Domain Empire

How much time do you spend daily, sourcing domains?

Spaceship
Watch

How much time do you spend daily, sourcing domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 30 minutes or less

votes
    21.4%
  • Less than 1 hour

votes
    7.1%
  • 1-2 hours

votes
    23.8%
  • 3-5 hours

votes
    26.2%
  • 6-8 hours

votes
    7.1%
  • ... more than 8 hours?

votes
    14.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

twiki

Top Member
Impact
It doesn't matter whether they are regs, auctions, or dropcatch - how much work time you throw at getting them.

I used to spend several hours in the past, but not anymore. Now I'm at less than 1 hour after optimizing my tools.

The most time I spend in the niche is reading various things and browsing NP (including posting), which I don't qualify as work, but as enjoyment.

How about you? How intense is your sourcing work?

Edit: I'm just curious.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I dont think I can accurately measure it. What I know is I only have four windows opened on my browser and they are

1) My email to check for inbound or enquiries
2) Namepros
3) Godaddy auction
4) Expireddomains.net

And they are always opened 24/7 and I am always with my phone. I have no work presently so that explains why I am on domaining 247

•••
None anymore. Looking forward to 2020 and new horizons. Whoop whoop 👍

•••
•••
I suppose that depends on how you define "sourcing domains"? lol

Just going through the the usual portions of the 50,000 long master list of expiring domains I probably have my process down to around a couple of hours. But then you have the time-gobbling "google research rabbit hole" .. where a name you see could have value depending on what you find on Google.

Basically in going down the master list you hit something like BeefHotDog.com .. so you go to Google to look up if "Beef HotDog" is a real thing or not .. then next thing you know it's an hour later and somehow you're at some random site looking at funny Dachshund videos! So your 2 hours all of a sudden becomes 3+ hours. Does that count? lol

It's funny .. while the average is about 50k expired names at expired auction at GoDaddy each day, there are days with almost 60k domains .. and days with 40k .. at this point in my life with everything going on in my personal life outside domains it sometimes feels like winning the lottery when I get days with 40k domains!

For me there's also extra time for technically setting things up for the lists at Namecult. That's probably about an extra hour a day.

But then you actually have to physically be available during the auction period as well. It's so frustrating GoDaddy has their auctions spread over 5.5 hours! I think if they condensed it down to 3 hours that more people would stay for the whole thing .. now it's just too long it's silly.

So in the end the answer is:
~2/3 hours .. or also ..
~2/3+1+5.5+RabbitHoles = ~10++ hours .. lol

•••
I spend way more time checking if redemption period is over on domains that have expired over sourcing new domains.

Last edited:
•••
I set aside 1 - 2 hour a day, this is all I am allowed by my better half! I am off work for 3 weeks now so it might/will go up during this period :xf.wink:

•••
•••
Something to consider. If you spend 2 hrs a day, you must have minimum gross sales of a least $10,000 a year, just to pay yourself average U.S. minimum wage.

Last edited:
•••
•••
For me it varies and also depends on what one counts. I spend a fair amount of time on some potential domains considering similar names for sale, potential uses, similar sales,etc. Should that count? I don't actually spend much time going through expired compilations. I spend a lot if time on NameBio and Dofo but only a bit is directly with an acquisition.
Bob

•••
Of course it varies from 0 to 6. I don't spend the same amount of time every day. Sometimes I take a day off, sometimes I've got too many other things to do. But on average, I'd guess it's about 2hrs a day. Some of which is seeking out other venues where I can perceive a bargain can be had.

•••
I'm new in this industry, so currently I spent a lot to look for hand reg only

•••
To be honest it you could spend hours per day sourcing domains, but it really depends on how much money you have to spend. I can imagine people have more names on their watchlist than dollars.

Ever since Huge Domains started costing $1xx for any domains on their radar domainers have much less dollars to spend, and the fact the API connections can snipe closeouts, slim picking there, also given the fact dropcatch grabs most of the better domains, and holds public auctions for all as long as their are 2 bids, no freebies there either. You can say stuff still gets thru, but majority of that is lesser quality, hence lesser sell thru.

So really you can spend 30 mins, or 4 hours per day, it really depends on how big your bankroll is at the end of the day. In this industry on a given day, it is very easy to blow thru $5K in a day, at 1-2 auction venues as you have some big players, and some newbies all hitting hard for some of those better, or average names.

•••
I stop spending time searching for domains a long time ago. I only register when something catches my attention.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back