IT.COM

Identity on Reg

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If I would like to register domain.
Do I have to give the real first name and lastname or could use whatever name for proctecting from spammer, hijack, etc.
Could I use whatever company name which don't exist for name registration?

For the email and address I think has to be the correct one otherwise when the domain expired without reliased it, and it's gonna be gone for public, isn't it?

Basically what the best strategy to protect identity without buying service like private identity... ??
to decrease spammer, etc?

Thanks,
Joe

:-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can actually fake everything but the email.
You probably want the email so they can contact you for renewals.

For the address I usually put the the street name but not the house number for example. That way if you get in trouble with a name and also scammers saying trademark infrigement so they can get a domain name for free - have to contact you by email and no one can send you junk.

•••
Thanks for the clarification.

joe

•••
Definitely use a real e-mail, but don't use one that you're particularly fond of--you'll eventually get a fair amount of spam.

I use Yahoo's disposable addresses, but most of my domains are for personal use. An address that looks like it's "real" (e.g., [email protected]) may appear more professional.

I opened a PO Box for registering my domains: I get a fair amount of junk mail sent to the imaginary company names I fill in on the contact info.

Good luck,
Mike

•••
I don't think
Originally posted by Flash81

I use Yahoo's disposable addresses, but most of my domains are for personal use. An address that looks like it's "real" (e.g., [email protected]) may appear more professional.

More professional and more secure, I'd be afraid to use a free webmail to manage my domains... I hear many stories about domain stolen because that.

Thanks,
David.

•••
Thanks all for the infos.
But I just think, how about if there is any dispute about domainname I have and my contact info etc not real except email address. Is that gonna be a porblem for me?

•••
All contact info should be real according to the registration agreements and ICANN rules..

I guess you could get into trouble if you fake the info and you end up in a TM case etc..
A lawyer could probably force the name from you pretty easy if you have faked the contact info.
There are other ways to find your identity even if the domain info isn't correct...
But I'm no expert on this, so there are probably more qualified people here who can give you a better answer.

A free webmail is not a good idea, since it can expire, and it's easier to steal domains that way..

•••
For the Yahoo! stuff, I upgraded to the paid service, so I hope (perhaps irrationally) that that offers some degree of security over a free account. It won't expire unless I let it.

Another approach is to use the e-mail forwarding or POP3/IMAP e-mail that most registrars provide with your domain, although POP3 mail is usually an add-on that you get charged for.

You have lots of choices: you'll need to balance your appetite for risk vs. costs vs. ease-of-use, etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back