IT.COM

question Loaded Q: Does Anyone Feel Domainer Guilt?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Charac

Established Member
Impact
While I am massively interested in domains and the community overall, I don't consider myself a domainer per se. More of a developer having domains for sale and dabbling in prospective projects to develop, along the lines of many others.

- Does anyone feel a sense of guilt that sets in when obtaining a new name and then, selling at a big fat margin too quick, for instance?

- Could it depend on the subject matter?

Recently I stumbled across an ai name that when doing some legwork, discovered it was in use as a transposed .ai but otherwise ordered the exact same wording. And it was being used for medical research. Maybe this is a rare case, but I backed away not feeling right.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
While I am massively interested in domains and the community overall, I don't consider myself a domainer per se. More of a developer having domains for sale and dabbling in prospective projects to develop, along the lines of many others.

- Does anyone feel a sense of guilt that sets in when obtaining a new name and then, selling at a big fat margin too quick, for instance?

- Could it depend on the subject matter?

Recently I stumbled across an ai name that when doing some legwork, discovered it was in use as a transposed .ai but otherwise ordered the exact same wording. And it was being used for medical research. Maybe this is a rare case, but I backed away not feeling right.
Any guilt I might feel goes away when I pay the renewal bill. :ROFL:

Brad

•••
Upvote 0
I'm definitely not saying anyone should feel guilt. Just wondering if it happens...

I think too often, domain investing gets confused with squatting. ⚖️

•••
Upvote 0
When you choose to use "digital asset investor" term instead of "domainer", the feeling of awkwardness disappears.

Gaining profit in return for the time/effort spent on investments made by taking risks is simply a business.

•••
Upvote 0
Only possible chance to feel guilt was while a big sales happen....long time no see....pls let me feel guilt..🤔

•••
Upvote 0
Any guilt I might feel goes away when I pay the renewal bill. :ROFL:

Exactly. Domain renewal costs are the great equalizer and not everyone understands that.

You buy a $50 domain and sell it for $5,000 and everyone on Twitter goes mad screaming "Pure Profit!" not understanding that you need to buy 100 of these $50 domains to sell that 1, thereby you just broke even.

Domain math will absolutely bury you if you don't fully grasp how it works.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0

Nope

•••
Upvote 0
When you have no money to renew your domains, no body would feel sorry or guilt towards you .

•••
Upvote 0
I consider there are 2 types of squatters in this industry, good and bad ones, I m the good squatter, because I hand reg domains based on my own ideas, I even don't own any GPT domains but I regret that I let some important ones to pass by, I have missed the NFT and DAO great domains, but no need to feel sorry because I got better domains non related to this niches.
Bad squatters are those who heard of an upcoming idea, project, invention and go hand reg the domains, because he does not own his own ideas, he makes money from others peoples inventions, like the guy with chatgpt,com domain, he vent and reg someone's else idea, there are other examples but will not mention them.
Only those who develop domains as a service/product are not squatters.
So I feel guilt that this industry is full of bad squatters.
Human behavior is such that if you don't occupy a free cave someone else will, so sometimes it's better to be the first.
That is why I sold only 2 domains after 4 years, because I m the good squatter. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Aside from the posts here, I have been pondering if any deeper, hidden emotions may act as an influence on our domain-buying choices.

Talking here, about that stuff buried somewhere within us. That sometimes can cause an unconsciours fear. When considering the fact that success -- can be explosive at any instant.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
hidden emotions may act as an influence on our domain-buying choices

Rule #34:

Don't do business with your emotions.

•••
Upvote 0
Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Rule #34:

Don't do business with your emotions.

The more you resist. The more you may unknowingly tamp down! 😈

Simply trying here to help summon the fear begone. And clear a path more open to success!

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
Simply trying here to help summon the fear begone. And clear a path more open to success!

I usually fail to evaluate the offers well and succumb to my arrogance.

I am open to suggestions for books or training videos on improving professional approach.

•••
Upvote 0
I do think appropriateness enters all our thought from time to time, just the same as it may do with ethical stocks and investments. Would I attempt to back-ride a specific entity. No, and by specific I mean relying on confusion.
Over the last 20 plus years I've occasionally come across domains that just don't feel right. But If your not looking for them then they rarely pop into your domain searches anyway

As already mentioned I've learnt to take the reward for my hard work. My potential buyers go to Sedo put in their search criteria and bingo, there is just the domain that floats their boat, No pondering, no endless searches, no confusion about the way forward. I consider myself a Marketing service.

If they tap the domain purely from same line of thought, then that's just a case of recognition of usability. I can live with that all day long. These days your mostly buying outlaying land plots. If I speculate/invest correctly then all the risk was purely mine, If and when the builders turn-up I expect my reward

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
I don't feel any guilt, because the domain names we are selling are not of a core, of an existential value for a human. Everyone who is buying it is not struggling to put food on a table for his family. It's a business value, and everyone always has a choice - to go for a handreg alternative name if money is not there at the given moment, or for a different tld, and then upgrade later.

•••
Upvote 0
I've never felt guilty, any name I get, somebody else could have gotten it themselves. It's a market with risks, you take them, you succeed, nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes, I've seen people feel guilty about making money. Money is a tool, if you feel guilty about making it, you can simply do some good with it.

•••
Upvote 0
Money is a tool, if you feel guilty about making it, you can simply do some good with it.
...if only everybody thought this.

•••
Upvote 0
Nobody should feel guilt about a markup or making a great profit. Everything we buy is marked up. Thats how business works.

As far as the general question I think very few if any people dealing in domains feels guilt about any aspect of it.

You aren’t guaranteed a sale when you plunk your money down. This industry doesn’t have a high sell through or success rate. Most are just happy for any sale/ return on an investment.

•••
Upvote 0
I think it's business. Why other traders and entrepreneurs do not feel guilt?

•••
Upvote 0
We have a great TV show here in the UK called The Dragons Den, I'm sure most countries have a show of a similar format. Entrepreneurs pitch an existing or planned business concept for investment in return for a percentage of that business.

One of the questions that always arises is 'How much does the product or service cost to supply or buy-in wholesale' the business dragons always perk-up when they hear around 10% yep 10x mark-up for retail. Many of the business are already up and running with an existing customer base. My mind always shifts to , Well disclosing that information isn't in your best interest. But boy do those dragons jump right on in.

Of course you then have . Warehousing, distribution, marketing etc but when your using just-in-time purchasing a lot of those costs aren't that significant

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
I feel guilt over not getting MORE money for a domain sale.

How could I shortchange myself, my family, my hopes and dreams, by letting a domain sell for that cheap!? I feel so guilty about failing myself whenever I do not get a fat, bloated, totally easy end user sale of a domain. What a disappointment I am to myself sometimes!

•••
Upvote 0
Do investors feel bad after the stock they've just bought quadruples in value overnight?

Of course not.

•••
Upvote 0
No guilt because my prices are reasonable, if anything I am saving people from the guy with the GD valuation of $1000 selling the domain for $100,000 :xf.cool: I am basically a domain superhero :xf.laugh:

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back