IT.COM

How to open backorder service?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

envos

Established Member
Impact
Hi to all community, I'm new here but from few days I'm looking to open a Backorder service for my private use. I need to backorder .it domains for myself but I don't know how to do it.

I need to know technical problems and all about the speed that can help me to take before all others expiring domains.

I'm not a registrar but I think can be great go to an italian registrar and ask for Partnership in this kind of business.

Hope you can help me with this technical issues.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are already several dropcatchers for .it.
It would be more practical for you to use those that already exist.

Now if you want to find out how to become a registrar for .it:
http://www.nic.it/registrars/diventare-registrar-1
But you'll need some technical skills, or hire someone who knows DNS/EPP stuff.

•••
Thanks for your answer Sdsinc.

The problem is that there is only one working backorder source and sometimes they will retain for themselves some premium domains or they put it into unlimited $$ auctions.

I need a personal service to grab premium domains to but without becoming registrar (takes months of curses etc). So, what are the technical problems? I mean how have to be fast my requests? 30/sec or 60/sec to have 99% to grab every domain?

I only want to discuss of technical problems.

Thanks.

•••
Only one working backorder source ? There must be more than that :)
Look at which registrars are catching the drops.

I am not too familiar with .it backorders but as far as I know the names are released at 09:00 and 16:00.
So what the registrar has to do is to send registration requests at the right moment (rapid fire mode), but the number of request may be capped by the registry. It usually is a matter of millisecond, so in practice another registrar may hit the winning slot.
Some registries like Nominet (.uk) will even slap you with a delay penalty if you exceed your quota. Generally speaking, I don't think concurrent requests are allowed. The ongoing request must be consumed before you are allowed to send another one, and I said, caps may apply in order to keep it fair for everyone, but also to avoid overloading the registry :)
Bottom line: the more registrars you use, the more you increase chances.

One thing I have learned is that you can indeed approach registrars, and they might be able to secure the domains for you, even if they do not advertise dropcatching services to the public.

Another thing: do you still have to send the LAR by fax ? I know that in the past some dropcatchers were sending automated fax on your behalf, and that the order in which faxes were received would determine who gets the domain. Not sure if that still applies.

•••
First, thanks for your useful answer. Second, nothing LAR by fax or similar things :)
I'm asking a partnership with few registrars here in Italy and they're speaking about cron job to be done to schedulate the domain catch but most of this registrants has an average of 10 to 40 ms Ping, is this bad metric to catch domains?

If you've other advices on how to setup my private project I will appreciate Sdsinc.

Really thanks for your help

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back