IT.COM

I got 30 min late and missed this hand reg name!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I was very interested in hand-registering this domain name PIVOTIFY.com which I thought would make a great brandable.
Researched it and decided that I'll buy it the next day as it was available for registration.
The next day, when I tried registering this domain name, I found that it is already registered, 10 minutes earlier than the time I was trying to register.

Well, here is the take away:

Never postpone a domain registration.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I feel your pain, I have a list of about 3,000 domains I'm waiting to register and I have a loss ratio of about 60%. It's time wasted for sure.

•••
congrats on not wasting 9 bucks

•••
I see your pains sorry man, it happened my case which I have a list of brandables I wanted to reg few months later all on the list gone, by then I thought all my domaining career has come to an end.

•••
I once wanted to reg 'blxck.com' - nice brandable (imo) and chip at the same time - with an $1 coupon ... I was at the end of the check out and something prevented me from clicking that finish button; something really unnecessary which took my full attention and made me saying 'you can also do it tomorrow' ...

Then next I was checking and the domain was taken -- couldn't describe how pissed I was at that moment, even more when I realised I already had prepared a contact list with potential buyers before.

However, I just wanted to calm down then a bit by registering something similiar like blqck.com (normally not that type I was searching for, but as said, I just wanted to calm down ..), but that also was taken recently previously.

When something like suqar.com could get 6 grands, how much I was able to get through the reg year by mailing up my whole contact list? Maybe twice of that example name, maybe only 10% of it, maybe even nothing ... I will never know it :guilty: Nevertheless, that's domain business, the early bird catches the worm.

•••
I don't see the value, even as a brandible. Too much of a mouthful. Like the other posted said, you saved $9.

•••
I think you saved yourself some money ;)

•••
Using online services to check the availability of the domain, You always run the risk that this could someone use. In Russia, for example, such stories very often. So use only the primary whois servers (different for different TLDs) manually, for example from the Linux console or via desktop software.

•••
Well there is a trend for 'IFY' suffixed words to make brandables, and some work very well.

Sticking with single syllable words is often preferred, otherwise the message you want to get across through your brand name could be lost in translation (so to speak).

•••
I planned to use it for development purpose and launch a business on this one. Anyways, I will probably go with another brandable name. I personally liked this one very much.

•••
•••
Whats the problem with this name.
Please advice.
Confusing from the get go I think. If you maintain the pronounciation of the word pivot as "pivit" than the "ify" part is just awkward. Try saying it, it comes out Pivit-ify. You have to change the accent to a hard Pi-vitify to prevent the awkard pivit-ify. If the "o" is said as in "ohh" then it's softer. Pi-vohhtify. But 99% of people will start reading it Pivot. And then you hit the "ify" part and it's like wtf.

•••
Tip: Keep an eye out for it dropping next year. Some will reg a name that was 'outted' as a gamble that domain is very important to you. But after a year of no contact they drop the name.

Also dont create a NP thread like this if you want to use the above technique lol

•••
Reminded me of this:

Flint then invents a machine that transforms water into food, called the "Flint Lockwood Diatonic Super Mutating Dynamic Food Replicator" (FLDSMDFR)

•••
When you want to buy a name, you buy. Do not hesitate.
When people tell you not to buy a name, you buy. Do not hesitate.
Why? Because there is always somebody in this world who finds your name great, and who shares the same vision with you. He/she will will buy it off for you for $xxx~$xxxx. You just have to find that somebody. Never regret.
This is from experience.

•••
I was very interested in hand-registering this domain name PIVOTIFY.com which I thought would make a great brandable.
Researched it and decided that I'll buy it the next day as it was available for registration.
The next day, when I tried registering this domain name, I found that it is already registered, 10 minutes earlier than the time I was trying to register.

Well, here is the take away:

Never postpone a domain registration.
Well, take that money and renew a good name you own. It feels good when you save a great domain name from expiring.

Hopefully, next time you will hit the checkout button at the right moment!

There's still a lot of great names to be registered.

•••
When you want to buy a name, you buy. Do not hesitate.
When people tell you not to buy a name, you buy. Do not hesitate.
Why? Because there is always somebody in this world who finds your name great, and who shares the same vision with you. He/she will will buy it off for you for $xxx~$xxxx. You just have to find that somebody. Never regret.
This is from experience.

I've sold many domains in the 4 figure that I was scared buying\registering.

If you keep thinking about a specific domain, then it's time to get it!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back