Dynadot

debate Is the Chinese NNNN situation taking our eye off the ball?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gareth1614

In a world of .mes, be a .comTop Member
Impact
Yes, it's clear that the LLLL.com/LLL.com/LLL/net/LLLL.net/NNNNNNNNN.com etc. . . boom has dominated domain sales lately - certainly here on Namepros where we rarely see anything but these domains sold at any decent price recently.

My question is: Is the recent price surge of these domains, which of course dominate sales here on Namepros in terms of auctions but also Buy it Now and Make an Offer, a reflection of things to come, or only a temporary thing due to this Chinese situation?

If so, this may well impact on sales of otherwise strong domain names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe that one day the Chinese will take over the world. Now that's the day that Chinese domain names will start becoming valuable. So you keep buying Chinese Domain Names, and make sure you will them to the most trustworthy of your offspring, and make sure they will them to the most trustworthy of their offspring, and one day one of your ancestors will fetch a large sum of money by selling the domain name you bought now, and then have to give the high majority of their earnings to the the Communist Government.

•••
The liquid domain "boom" has been prevalent here in the forum(s) because of the general transparency of pricing. You can see one NNNN.com being sold and put some general equation through a pretty easy rule set to come up with what another NNNN.com should or could be worth. Not a perfect science, but a rather logical one -- and here activity breeds activity. The more of them you see on auction or selling, the more people feel comfortable getting involved and buying them... the more people who have them will be interested in listing them, and on and on.

I've also said in a few places, and I'll echo it again, I don't think this is very "temporary" given the lack of trust the Chinese have in their currency and their stock market. My thesis is that in China, numeric .com's are being seen as a rather stable investment in a country where there is little stability or freedom from government intervention.

But to the other side of your question / point... it's far less easy for individual domainers to look at, (just for example grabbing from your sig), Duels(.)org and Bows(.)biz and make a decent valuation on what they're willing to spend. Some people absolutely can and when there's a good value from a seller, there are often buyers quick to jump in. Still it is much harder to find comparable name sales... and each "word" domain tends to be very specific to a niche group or industry... one which the a domain buyer may or may not have an interest in or knowledge of.

I don't think the liquid name "action" has any impact on the non-liquid good names out there. Those names have always traditionally sold slower and less often.

•••
Is there correlation in sales via 4.cn and the West? Maybe not the recent 4.cn as that was the exposed International auction, but earlier listings?

Or how about the market mentality that almost crashed the stocks due to general traders influenced by the government. Any correlation?

What about MIIT?

•••
The liquid domain "boom" has been prevalent here in the forum(s) because of the general transparency of pricing. You can see one NNNN.com being sold and put some general equation through a pretty easy rule set to come up with what another NNNN.com should or could be worth. Not a perfect science, but a rather logical one -- and here activity breeds activity. The more of them you see on auction or selling, the more people feel comfortable getting involved and buying them... the more people who have them will be interested in listing them, and on and on.

I've also said in a few places, and I'll echo it again, I don't think this is very "temporary" given the lack of trust the Chinese have in their currency and their stock market. My thesis is that in China, numeric .com's are being seen as a rather stable investment in a country where there is little stability or freedom from government intervention.

But to the other side of your question / point... it's far less easy for individual domainers to look at, (just for example grabbing from your sig), Duels(.)org and Bows(.)biz and make a decent valuation on what they're willing to spend. Some people absolutely can and when there's a good value from a seller, there are often buyers quick to jump in. Still it is much harder to find comparable name sales... and each "word" domain tends to be very specific to a niche group or industry... one which the a domain buyer may or may not have an interest in or knowledge of.

I don't think the liquid name "action" has any impact on the non-liquid good names out there. Those names have always traditionally sold slower and less often.

Great points !

It's my understanding buying all shorts in .com is perceived as a means to preserve wealth outside of china. What is interesting is the very small investment club that is able to buy and the assumption by all that the unusable 3-4 L's will remain valuable.
Some just don't make sense in any language. :)
The N's have so many more generic uses in the China market. A very large market. = for the best numbers, a very long time.

The English market is so much more saturated than the China or India market and a lot of mega corps are now getting their own extensions. Sales outside of the US/Europe will continue to out pace for at least another 10 years.

"the general transparency of pricing" - Check the whois change before you believe the sale actually took place.

Cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back