Dynadot

If a Flippa auction winner "disappears"?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

Let's say that you sell a domain at a Flippa auction, but the buyer "disappears" afterwards. He/she never logs in again and Flippa finally suspends the person's account.

Will the seller still have to pay the Success Fee to Flippa?

Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think so.

I mean if you haven't completed the sale then you don't have to pay anything but if the transaction has taken place correctly,you have been paid and pushed/transferred the name then you have to pay the fees.

If you are unsure, though, you can contact support or ask @FlippaDomains here on the forum.

•••
Thanks!

Yes, I mean if the auction winner just "disappears", without transferring any money.

•••
Well then I would say you don't have to pay any money as no transaction took place.
To be safe and not sorry I would contact support anyway as you might want to re list it..maybe?

•••
Unfortunately this happens, and sometimes quite often that is really disturbing for any seller at any auction platform. However this is something that can be expected in real life scenario, the buyer usually bid getting emotional with some domain & then finds himself having with no money or not interested any more kind of situation.

Coming to your question, How to Proceed When you find a buyer Disappears after the Domain Auction ends at Flippa, and you Do not Find him anywhere or not replying, or not submitting payment to the system?

You visit the sales completion area after the auction is over, and there you communicate with the buyer, telling him the procedure & helping him out with the submission of payment to the Flippa escrow, domain transfer & then release of payment to you after he receives the domain.

Well, definitely you start with greetings & congrats sort of formal messages to start a communication. If you dont receive a reply, the best thing that people suggest is to call the buyer at the mentioned number on the sales page or email him.

The best mindset is to think positive & talk positive with the buyer or whoever has won the domain at your auction.

If you dont receive a reply for few days, you can open a dispute if you like from the sales completion area.

Mention your case, and they will allow the other party to reply within 72 hours, and then flippa team decides the case on merit. If the reply does not come, you can relist your auction for free and the Flippa success fee will be waived.

This was one simple example of dispute as per your question, but there can be many reasons for it.

However, I will always suggest you to talk positively even when you open the dispute that is officially required when the buyer disappears.

Hope it would help. Thanks for Reading. :)

Last edited:
•••

No, you don't, but you have to file a dispute and win that dispute before the "success fee" is waived

•••
Ok, I think I got it now.

Thank you very much for brilliant answers!

•••
Hello,

Let's say that you sell a domain at a Flippa auction, but the buyer "disappears" afterwards. He/she never logs in again and Flippa finally suspends the person's account.

-- See below for answer.

If you are unsure, though, you can contact support or ask @FlippaDomains here on the forum.

-- For fastest response for non-paying bidder or any other issues with the buyer or the seller, always message [email protected] ATTN. Marketplace Integrity.

Unfortunately this happens, and sometimes quite often that is really disturbing for any seller at any auction platform. However this is something that can be expected in real life scenario, the buyer usually bid getting emotional with some domain & then finds himself having with no money or not interested any more kind of situation.

Coming to your question, How to Proceed When you find a buyer Disappears after the Domain Auction ends at Flippa, and you Do not Find him anywhere or not replying, or not submitting payment to the system?

You visit the sales completion area after the auction is over, and there you communicate with the buyer, telling him the procedure & helping him out with the submission of payment to the Flippa escrow, domain transfer & then release of payment to you after he receives the domain.

Well, definitely you start with greetings & congrats sort of formal messages to start a communication. If you dont receive a reply, the best thing that people suggest is to call the buyer at the mentioned number on the sales page or email him.

The best mindset is to think positive & talk positive with the buyer or whoever has won the domain at your auction.

If you dont receive a reply for few days, you can open a dispute if you like from the sales completion area.

Mention your case, and they will allow the other party to reply within 72 hours, and then flippa team decides the case on merit. If the reply does not come, you can relist your auction for free and the Flippa success fee will be waived.

This was one simple example of dispute as per your question, but there can be many reasons for it.

However, I will always suggest you to talk positively even when you open the dispute that is officially required when the buyer disappears.

Hope it would help. Thanks for Reading. :)

-- Couldn't have said it better myself!

One thing to add -- if you had upgrades applied to your auction and the buyer goes AWOL, you will be entitled to a relisting with those upgrades re-applied at no charge. Filing a dispute and communication via our Customer Success Team's assistance will answer all subsequent inquiries on this...

