NameSilo

question Is new gTLD .online going to give the .org a running?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

itsmeyall

Established Member
Impact
I was just curious, so I did a search to see what kind of sites users are making with the new .online extension. Though my search was just casual and not by any means comprehensive, I noticed a sort of pattern that users like churches museums and organizations are starting to use it. Before .org was to go to name for these types of entities. I also noticed that in the yahoo search there was more than a couple people using this for their personal names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Short answer: no. Org is for organization and been around almost since the beginning.

.Online is too long and sounds like the mid-90's again with America Online.

•••
I don't understand the use of this TLD... What's the use of .online when the whole internet is online...

•••
I don't understand the use of this TLD... What's the use of .online when the whole internet is online...

Why use .net when we know the internet is on a network?

It just won't work if we put blank spaces after the dot.

•••
Why use .net when we know the internet is on a network?

It just won't work if we put blank spaces after the dot.
Correct but .net was originally started for companies which are involved in network technology... It was only later that they were opened for general public..

Now how does it make a difference when a TLD such as .online is launched after 30 years of internet existence?

•••
Correct but .net was originally started for companies which are involved in network technology... It was only later that they were opened for general public..

Now how does it make a difference when a TLD such as .online is launched after 30 years of internet existence?
It's quite simple really, it's got to do with supply and demand.

If a webmaster decides to use a .online instead of a .org then .org will lose out - this will happen make no doubt about it !

•••
It's quite simple really, it's got to do with supply and demand. If a webmaster decides to use a .online instead of a .org then .org will lose out - this will happen make no doubt about it !
I was thinking like that because it seems like some organizations were choosing to use it.

•••
IMO it doesn't make much sense for orgs but for commercial purposes I like it albeit it's a bit long. Something like carparts.online, boats.online, condos.online works for me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back