IT.COM

Idotz.net

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Reviews and information for Idotz.net

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Quick processing & great features.

Idotz's chat support is often unavailable. However, they compensate for this by adding lots of features like Domain Analyzer from the control panel, which loads relatively quickly.

Prices are OK. Other registrars go lower, but Idotz occasionally has sales (like the $30 .tv one going on ATM).

•••
Review

They activate the domains pretty fast and the control panel is really easy to use.

•••
They parked my expiring domains 2 weeks before they expired.

I used them for my off the wall tlds. DONT USE THEM!! I have a .ac domain and 2 weeks before it expired they parked it on there own page. I emailed support, after finally recieving a reply after 2 days, I got a standard form reply that expired domains are parked. When I replied that the name hadnt expired 2 days later I get the reply, Answered in previous email. They have yet to reply to my emails about this.

•••
Register "Hard To Register" Domain Names

After personal account review, I have come to a conclusion that the Registrar is actually Pretty neat considering the easiness to register hard to register names like .VG
Good Pricing on all domain name extensions.

•••
Too risky for me

I had to renew 323 .US domains, so I considered using iDotz.net because they were offering a $4.95 ".US bailout package" (I have to admit the promotion was funny). So I would have saved about $650 by transferring there instead of sticking with my current registrar. But I decided against it.

First of all, they don't even seem to have a bulk transfer form, so you have to paste the domain and auth codes in one at a time. And my experience is that if a company makes even transferring IN hard, transferring out (when I need to) will be a nightmare. Plus it sounds petty, but it swayed my feelings that their own domain name (idotz.net) is so lame. And they don't seem to be ICANN accredited themselves. Instead they use Key-systems' RRPproxy system. But what spooked me the most was a story on DNF (part1 ,part 2 ) about a guy who registered some .info domains there under a "free" promotion. They apparently ended up charging him anyway due some fine print in their promotion, plus they refused to give him the auth codes when he wanted to transfer out and he only got his domains transferred after months of work and intervention by Afilias. This is an old story (2004), but they seem to have the same set up and management. I went as far as creating an account, obtaining the auth codes for the 323 domains, and moving some of them into my idotz cart (one at a time, argh!), but in the end decided to steer clear.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back