IT.COM

Internet and the Top 50

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

999names

Account Closed
Impact
The last time I looked at the list of top 50 sites online was a few years back when MySpace was number 3. The first time I looked at the list was in 1999 when aol and yahoo were number 2 and 3 respectively.

This time I looked there were 9 Chinese web sites, two Japanese and one Russian websites in the Top 50. It amazes me how fast things change and this is only the top of the ice berg. Chinese population is vast and they're not even all online yet. Heck their broadband is not even up to our speeds and they command 9 top sites in the world out of 50.

Bravo

Another stat that amazed me was the countries that spent the most time online. India is second behind United States? Seriously India only has 10 percent of its population online I can only really imagine when all 1 billion something would be online.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
...This time I looked there were 9 Chinese web sites, two Japanese and one Russian websites in the Top 50....

Those countries are having their own fonts. :blink:

So do you think there will be more future for IDN names?

:rolleyes:

•••
Thanks for putting this together and sharing.

No prob Rick

I am a statistics nerd I believe statistics always tell the truth.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Those countries are having their own fonts. :blink:

So do you think there will be more future for IDN names?

:rolleyes:

Hi Casual,

I don't believe people in countries that have the ability of registering IDNs care much for their own "fonts". The best example I can give of this would be the Turkish language. Turks number around 73 million and only about 49 percent are online so far with 20 percent having access to broadband.

However they are number 4 country in the world as far as being online the most after US and India. Even though the Turkish language is riddled with accents no one really cares about those domains. This is due to IDNs being introduced late to these populations so now every society that has the ability to use IDNs has not embraced them.

One of my pilot studies from Turkey shows that most Middle Eastern countries equate domains to the Latin characters without accents, it's "cooler" to not use accents and marks on their alphabets.

I also must add that Turkish domain names are appreciating 10 percent average compounded each year, same is true with .pl names for Poland they are appreciating 12 percent compounded each year.

My opinion is, don't care so much about IDNs just get some cctlds. Always remember that only 20 to 50 percent of Latin America and certain parts of Europe is online and that number is even smaller if you count only the broadband users. So the tsunami of internet and cctld users is just beginning. Imo after ICANN hits the markets with hundreds of extensions the cctlds will get even stronger. Another gem you might want to look into is .pe My studies show a sleeping giant of very Internet savy people in Peru.

Note: when you register domains in other countries extensions be sure to get their language in that extension I too often see English words being registered under .pl of Poland or .mx of Mexico.

Last edited:
•••
Being in software sales there are many Turkish and Indian firms that buy from us. I also agree that this is the tip of the iceberg for CCTLDS.
who knows .com could one day be taken over by .in. Hey dont get upset when I say this you .com fanaticos. I say it because when .in of India came out most Indians were going for .coms. That continued for years BUT the tide is turning NOW. I see that Indians are registering .ins and .co.in more.

I agree when ICANN realeses tens of thousands of extensions people will go to either .com or their cctld extensions They 'll get stronger.

One thing domainers got to realize is that broadband in many countries is not as fast as the US and many people do not have access to broadband yet. When you see stats for people online in other nations this does not include the broadband users. Also those broadband users are not getting the same speed as us. There is a huge infrastructure build up going on in countries like Peru and Brazil for the telecom industry/I agree 100 percent that by the time 50 60 percent of countries like Brazil Mexico India and China with their massive pop go online things will be diff. Did anyone say .com? lol jk Anyways I can see more Brazilian Mexican Chinese etc websites in the Top 50.

Last edited:
•••
... I say it because when .in of India came out most Indians were going for .coms. That continued for years BUT the tide is turning NOW. I see that Indians are registering .ins and .co.in more. ...

I think that's because most good names in .com are already taken.
So the most logical thing for the Indians are registering their own extension.

:imho:

•••
I think that's because most good names in .com are already taken.
So the most logical thing for the Indians are registering their own extension.

:imho:

That is true also Indians Mexicans etc they see their cctld used more by multinational companies in their respected countries so they have become more comfortable in using their country's extension.

The great sales of the future years will be the country's tlds.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back