Domain Empire

question How much you lost by investing in Chips Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys
Many of us invested in Chips domains such as: 5L.com, 4L.org, 4L.info, 3L.biz, 3L.co, 6N.com, NNLL.com ..... etc.
So with No shame, How much you lost in that investment?, and how many domains you will drop?
About myself $9k-$10k., and 400 domains
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know it was a hype. I posted to warn people but not too many listen.
I sold all mine during the hype and made very nice profit.

•••
p184082_b_v8_aa.jpg

•••
Made 50k+ from the Chinese market last year. Moved out from my parents' house and moved into a new apartment, got married, bought a nice piece of land, met a lot of people and made a lot of friends.

It was fun while it lasted and it totally changed my life forever.

•••
No chips, no drops and no loss !

•••
•••
I lost around $4k from chips. Brought 4l.com at around $60 each and sold those for around $250 each. Lost majority of the profit and some more by investing on 5l.com

Feeling bad.My GF will kill me.O_o

•••
I don't buy into anything that doesn't make sense to me, meaning if the domain doesn't sound right to me for use as a brand, then i won't buy it. I don't care if china likes it or Buckingham Palace.

•••
I go big or I don't go-)) So with that being said, I bought 4,609 6n.com last year, (all hand reg) sold around 1,000 of them and going to renew the remaining 3,609 if I can get a special transfer rate for around $5 or so that companies sometimes offer. I could of turned a 40K investment into a $400K investment within 3 months, but really I thought the market would hold it's own the whole year of 2016 before renewal time. Can't control past, only looking ahead now.

Of those 3,609 most have "0 and or "4", but all have patterns double repeating or 2 double repeating, like a "44 22". If I drop these they will all get backordered at $49+. If they stop get backorderd and they become available to hand reg than I am "F*cked. If not, I like my decision to renew all. My gut is telling me the 6n market 1st quarter of 2017 is going pick up, so I will renew.

I been in this industry since 1998, do this full time, not always right, but I made a good living being more right than wrong, so I will tell you guys in 1 year from now how I did:))

There is no expert to listen to, be your own expert, be your own leader.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
•••
Hi

luckily or not, i did not invest in any of these > 5L.com, 4L.org, 4L.info, 3L.biz, 3L.co, 6N.com, NNLL.com

temptation was there though

imo....

•••
Strictly speaking opportunity cost, I lost thousands.

As I knew it was hype as @johnn previously mentioned, I sold most in the $300-450 region and non-chip at 80-150, only to find out that they'd reach $2600 and $300 respectfully months later.

I'm satisfied with my ROI on $15 closeout names... but, I missed out on buying a new car selling early. I can say that much.

Does that count? :-P

•••
I lost about $9k investing in 4L.com / org / co / biz chips as well as 5L.com.

You live and you learn.

•••
No chips, no profit, no loss and no problems.... thanks to my patience :)

•••
I bought ~50 4L coms during the great 4L.com close out of 2008(?) and held them. About 10 turned out to be ChiPs. I sold most of those and some non-chip 4Ls in the past year or so. So I'm pretty happy. I "reinvested" about $40 in some mediocre 6N and a few 4N in some lame tlds.

I'm going to eventually sell off all my "speculative" domains and go back to being a "hobby" domainer with only domains that I think are funny or otherwise please me.

•••
You only lose if you sell during a down market. I held llll.com for 3 years no offers, than they all came and sold all but 1 in 2015. Would of lost if I sold prior to 2015. Took that money bought 6n, still at a loss, but why sell during a falling knife, going to renew. Chinese are very good at manipulating the market, they let fools sell, than they create another pump, seen this over and over. However, stick .com's all that .ws shit, xyz.shit, and other BS extensions cut your losses, hold and renew .com's

•••
OP don't worry you are not alone.

I made money overall in the chinese market despite entering late 2015 but reinvested a lot of my ROI into 5l.com chips and 6n.coms at or near the peak. Put around $10k into 5l's and losing it all. So although I made overall ROI no one likes to lose $10k from reinvesting.

Big lesson learnt and believe me many other investors are in a similar boat and some far worse off than losing $10k but they can't admit it which I can understand.

•••
Hello guys
Many of us invested in Chips domains such as: 5L.com, 4L.org, 4L.info, 3L.biz, 3L.co, 6N.com, NNLL.com ..... etc.
So with No shame, How much you lost in that investment?, and how many domains you will drop?
About myself $9k-$10k., and 400 domains
Thanks

Its not a question of winning or loosing.You should be ready to hold your domains if you plan to do well in this business.For this obviously you should have premium domain names in your portfolio.Since only then you've a good opportunity to sell your domain to end user at the right price.Investing in crap can only bring you losses.If you're unable to bear the renewal costs,you shouldn't think of getting in this business.You need proper financial planning if you want to make profits out of this business.

•••
Chips was good untill people went into investing 7N, 8N, 5L

Total Domains
7N - 10,000,000 Domains
8N - 100,000,000 Domains
5L - 11,881,376 Domains

Chips
7N - 2,097,152 Domains
8N - 16,777,216 Domains
5L - 3,200,000 Domains

Where are we going to find buyers for that? People should have asked the question for themselves before investing. But its too late now.

Some people even promoted this Chips bubble just to make profit for them self by disposing the reg fee domains for 3x - 5x profit at peak, They were counting for buyouts one after the other :(

•••
It seems that I am the only one who invested in Chips Domains.B-).

•••
Have lost about $10K invested in 5L.COM Chips

Last edited:
•••
chips are done already? i thought it would last another year or two but yeah i totally avoided it personally.

•••
I lost around $4k from chips. Brought 4l.com at around $60 each and sold those for around $250 each. Lost majority of the profit and some more by investing on 5l.com

Feeling bad.My GF will kill me.O_o
I am sorry Rocky. And I believe I bought them all from you when you put them up for auction and they sold for a very low price. Now I am trying to sell some of them... Oh well..;(

•••
Can we see an example of a developed 5L chip please
I cannot show you the sites but I developed two of the names into local chatting sites (with Adsense) and others were used in Instagram to redirect to CPA offers. I already had some popular sites so SEO was not problem.

•••
the PQKL and QZWX .coms are worth $1200 or more because they mean a lot to Chinese!

•••
It seems that I am the only one who invested in Chips Domains.B-).

I am sure there are a lot more. Some just havent relized that they have lost the money. A little slow...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back