IT.COM

domains How Yelp got it's domain name (for $5,000)

Spaceship
Watch

Doron Vermaat

Co-founder, EftyTop Member
Efty.com
Impact
I love learning about how (start-up) companies got their name and matching domain name. As a domain name investor it helps me to better understand the naming and decision process most entrepreneurs go through at one point when they need to come up with a great name for their business idea. Very often the stories behind how a company got it’s name and the matching domain name are very interesting, funny or even exciting which made me decide they will make for a cool returning topic to write about in 2015 – so here’s the first in a series of posts about how start-up companies got their (domain) name: Yelp.com

http://dngeek.com/2015/01/06/how-yelp-got-its-domain-name/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Also enjoyed your top brandables sales post...its exciting to see 5 letter or 6 letter brandables going for such high amounts nowadays! You may have to sit on a brandable for awhile but its worth it in the end.

•••
Also enjoyed your top brandables sales post...its exciting to see 5 letter or 6 letter brandables going for such high amounts nowadays! You may have to sit on a brandable for awhile but its worth it in the end.

Absolutely, patience is key. Just sold one myself today for several thousand - picked up in 2014 for under $150

What i personally like about brandables is that your domain could be the new Yelp, twitter or Spotify one day!

•••
Yeah..or PayPal like you mentioned in your post! My first ever sale was a brandable about 7 years ago on sedo for $700...only cost me three bucks off ebay! Sold it on Sedo...actually forgot I had it on there til i get an email saying i had an offer...cool stuff. Did you sell yours off sedo too? Or another parking or auction service?

•••
Yeah..or PayPal like you mentioned in your post! My first ever sale was a brandable about 7 years ago on sedo for $700...only cost me three bucks off ebay! Sold it on Sedo...actually forgot I had it on there til i get an email saying i had an offer...cool stuff. Did you sell yours off sedo too? Or another parking or auction service?

Never had much luck with Sedo to be honest. I've sold via Afternic, brandable marketplaces such as Brandroot and Brandbucket and quite a few from inquiries directly from parking or custom landing pages.

•••
nice post thanx for sharing

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back