Dynadot

How much should I charge for XML programming?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
It'll take me about 2-3 weeks to complete (programming, discussions, testing, waiting for client replies, etc.). But I will state a turnaround time of about 1 month.

I'm running a small business so I am competing with large companies. My price has to be competitive. But I don't really know how much I should charge. Would $500-$800 be reasonable for 1 month of XML programming (I cannot charge per hour)? I'll be doing this part-time because I have other clients. I also feel it's a relatively easy task, but requires a lot of precaution (for security reasons).

I ought to mention that this is a local client, not an online client. So I won't have to worry about online competition, esp. prices on freelancer(dot)com or any similar sites where programmers charge $50 for 1 months' work. :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
$500-$800 looks reasonable to me.

•••
It'll take me about 2-3 weeks to complete (programming, discussions, testing, waiting for client replies, etc.). But I will state a turnaround time of about 1 month.

I'm running a small business so I am competing with large companies. My price has to be competitive. But I don't really know how much I should charge. Would $500-$800 be reasonable for 1 month of XML programming (I cannot charge per hour)? I'll be doing this part-time because I have other clients. I also feel it's a relatively easy task, but requires a lot of precaution (for security reasons).

I ought to mention that this is a local client, not an online client. So I won't have to worry about online competition, esp. prices on freelancer(dot)com or any similar sites where programmers charge $50 for 1 months' work. :D

This sounds really low in my opinion. Unless your part time work is less than 10 hours a week.

•••
Since this is a local client and you would be working part time you should look at the rates for your area for full time and partime workers and use that. The client will not expect anything more or anything less if you did it that way since they themselves will already know the standard rates of the town / area / country. You can also seek to give the client a discount especially since you will be doing it part time for them and since they would not know about the other sites you mentioned. This will make them feel more appreciative and may lead to repeat business and further LOCAL recommendations of the same nature!

•••
I'm just curious, what exactly does XML programming involve? I always thought XML was just a markup language, not an actual programming language.

•••
I'm just curious, what exactly does XML programming involve? I always thought XML was just a markup language, not an actual programming language.

I think its more used for RSS feeds and stuff like that. Transmission of data really

•••
Yes, it does not actually "do" anything. It is handy for small databases and crap though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back