and important extensions in the bag ;)

I know the importance of a dot com domain and believe me i have tried contacting the owner of the domain as well, apparently no one responds.
As for copyright or TM or other infringements are involved , there is no company with a same name or TM
There are these :
Hybrid Domainer
Domainersmagazine
And
Modern Domainer (the only one with a TM) but now it is a dead TM.
Also the dot com , as you said is parked and does not lead to any existing business.
There was this company called "Domainer Inc."
it provides OPENapps that offers customizable applications for Websites. It allows users to install, customize, and publish various applications that include Dropbox, Instagram, Kickstarter, Twitter, Alibaba, Google Finance, POF, Linkedin, and Wikipedia. The company was founded in 2008 and is based in Toronto, Canada.
But it has closed down or renamed itself. and the services are entirely different so i think i am safe enough
Now my question is which domain extension should i use
dot net
dot co
dot us
dot in
Help much appreciated

•••
Definitely the .net.
Here's why:
Dot co is really hard to type without adding the m (by force of habit).
Then people are wondering why your site won't load.
Dot us is still a little "cheap" though still better than dot biz.
Dot in is mostly popular with companies based in India.

Last edited:
•••
So i am thinking of making two separate websites, one on .in and one on .net
the in one specifically for India.
The net would be the main one, obviously.
the other extensions, like co (etc) , i would simple redirect to the .net
how does that sound?

•••
Sounds like a plan to me.
Do it.

•••
It's still in development ,Need to update the Team,Gallery and Portfolio section.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
•••
•••
I agree with using the .net also. It's the next best gTLD to the .com. Better than anything else unless you were focused on a country, then you'd use the ccTLD. You shouldn't really use a ccTLD if you want a global presence.

•••
And how about the content on those websites? Will it be different for each of them? I'm asking, because I'm going to do a similar thing: use different domains for different language versions. What if my websites will have similar content? Will Google see it as duplicate content?

•••
Yes. Google has eyes everywhere.

•••
It's a good name it terms of it's catchiness and it's straight forward, but you'll struggle SEO-wise because it's so generic.

•••
but you'll struggle SEO-wise because it's so generic.

Why do you feel that a generic domain name would cause problems for SEO?

•••
I would like the answer to that one also.
So a generic name can't be done with SEO?

•••
I think he means overall target topic "Domains" is so broad vs say Pot Domains (just to grab a topic in the news)

•••
There are broads in domains?
OMG!!!

•••
Two things here. First, I'm not too sure about:
"But it has closed down or renamed itself. and the services are entirely different so i think i am safe enough"
There's lots of business keeping the TM. If they did, means possible trouble for you.

Second, What "TheDomainer" would do. Is it related to the domain?

•••
I think he means overall target topic "Domains" is so broad vs say Pot Domains (just to grab a topic in the news)
That wouldn't have a negative SEO effect...

FYI folks, this thread dates back to December 2013 so the domain to choose is probably a moot point by now. ;)

•••
Why do you feel that a generic domain name would cause problems for SEO?
Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but from what I gathered from the initial question, "The Domainer" was going to be a portfolio-type name for his/her domains.

He would have to work considerably harder on his/her SEO as "the domainer" is a very generic industry term - kinda like a musician going by the name "singer".

•••
He'd have to work on branding, but on SEO? The brand isn't very competitive as a generic.

Let's see how he did: Yep - the thedomainer dot net comes up #1 for The Domainer.

But doesn't appear to be in the top 20 for anything else - Has 48 pages indexed, half of them seem to have "ipsum lorem" for content and the site takes forever to load (if it loads at all - I gave up.) Either the project fell by the wayside or there's work to do for sure, but ranking for the brand name isn't the problem. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back