•••
[email protected] did absolutely nothing in my case. In fact they gave me 3 choices;

- Pay the "success fee"
- File an official dispute
- Get banned from the platform. (Yes, me as the seller who didn't get paid. I was told my emails were not sufficient and that a dispute had to be filed).

As for the upgrades, these were not applied when I relisted. Some were, it was added to the homepage for a couple hours, but it wasn't tagged as a premium auction like it originally was.

•••
[email protected] did absolutely nothing in my case. In fact they gave me 3 choices;

- Pay the "success fee"
- File an official dispute
- Get banned from the platform. (Yes, me as the seller who didn't get paid. I was told my emails were not sufficient and that a dispute had to be filed).

As for the upgrades, these were not applied when I relisted. Some were, it was added to the homepage for a couple hours, but it wasn't tagged as a premium auction like it originally was.

That doesn't sound right, but if so it's unacceptable. Please provide me the Support ticket # (here or PM, your call) and I'll dig into it.

•••
and

Initially I replied to an automatic message asking for payment saying that the transaction didn't complete. The initial response is below.

There were a few exchanges but all with the same result. An email saying that the buyer hadn't paid was not sufficient. I also got multiple emails from Flippa right up to the final warning that my account was about to be suspended.

The buyer had a strong buying history on Flippa. I didn't want to tarnish his account if it was just an oversight, but he wasn't responsive on Flippa or through email. Support didn't want to work it out any other way than a dispute, so I filed a dispute a day before they said they'd ban my account. I won the dispute in the end and didn't have to pay the $6 'success fee'

I was expecting that filing an official dispute was going to be a bigger procedure than it was... It ended up being painless, but still seemed like an unnecessary extra step when my time had already been wasted on a listing that ended with a non-paying bidder.

"Hi,

Thanks for contacting us!

As per Flippa procedure, Payment of Success Fees for a completed Flippa listing is required by the due date, regardless of the status of the transaction between buyer and seller, and will avoid your Flippa account being suspended.

If this transaction did not complete successfully, please lodge a Dispute through the Sale Completion Area of the listing to get the sale cancelled.

Please let us know if you need further information or assistance."

•••
and

Initially I replied to an automatic message asking for payment saying that the transaction didn't complete. The initial response is below.

There were a few exchanges but all with the same result. An email saying that the buyer hadn't paid was not sufficient. I also got multiple emails from Flippa right up to the final warning that my account was about to be suspended.

The buyer had a strong buying history on Flippa. I didn't want to tarnish his account if it was just an oversight, but he wasn't responsive on Flippa or through email. Support didn't want to work it out any other way than a dispute, so I filed a dispute a day before they said they'd ban my account. I won the dispute in the end and didn't have to pay the $6 'success fee'

I was expecting that filing an official dispute was going to be a bigger procedure than it was... It ended up being painless, but still seemed like an unnecessary extra step when my time had already been wasted on a listing that ended with a non-paying bidder.

"Hi,

Thanks for contacting us!

As per Flippa procedure, Payment of Success Fees for a completed Flippa listing is required by the due date, regardless of the status of the transaction between buyer and seller, and will avoid your Flippa account being suspended.

If this transaction did not complete successfully, please lodge a Dispute through the Sale Completion Area of the listing to get the sale cancelled.

Please let us know if you need further information or assistance."

Yes, just to keep in mind (for everyone moving forward): a dispute is the only way to officially lodge transaction related complaints. All else should go to [email protected], whether the general inbox or ATTN. Marketplace Integrity.

•••
Hello,

Thanks in advance!

That's like asking: how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll? Because no one knows the answer. Not even Flippa.

Within 24 hours someone from Flippa will be here with a response that will go back and forth, but won't really answer this question. Because that's how Flippa rolls.

If you ask me, Flippa really needs to run for president.

I'd definitely vote for Flippa over Hilary.

•••
Yes, just to keep in mind (for everyone moving forward): a dispute is the only way to officially lodge transaction related complaints. All else should go to [email protected], whether the general inbox or ATTN. Marketplace Integrity.

Yeah, just send Flippa an email, and they'll get right back to you.

•••
Yeah, just send Flippa an email, and they'll get right back to you.

If you have issues, bring them to me, thanks.

•••
Flippa buyer already paid for wining bid via paypal, I have sent PM to them on Sale Completion Area to complete the domain transfer several times and didn't received reply from them. now the domain name is getting expired. what i will do? will I renew my domain and sell to other buyer and refund them?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back